PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft

speeddemon
10-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Any gains switching to a lighter/ different driveshaft

RhinoZ24
10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Power gains? Not really anything. The weight of the driveshaft is negligible for losing weight overall. The only way to see gains would be to shorten it, which would require you to either A.) get a bigger transmission to make up for the length and thus adding a lot more weight, or B.) shorten your truck which I don't see that happening lol. Lighter driveshafts do result in less loss of torque to get them spinning but the increase would be so small you wouldn't notice it and I couldn't see spending the money for that. However these are just my own personal opinions here.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd, Nissan and Honda are the leftovers.

Ford Fan#1
10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Any gains switching to a lighter/ different driveshaft maybe like .1 mpg beacause of weight.. That is if it is lighter then the stock one. Maybe other stuff but idk maybe one of the master car builders can chime in.

Jersey_Joe
10-02-2014, 08:16 PM
No. Not a power adder. They r for strength. With extreme power and they'll snap. U upgrade to handle the massive tourqe increases. That's all. Not worth your time yet. Put some big power then we will revisit this thread lol

5pointSlo
10-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Upgrading to a lighter drive shaft and flywheel doesn't add power. It allows you to put more power to the ground with less drive train loss. Your break HP numbers get closer to your wheel HP numbers. Less rotational mass means easier to turn which means less loss at the wheel ends.