PDA

View Full Version : 98 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L shudder on acceleration

NorthWestRiderz
09-16-2014, 03:10 PM
1st of all Ive got a exhaust manifold that has 3 broken bolts (going to fix very soon) its throwing a lean code. Do you think this is the cause of my shudder in acceleration or could it be my COP's also need replaced? Cleaned throttle body, cleaned MAF sensor, new air filter, new o2 sensors, new exhaust system, new fuel filter, but haven't checked the plugs or COP's. I understand broken exhaust manifold bolts are a problem, but is it the only reason for it losing power and shudder upon going up hills between 35-50mph?

Jersey_Joe
09-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Welcome. I would scan it to read the code. How many miles? You may b ready fer coils. It's a common problem. I had an 03. Changed em all the time

----------

Nice beast btw

RhinoZ24
09-16-2014, 05:26 PM
My girlfriends mom has an '07 Expedition with the 5.4 and it did the same thing. Turned out to be a few bad plugs. This sounds like the same issue you are having and to be honest on a vehicle that old and presumably with high mileage, it's time for plugs and COP's

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd

5pointSlo
09-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Well my two cents is this. You know your leaking exhaust is throwing a lean code right? What happens when the ecm sees lean? It adds fuel to fatten it up... Too much fuel equals fouled plugs... Its very possible the coils are fine, but the plugs are fouling

NorthWestRiderz
09-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys I'll pull the plugs tomorrow!

----------

Nice beast btw[/QUOTE]

RhinoZ24
09-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Good luck!

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd, Nissan and Honda are the leftovers.

NorthWestRiderz
09-21-2014, 08:33 PM
**UPDATE** Pulled the COP's to find all plugs were badly fouled and worn. COP's were all good, a little further in found a short hose from the PCV valve that had a hole in it. I wiggled on it and it fell apart ..brittle. Replaced all plugs and the hose and NO MORE SHUDDER ON ACCELERATION!!! Seems easy enough but getting to all the plugs was a 5 hour job it was very tight in the engine bay :(

RhinoZ24
09-21-2014, 08:35 PM
**UPDATE** Pulled the COP's to find all plugs were badly fouled and worn. COP's were all good, a little further in found a short hose from the PCV valve that had a hole in it. I wiggled on it and it fell apart ..brittle. Replaced all plugs and the hose and NO MORE SHUDDER ON ACCELERATION!!! Seems easy enough but getting to all the plugs was a 5 hour job it was very tight in the engine bay :(

That's awesome to hear you fixed it! And yes, modern vehicles are not DIY friendly anymore, too cramped up.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd, Nissan and Honda are the leftovers.

5pointSlo
09-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Glad you fixed it

Ford Fan#1
09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
**UPDATE** Pulled the COP's to find all plugs were badly fouled and worn. COP's were all good, a little further in found a short hose from the PCV valve that had a hole in it. I wiggled on it and it fell apart ..brittle. Replaced all plugs and the hose and NO MORE SHUDDER ON ACCELERATION!!! Seems easy enough but getting to all the plugs was a 5 hour job it was very tight in the engine bay :( sooo want to do mine next? Hahahahaha jk but if your up for it I'll let you work :)

RhinoZ24
09-23-2014, 12:13 AM
sooo want to do mine next? Hahahahaha jk but if your up for it I'll let you work :)

Mine first lol

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows