PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 performance help

Shooter_189
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone, Im lookin into rebuilding my 4.6 and need some advise as to what parts should i get i want to turbo it or procharge it any ideas?

RhinoZ24
01-04-2013, 12:39 PM
As far as I know there isn't a turbo kit for the 4.6L truck engine. You can however take a supercharger from a 4.6L Mustang and use it for your truck as I've heard of people doing that. Same configuration I guess. If you do it let us know and post some pictures as I have an 05 with the 4.6L and might be interested in doing that one day.

Raptor05121
01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Well first you need to decide what you want to do. Turbo or Super. Either way, if you want any sort of REAL power, I'd start with building the internals and getting everything forged. You can run stock internals fine up to 8psi, but don't expect the engine to last 300,000 miles doing that. Supercharging will be easier, but turbo will yield more power.

Jersey_Joe
01-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Shooter. Listen to me my freind. First welcome to forum. And there r plenty of supercharger kits from ford racing that will bolt right up to your engine. Or. A turbo is also a good choice. However I will not b able to give any advice on that. I've done a little work on em. But I'm no pro. BUT Superchargers r my specialty big power is deff my game. Lol. But there r so many people on here that can help. Namely ^^^^^. The ones who posted good peeps. Plenty of website devoted just for this matter. Remember. Google is your friend.

----------

Me personally. I'm not a fan of syntrifacle blowers.the power is in the twin screws. Whipples r great as well. Syntrifacles r kinda makin there way of the stage.

Shooter_189
01-06-2013, 01:45 AM
I just rather talk too yall about this project instead of google just cuz it has steered me in the wrong directions before and this engine is basically the same as a gt mustang engine so thats another reason i want to mod it and when this is a complete project i will post losts of pics i plan on naming it "Black Widow" due to the colors I want to use. Im am really excited to do this project and have one of the few out there. :cool:

Jersey_Joe
01-06-2013, 06:28 AM
My buddy has a 4.6 in a pick up. Superchargered 680 hp. 4x4. It's a beast. I don't think I hve any picks tho. It's all mustang mods. Yes they all fit. It's the cobra motor. I had an 03. And loved it. Plenty of mods. I just couldn't tip 1000 hp with it though. But plenty out there bud

Shooter_189
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Well that makes me happy to know. Do you know what years mix match with 98 as far as cams?

Jersey_Joe
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
98-05? None. Different motor. Went from 2v to three. If u have an 05. U should have a three valve. Believe it or not. That is the 03-04 cobra block. With the eaton roots blower it made 400 hp That's a hell of a # to start with
Pistons. Mild cam u can find the kit online fer cheap fer the supercharger and innercooler Would b a monster

Shooter_189
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Hmmm alright i ask cuz mine is a 98 so pretty much i have to stick with same year parts?

Jersey_Joe
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Same era yes. I'm sure u can upgrade some thing bud

baldyman
01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
hey joe, i have a 4.6L in my '04. do the mustang parts fit on this motor as well?

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Yup. I think u have the 2v motor. All mustang parts should fit on your motor. Even superchargers. At work now. But can give u a run down hopefully later. But I do know there r transferable parts

baldyman
01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
okay great, thanks brother!

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Look at it this way. The 4.6 in the mustang is the same as in ur truck. With a different intake throttle body. Air system exc... Stupid little sensor stuff and that's about it. In the mustang. Everything is bigger. This the muscle car. That's what also makes your bad ass. Cause it's a tow monster change the small little stuff and power is born. Same thing they do with the new coyote motor in the truck and in the mustang today Google is your freind brother. All depends what kinda power your lookin for. But plenty of it out there. Happy horsepower!

----------

Make your truck B A. Lol. Damn iphone

----------

What exactly you lookin for bud?

baldyman
01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
thats a really big help, joe! thank you! i spent a couple hours reading stuff online and talking to people about it. a lot of conflicting opinions unfortunately. do you think i have many options to add some hp on a tight budget?

im just looking to add some horsepower without spending thousands, if that is realistic lol

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Exhaust headers k&n air filter. Or cold air kit. Electric fan. Throttle body. Intake. But don't fall fer the throttle body spacer gag. It will give u a little whistle. And that's it. Maybe .02 better in milage. And also a programmer. I have mine set up pretty good and I have a cortex runner from superchips. I'm not sold on it though. I would rather have the sct scanner. But of course I went fer the better deal. Should have just bought what I wanted in the first place lol. But plenty of things to keep u busy my freind

