PDA

View Full Version : Clicking/knock noise at cold start

johnny
12-03-2014, 02:36 PM
I have a '98 Ford F-150 4.6L V8 with 170K miles. Runs great! But its now making a clicking/knocking noise at cold start. It takes a 4 or 5 min after running that it stops or diminishes a some but not completely. I notice that it stops completely at times during an acceleration. Some say it the oil, some say it the timing. Looking for the right answer. If anyone knows it please let me and anyone else with this same problem know. I'm on a budget and the guessing gets expensive. Thanks.

dchawk81
12-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't have THE answer but if it's more of a clacking...like a quiet diesel...my '98 5.4 does it too. Mostly on cold starts and also goes away quickly. I do think it's the oil.

RexReid
12-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I have a '98 Ford F-150 4.6L V8 with 170K miles. Runs great! But its now making a clicking/knocking noise at cold start. It takes a 4 or 5 min after running that it stops or diminishes a some but not completely. I notice that it stops completely at times during an acceleration. Some say it the oil, some say it the timing. Looking for the right answer. If anyone knows it please let me and anyone else with this same problem know. I'm on a budget and the guessing gets expensive. Thanks.

Anytime an engine is not being lubricated, you are causing engine damage. I know it sounds foolish, but first check the oil level. That is exactly what is does when it is low and it is the easiest thing to rule out. After that I might try an additive, but I wouldn't ignore it or make light of it.

johnny
12-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Anytime an engine is not being lubricated, you are causing engine damage. I know it sounds foolish, but first check the oil level. That is exactly what is does when it is low and it is the easiest thing to rule out. After that I might try an additive, but I wouldn't ignore it or make light of it.

Yes it does have oil and at the proper level too. I'm wondering if the more mileage it gets the different weight of oil may be required. Just not sure if thicker or thinner maybe.

----------

I'm wondering if the more mileage it gets the different weight of oil may be required. Just not sure if thicker or thinner maybe.

----------

I don't have THE answer but if it's more of a clacking...like a quiet diesel...my '98 5.4 does it too. Mostly on cold starts and also goes away quickly. I do think it's the oil.

I'm wondering if the more mileage it gets the different weight of oil may be required. Just not sure if thicker or thinner maybe

Lewissa81
12-03-2014, 09:51 PM
The biggest clue to me is that it goes away. I would try to locate the noise. Get a mechanics stethoscope (or a big screw driver or crowbar or something like that) and try to figure out where it's coming from.
First I would check different parts of the valve covers. You might have one or more lash adjusters sticking, but free up after oil pressure is built and the oil is warmed.

If it doesn't sound like it's coming from there, I would very carefully check the timing cover. The timing chain tensioners are also hydraulic, and could be doing the same thing.

RexReid
12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
The biggest clue to me is that it goes away. I would try to locate the noise. Get a mechanics stethoscope (or a big screw driver or crowbar or something like that) and try to figure out where it's coming from.
First I would check different parts of the valve covers. You might have one or more lash adjusters sticking, but free up after oil pressure is built and the oil is warmed.

If it doesn't sound like it's coming from there, I would very carefully check the timing cover. The timing chain tensioners are also hydraulic, and could be doing the same thing.

That makes a lot of sense. So, would you drive it like that or get it done right away--I'm thinking right away.

Lewissa81
12-03-2014, 11:40 PM
It's definitely better to fix it as soon as possible. Depending on what is actually wrong will determine how long you can let it go. I can't advise on how urgent it is until you know what it is. I wouldn't feel like it needs to be parked at this point.

RhinoZ24
12-04-2014, 01:15 AM
It's possibly could be injectors, had a few people say their fuel injectors would be audible when cold but the clicking would go away once warm.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd

dchawk81
12-04-2014, 01:48 AM
It's definitely better to fix it as soon as possible. Depending on what is actually wrong will determine how long you can let it go. I can't advise on how urgent it is until you know what it is. I wouldn't feel like it needs to be parked at this point.
Mine has been clacking since I got it last November. It's so light and brief I don't see the point in worrying about it. My 2.0 SPI is WAY worse until it warms up. Clack City, USA.

RexReid
12-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Mine has been clacking since I got it last November. It's so light and brief I don't see the point in worrying about it. My 2.0 SPI is WAY worse until it warms up. Clack City, USA.

Sometimes when you ignore a problem it goes away. More often than not it gets worse and the cure gets more expensive too. Here are a couple of things that people toss around: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" "ignorance is bliss". No one is going to shell out the money but you.

dchawk81
12-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Sometimes when you ignore a problem it goes away. More often than not it gets worse and the cure gets more expensive too. Here are a couple of things that people toss around: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" "ignorance is bliss". No one is going to shell out the money but you.
It's like freaking out about cold tire wobble.

Sometimes they just do that. Then things warm up and all is well.

I save my worrying for things that actually get worse.