PDA

View Full Version : Steering issues -98 f150

Drew
01-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Hey guys, I could sure use some help here. I've got a 98 f150, 4wd, 4.6l auto (3 door, for what it's worth). On startup this morning I noticed the steering wheel turned harder than normal when sitting still. As the truck started to move, it got easier so I automatically thought power steering. At city/highway speed however, the effort level needed fluctuates regardless of speed. It feels to me like it's in the column, but I'm kind've wondering about the gearbox and/or front suspension. There's also no difference between left and right turns. Fluid is full and reasonably clean. Anybody had this problem before?

Jersey_Joe
01-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Hey guys, I could sure use some help here. I've got a 98 f150, 4wd, 4.6l auto (3 door, for what it's worth). On startup this morning I noticed the steering wheel turned harder than normal when sitting still. As the truck started to move, it got easier so I automatically thought power steering. At city/highway speed however, the effort level needed fluctuates regardless of speed. It feels to me like it's in the column, but I'm kind've wondering about the gearbox and/or front suspension. There's also no difference between left and right turns. Fluid is full and reasonably clean. Anybody had this problem before?
Sounds like the power steering pump. 100$. Easy to do.
Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar prob with my last truck.