----------

Exhaust and an a cold air kit could get u 30-35hp.depends on what u do with your throttle body.

baldyman
01-08-2013, 06:38 PM
ya i have a few friends that drive the little hondas and all they talk about are throttle body spacers, so i knew they couldnt be very good lol. maybe i'll go for the throttle body mod first since the base k&n intake for my truck is $350 here. would you recommend a cat back exhaust? i priced out a magnaflow cat back for $900. would my computer need to be reprogrammed after these kind of mods?

sorry for all the questions

Shooter_189
01-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Oh here is what the truck looks like

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2013, 06:57 PM
No. No computer stuff fer awhile. Ur good. All of the exhaust manufactures r great. IMO I think flowmaster is the best. Purely for sound. 400$ cat back. I would do your exhaust and the air kit. Why? U say. Your gonna put a throttle body on. It's bigger. How will it get your hp up if it can't breath right? Got me? If your motor can in hale and exhale better. Your on your way for more power

----------

Wait for the throttle body. Till u get set up and ready. Ya know.

----------

No worries bout all the questions. How u think I figured it all out. I asked a bunch too. Lol. That's what we r all on here for homes. Glad to help

baldyman
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
wow $400 for a cat back flowmaster exhaust? i think i'll make a trip south of the boarder for that. seems like canadian prices are way higher. but thank you again for all the advice, really appreciate it. hopefully i'll be getting some good hp outa my truck soon :)

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Rihnoz24 got one and I think he paid 400$. Was about two months ago. But he is about do on soon and will prob comment on the post. U can order directly from flowmaster. There # is online they have California hrs. But they will b happy to answer all your questions. Very nice knowledgable people over there. What ev ya need but. I love hp. However I can help.
Must destroy the ricers!! I do. And I love it

baldyman
01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
alright thats great i'll give them a call when theyre open. hopefully shipping wont be too bad. think i should do that before the cold air kit?

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Yup. Def do that first.

baldyman
01-08-2013, 08:22 PM
okay thanks man, will do

RhinoZ24
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
I got mine off of Autoanything.com, originally for the American Thunder cat-back system for the Aluminized Steel kit, it was $514.99 or something (pre-tax and shipping). But they have sales all the time for 15% off and usually free shipping. Plus I got a $50 rebate from Flowmaster, so after everything it was around $440 (not including the rebate). As for power, listen to Joe, exhaust and CAI, bigger throttle body but no throttle body spacer. Get a chip eventually. And there is a difference between the Mustang and the F-150 I thought Joe, isn't the Mustang a 3V motor, cause the 4.6L truck motor was 2V until 2009 I believe cause I know mine is 2V.

----------

And Shooter, I'd go with a supercharger for your truck. For other power too like we've said, put an intake system to breathe better and an exhaust system to better the flow, that'll help your power. And with the supercharger, your 4.6L will be beastly, keep us updated on it.

RhinoZ24
01-09-2013, 03:44 AM
And you'll have to go with the kit off a Mustang I believe, as it's hard to find a kit made for the 4.6L truck engine. All the kits I see are for the 5.4L.

Jersey_Joe
01-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Ryno ur rcorrect. But the mustang didn't always have the 3 valve motor. It had the 2 before the cobra. Lots of interchangeable things ya know

baldyman
01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
ya i think autoanything.com has 40% off right now actually, so maybe i'll dip into my education savings and pick up some performance parts. fipk k&n is pretty well priced. do you guys know what year the mustangs switched from a 2 valve to a 3 valve? and would both motors utilize the same throttle body?

RhinoZ24
01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah, my exhaust price was higher because California was the only state sales tax applied to, so it would've been around $400-$410, Idk about Canada though. And good question, I was just about to ask that.

baldyman
01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
man we get ripped off here in canada. everything is at least double the price

RhinoZ24
01-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah you do, but compared to the rest of the states, we get ripped off on California because all the taxes and regulations lol.

baldyman
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
ive heard its pretty rough their for the vehicle laws and regulations. once i graduate college im looking for a tennessee or pennsylvania job for sure

RhinoZ24
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah anywhere but here haha

baldyman
01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
found a few mustang throttle bodies for a 4.6. should i be looking for ones from a 2v or 3v, or does it matter? i cant find much online on the topic

RhinoZ24
01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
For the throttle body I don't think it matters because that should be the same setup regardless of 2V or 3V.

baldyman
01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
alright i'll try and get to the place tomorrow and see if it will fit