PDA

View Full Version : Knock at idle

fordrules
11-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Got my oil changed today at dealer.when i got home today hearing a sporadic knock at idle. Oil level is good . Any ideas ?

----------

2013 150 with 5.0

Ford Fan#1
11-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Got my oil changed today at dealer.when i got home today hearing a sporadic knock at idle. Oil level is good . Any ideas ? ---------- 2013 150 with 5.0 I would wait about a week if it's still there I would take it back. My mom's explorer did that for a few days. Then it was quiet. Although I did it myself.

AlbertaOilPatchF150
01-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Could be the start of the "normal" 5.0 knock. A lot of them do it, some are really bad, mine isn't terrible but noticible.

fordrules
01-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Went away after a day or so.

DWC (donewithchevy )
01-10-2015, 09:18 PM
I know many with the knock now ( 11's, 12's, 13"s and 14's) Your the 6th person I know of that the knock started after dealer service oil change,( mine was after the first service) ..... Including myself. Maybe it was always there and maybe it showed up after but one things for sure, ........like mine and the others I know, sometimes you'll hear it and other times it's barely audible , but it WILL be back. I'm not so worried about it really, but will be pointing it out at next service sometime over the next two weeks, along with an intermittent shudder I've been having at different shift points that I can now reproduce with heavy throttle from first to second. I'll update this thread after the service and let y'all know what they say.

And to me seems to be louder or shows up when up to temp mostly. But have , although not often , noticed it at cold idle. Also it's louder in park and neutral and quieter in gear . At least this is what I've noticed.

RexReid
01-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Could be the start of the "normal" 5.0 knock. A lot of them do it, some are really bad, mine isn't terrible but noticible.

As you know, I don't know nothin bout nothin. However a "normal" and "knock" don't go together unless a diesel.

Ford Fan#1
01-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Went away after a day or so. yay I was right for once :)

Jersey_Joe
01-11-2015, 12:25 AM
I know many with the knock now ( 11's, 12's, 13"s and 14's) Your the 6th person I know of that the knock started after dealer service oil change,( mine was after the first service) ..... Including myself. Maybe it was always there and maybe it showed up after but one things for sure, ........like mine and the others I know, sometimes you'll hear it and other times it's barely audible , but it WILL be back. I'm not so worried about it really, but will be pointing it out at next service sometime over the next two weeks, along with an intermittent shudder I've been having at different shift points that I can now reproduce with heavy throttle from first to second. I'll update this thread after the service and let y'all know what they say. And to me seems to be louder or shows up when up to temp mostly. But have , although not often , noticed it at cold idle. Also it's louder in park and neutral and quieter in gear . At least this is what I've noticed.
Mine does it at idel too. If it's for more than 5 mins. I had the shutter in the tranny to. It also made a horrible thump as it downshifted into first while braking. They put it in the computer and fixed the shift prob. It still a little faint. I feel like it's still there. Slightly. I also think I'm very picky. So. Now? So far so good

RhinoZ24
01-11-2015, 02:06 AM
Mine does it at idel too. If it's for more than 5 mins. I had the shutter in the tranny to. It also made a horrible thump as it downshifted into first while braking. They put it in the computer and fixed the shift prob. It still a little faint. I feel like it's still there. Slightly. I also think I'm very picky. So. Now? So far so good

Just like the 5.4 had a ticking the 5.0 has a knock? No!!! We are not having a repeat of that engine...ever. Damn Engineers lol

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd

RexReid
01-11-2015, 12:34 PM

Joe,

If it's for more than 5 mins. What does that mean?

When I think about odd noises, I think problems. I think of an engine as quiet running with the exceptions of sucking air and blowing exhaust. Sure, the fan makes noise, the belts can too. Who care? But a knock(of pistons) is caused by exploding gas and hard on the engine as is sound in the valves or bearings.

Jersey_Joe
01-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Joe, If it's for more than 5 mins. What does that mean? When I think about odd noises, I think problems. I think of an engine as quiet running with the exceptions of sucking air and blowing exhaust. Sure, the fan makes noise, the belts can too. Who care? But a knock(of pistons) is caused by exploding gas and hard on the engine as is sound in the valves or bearings.
That means if I run it for a longer period than 5 minutes. Witch is 6 mins or more ...... Lol. I'm kidding. Tbh. I don't care if it blows up. Lol. Truth. But it's not burning oil. There's nothing bad in the oil. I've had it tested 4 times since I've had it. Why? Because I check the oil in the car. It's only a few more $$ to have another test done. So with that being said. That's about all u can do without pulling the head And I'm not doin that again. Lol. So it will b a call to Ford. Come pick it up and fix it. Lol. All ford racing parts warrentied by ford.

----------

And honestly. I've heard it a handful of times. And it was balls a$$ cold out when I did

----------

And honestly. I've heard it a handful of times. And it was balls a$$ cold out when I did

RhinoZ24
01-11-2015, 03:34 PM
That means if I run it for a longer period than 5 minutes. Witch is 6 mins or more ...... Lol. I'm kidding. Tbh. I don't care if it blows up. Lol. Truth. But it's not burning oil. There's nothing bad in the oil. I've had it tested 4 times since I've had it. Why? Because I check the oil in the car. It's only a few more $$ to have another test done. So with that being said. That's about all u can do without pulling the head And I'm not doin that again. Lol. So it will b a call to Ford. Come pick it up and fix it. Lol. All ford racing parts warrentied by ford.

----------

----------

Yet my decade old 4.6 is still quiet as can be...you can hear the injectors if the hood is open but that's about it haha. The 5.0 needs to take notes so that it's perfect lol.

AlbertaOilPatchF150
01-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Mine only does it intermittently too, it idles all day, which doesn't help it any but I have noticed it more on fresh clean oil than any other time. Just hopped out and listened to it, quiet as a mouse, tomorrow could be totally different, who knows? I know I have full warranty to 200000km, that's all that matters to me, if it piles up, Ford puts a new engine in, their problem not mine. The truck will likely be traded off before the warranty runs out so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. 135102km left before I have to worry about it.

----------

Rhino - my knocking 5.0 will still eat your 4.6 for breakfast on the road or off of it! lol jk

RexReid
01-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Mine only does it intermittently too, it idles all day, which doesn't help it any but I have noticed it more on fresh clean oil than any other time. Just hopped out and listened to it, quiet as a mouse, tomorrow could be totally different, who knows? I know I have full warranty to 200000km, that's all that matters to me, if it piles up, Ford puts a new engine in, their problem not mine. The truck will likely be traded off before the warranty runs out so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. 135102km left before I have to worry about it.

----------

Rhino - my knocking 5.0 will still eat your 4.6 for breakfast on the road or off of it! lol jk

I kind of get what you are saying about how it is not your problem. If you need to make a claim and go through the process, I wonder if you will still feet that way? I also think if there is a problem you want to document it. I went back to refresh my memory. I am not sure what oil the dealer is using and I really want to do it myself anyhow, but I have zero issues using full syn.

AlbertaOilPatchF150
01-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Believe me, they know about it. When it first showed up after an oil change I went in there and made the service manager and the bosses of both the Quicklane and major service shops come and listen to it and document it. They said they've seen it quite a few times, but Ford isn't telling them what the cause is or the fix for it yet, so they've just been documenting it.

Mine gets full synthetic Mobil 1 5W20 and a Motorcraft filter every 8000km, as per the dealership's recommendation due to the excessive idling time.

Jersey_Joe
01-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Mine only does it intermittently too, it idles all day, which doesn't help it any but I have noticed it more on fresh clean oil than any other time. Just hopped out and listened to it, quiet as a mouse, tomorrow could be totally different, who knows? I know I have full warranty to 200000km, that's all that matters to me, if it piles up, Ford puts a new engine in, their problem not mine. The truck will likely be traded off before the warranty runs out so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. 135102km left before I have to worry about it. ---------- Rhino - my knocking 5.0 will still eat your 4.6 for breakfast on the road or off of it! lol jk
Woo hoooo. Now that's a rave right Der!

----------

Believe me, they know about it. When it first showed up after an oil change I went in there and made the service manager and the bosses of both the Quicklane and major service shops come and listen to it and document it. They said they've seen it quite a few times, but Ford isn't telling them what the cause is or the fix for it yet, so they've just been documenting it. Mine gets full synthetic Mobil 1 5W20 and a Motorcraft filter every 8000km, as per the dealership's recommendation due to the excessive idling time.
Full SYN here too. Mobile 1 and motorcraft filter.

----------

Ford told me the same thing. But leme tell u. It ain't hurtin that bad. If the pedal goes down bet ur sweet @$$ ur gonna know it. Lol. Ain't hiding it now. I'm in for two times tellin ford about it. And that's verbatim what they told me lol

----------

woo hoooo. Now that's a rave right der! ---------- full syn here too. Mobile 1 and motorcraft filter. ---------- ford told me the same thing. But leme tell u. It ain't hurtin that bad. If the pedal goes down bet ur sweet @$$ ur gonna know it. Lol. Ain't hiding it now. I'm in for two times tellin ford about it. And that's verbatim what they told me lol
race

AlbertaOilPatchF150
01-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Off road, in SNOW!!!! LOL

RexReid
01-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Believe me, they know about it. When it first showed up after an oil change I went in there and made the service manager and the bosses of both the Quicklane and major service shops come and listen to it and document it. They said they've seen it quite a few times, but Ford isn't telling them what the cause is or the fix for it yet, so they've just been documenting it.

Mine gets full synthetic Mobil 1 5W20 and a Motorcraft filter every 8000km, as per the dealership's recommendation due to the excessive idling time.

Smart move. I am using the same oil. You probably have something in writing. Why do you (your car) idle so much?

RhinoZ24
01-11-2015, 08:25 PM

I should hope it does haha or there's a big problem.

AlbertaOilPatchF150
01-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Smart move. I am using the same oil. You probably have something in writing. Why do you (your car) idle so much?

I don't own a CAR, but my truck is my office. I'm in it from 6am to whenever I get home at night (usually anywhere from 5-8pm).

I've witnessed them documenting it in my truck's maintenance file at the dealership.