PDA

View Full Version : 5.4 2 valve spark plug tips?

Ford Fan#1
10-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Plan on having the spark plugs replaced sometime or maybe doing them myself ( using Motocraft plugs and cops ) I have heard like 4 different torque numbers for the plugs along with thread counts. It was made 9/4/02 if that helps. Use anti seize or dry? Can anyone find the CORRECT torque specs for my truck? Please? Thanks in advance

RhinoZ24
10-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Plan on having the spark plugs replaced sometime or maybe doing them myself ( using Motocraft plugs and cops ) I have heard like 4 different torque numbers for the plugs along with thread counts. It was made 9/4/02 if that helps. Use anti seize or dry? Can anyone find the CORRECT torque specs for my truck? Please? Thanks in advance

Google for the torque specs or call a dealership like I did to verify them. Use a little anti-seize and follow the how to in the how-to sub forum. And yours is a 2V so no special tool or stupid plugs to break off.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Google for the torque specs or call a dealership like I did to verify them. Use a little anti-seize and follow the how to in the how-to sun forum. And yours is a 2V so no special tool or stupid plugs to break off. Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd okay thanks

djfllmn
10-08-2014, 06:00 AM
do it dry so you get the proper torque spec and spec is 25 ft lbs if i remember right

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 06:34 AM
do it dry so you get the proper torque spec and spec is 25 ft lbs if i remember right could you measure it in turns so I wouldn't have to deal with getting a torque wrench

Jersey_Joe
10-08-2014, 06:38 AM
could you measure it in turns so I wouldn't have to deal with getting a torque wrench
Haha. No plugs r easy kid. Don't bug yourself out. Put them in snug and a 1/4 turn tight. You'll b fine

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Haha. No plugs r easy kid. Don't bug yourself out. Put them in snug and a 1/4 turn tight. You'll b fine oh okay, I'm just worried about them blowing out and having to get it rethreaded

RhinoZ24
10-08-2014, 08:23 AM
And isn't your truck 3V since its an '03? Or was '04 the first year they changed that?

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 08:27 AM
And isn't your truck 3V since its an '03? Or was '04 the first year they changed that? Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd 04 is when the 3v came out

RhinoZ24
10-08-2014, 09:43 AM
I could have sworn they had it before then but ok, just makes the plug change a little easier for you lol.

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I could have sworn they had it before then but ok, just makes the plug change a little easier for you lol. lmao a lot easier

Jersey_Joe
10-08-2014, 10:31 AM
lmao a lot easier
Adam. They r plugs. Piece of cake. # 4 is a pain to get to but u should b done in less than an he. Experience or not. You'll b fine

RhinoZ24
10-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Adam. They r plugs. Piece of cake. # 4 is a pain to get to but u should b done in less than an he. Experience or not. You'll b fine

And #8, also #3 and #7 are a little difficult to reach too. And an hour my @$$ lol, not the first time you do it, I haven't even changed mine yet and already know it's gunna be a few hour job. I'm fine with that cause I want it done right, no stripped threads in the head and no ish falling into the cylinders.

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 11:01 AM
And #8, also #3 and #7 are a little difficult to reach too. And an hour my @$$ lol, not the first time you do it, I haven't even changed mine yet and already know it's gunna be a few hour job. I'm fine with that cause I want it done right, no stripped threads in the head and no ish falling into the cylinders. x2 that just sucks ----------
And #8, also #3 and #7 are a little difficult to reach too. And an hour my @$$ lol, not the first time you do it, I haven't even changed mine yet and already know it's gunna be a few hour job. I'm fine with that cause I want it done right, no stripped threads in the head and no ish falling into the cylinders. .. I won't have to worry about #3 ( coil went out a year ago so about 3,000 miles on #3 plug) ----------
Haha. No plugs r easy kid. Don't bug yourself out. Put them in snug and a 1/4 turn tight. You'll b fine so screw them in finger tight then 1/4 turn with the wrench?

RhinoZ24
10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Yup, always by hand first to ensure they are going into the head without cross-threading or stripping.

djfllmn
10-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Oh and do it on a cold engine only

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Oh and do it on a cold engine only will do. Just wondering what would happen if I did it on a hot motor ( aside from getting burnt )

RhinoZ24
10-08-2014, 02:03 PM
The metal expands as it heats up so the plug holes would be bigger and the likely hood of cross-threading increases, also you have a better chance of stripping the thread in the head (since the aluminum becomes more malleable with heat) and costing yourself a few thousand to get it fixed.

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 02:45 PM
The metal expands as it heats up so the plug holes would be bigger and the likely hood of cross-threading increases, also you have a better chance of stripping the thread in the head (since the aluminum becomes more malleable with heat) and costing yourself a few thousand to get it fixed. ah that makes sense

RhinoZ24
10-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Google helps, my friend. So much knowledge on this forum and the internet. Well as long as it's from credible sources lol. So much to learn out there. I learn a lot just surfing different sites during what little free time I can spare lol.

Ford Fan#1
10-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Google helps, my friend. So much knowledge on this forum and the internet. Well as long as it's from credible sources lol. So much to learn out there. I learn a lot just surfing different sites during what little free time I can spare lol. Google just talks crap about the 3 valve. Beacause everyone thinks they only made 3 valve 5.4s

RhinoZ24
10-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Well the 3V's did have a lot of problems and justifiably people that weren't tech savvy got pissed off at money they had to spend for repairs. That's why I said credible sources lol.