PDA

View Full Version : 2012 5.0 engine died, pcu reflash, and no actual problems?

wild_man_jack
09-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Hello all, last Saturday I had something strange happen, I started my truck up, let it warm up a couple minutes, pulled out of my driveway and made it about 500 yards and the truck stalled. I would try to restart and it would run for a second or 2 and the pcm would kill it. Did this a few times, of course each time I got the oil pressure light and service advancetrac and all the other errors when the key is on and engine is off. So, it had to be towed to a ford dealership, where it still is, but I did get a call late yesterday afternoon saying it wouldn't run for them, they got into the computer and cleared some irrelevant codes, misfires and such, reflashed and it's running fine. They couldn't find anything actually wrong. They also noticed I have an airaid jr intake and asked if I've ever done a custom tune, because they had a hard time getting into the computer and I answered no, because I haven't. They wanted to keep it overnight, and drive it again in the morning to monitor things. Truck has 92,000 km (powertrain warranty is up to 160,000 km), do you think this should be covered and also what's your take on the fact that nothing is actually wrong?? Picking it up this afternoon, we did not discuss warranty on the phone yesterday.

Jersey_Joe
09-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Hello all, last Saturday I had something strange happen, I started my truck up, let it warm up a couple minutes, pulled out of my driveway and made it about 500 yards and the truck stalled. I would try to restart and it would run for a second or 2 and the pcm would kill it. Did this a few times, of course each time I got the oil pressure light and service advancetrac and all the other errors when the key is on and engine is off. So, it had to be towed to a ford dealership, where it still is, but I did get a call late yesterday afternoon saying it wouldn't run for them, they got into the computer and cleared some irrelevant codes, misfires and such, reflashed and it's running fine. They couldn't find anything actually wrong. They also noticed I have an airaid jr intake and asked if I've ever done a custom tune, because they had a hard time getting into the computer and I answered no, because I haven't. They wanted to keep it overnight, and drive it again in the morning to monitor things. Truck has 92,000 km (powertrain warranty is up to 160,000 km), do you think this should be covered and also what's your take on the fact that nothing is actually wrong?? Picking it up this afternoon, we did not discuss warranty on the phone yesterday.
First of all. Welcome to the forum. I had a 2000 mustang. That did the same thing. Turned out there was a huge amount of water in my gas. Really fowled things up. I drained everything and did not have a prob after that. I have a new 5.0 and have not experienced any problems like ur describing. Sorry I could b more helpful. Keep is posted on what happins cause I'm very curious. Good luck

alfie
09-16-2014, 02:16 PM
I haven't ran Into this problem either. Usually symptoms like this is due to a debri blocking the MAF. But shouldn't work after a Reflash.

Time will tell. Very interesting tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5pointSlo
09-16-2014, 05:33 PM
It is possible the the ecm glitched and needed to be reflashed. I have seen his a lot of times in cascadias with new electronics. New computers can act similar to a PC, and can crash.

wild_man_jack
09-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome and input. It seems the ex did just glitch. They reflashed with the latest firmware and it ran fine, they did 3 road tests and I drove it this morning and no issues. Kind of annoying tho since there were no defective parts per se powertrain warranty wouldn't cover it so I got a 110 dollar bill, in addition to the hassle of no vehicle for 3 days and time lost. I think I'll fight ford at for the 110. I work in an electronics shop that is part of a larger company that makes mechanical equipment and we warranty our code for this kind of thing as long as there's warranty on the equipment. Maybe ford will stand behind their code as well...