PDA

View Full Version : 05 5.4 problem? ???

crisfx4
09-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I have an 05 F 150 5 .4 has 150,000 miles changed the spark plugs the coils I have no cats and it runs horrible it turns off if I let the rpms go to low it ... It back fires alot and throws smoke Here's a video F150 fx4 5.4 I need help: http://youtu.be/u_wkN_WzoNE

Ford Fan#1
09-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I have an 05 F 150 5 .4 has 150,000 miles changed the spark plugs the coils I have no cats and it runs horrible it turns off if I let the rpms go to low it ... It back fires alot and throws smoke Here's a video F150 fx4 5.4 I need help: http://youtu.be/u_wkN_WzoNEer.. That don't sound good... Timing chain slap or cam

RhinoZ24
09-04-2014, 09:01 PM
You deleted your cats, did you ever reprogram your pcm to eliminate the codes it would throw since you also got rid of the O2 sensors with the cats? Also is it throwing any codes? And this could be a throttle body issue. My dad had a similar issue on his '05 Expedition with the 5.4, it would die when he would coast or occasionally at idle. But before going there, check your fuel pressure, change your fuel filter if it hasn't been done lately, and your IAC valve could also be clogged since this happens at idle for you.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

----------

And the smoke means its burning oil, which could possibly be a cam issue. When was the last time you changed the oil?

crisfx4
09-04-2014, 09:27 PM
I didn't program it and I changed the mass air flow sensor I thought that was a problem and i changed the fuel filter and I changed the oil recently ....

RhinoZ24
09-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Ok then, try cleaning the IAC and checking the fuel pressure for your idling issues. If that checks out I'd be led towards the throttle body. However for the smoke and sounds I'm led towards a cam issue.

5pointSlo
09-05-2014, 06:27 AM
I can't play the video for some reason but from the description it sound like you have and egr valve stuck open. The IAC will cause similar idle issues but if its smoke it could be due to unmetered air and dumping fuel to compensate.

FXd_up
09-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Did this start after you changed the plugs and coils? I'd try plugging in a scanner to see if there's any pending codes

RhinoZ24
09-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I can't play the video for some reason but from the description it sound like you have and egr valve stuck open. The IAC will cause similar idle issues but if its smoke it could be due to unmetered air and dumping fuel to compensate.

The issue with getting rid of the cats and O2 sensors. They are important, even if it kills sound lol.

5pointSlo
09-05-2014, 01:00 PM
He never said no o2 sensors. Just no cats. A properly running vehicle from the start will run just fine without them. It will just throw a catalyst efficiency code.

RexReid
09-05-2014, 04:45 PM
If it was running fine before changing the plugs and coils, I am first checking the firing order and then wondering if all the plugs and coils are good. Maybe I missed something, but that's when you noticed the change???????????????????//

crisfx4
09-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Yeah a little bit after I changed the plugs it started so I changed the coils and no difference and I checked my injectors they're fine

FXd_up
09-05-2014, 05:38 PM
If it was running fine before changing the plugs and coils, I am first checking the firing order and then wondering if all the plugs and coils are good. Maybe I missed something, but that's when you noticed the change???????????????????//
That's what I'm saying...it sounds like a massive misfire

----------

Yeah a little bit after I changed the plugs it started so I changed the coils and no difference and I checked my injectors they're fine
What plugs did you use? How did you "check" the injectors?

crisfx4
09-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes definitely a misfire and I used the OEM ford ones and I just took them off and looked at them hahaha

djfllmn
09-05-2014, 07:37 PM
i hear a little bit of 5.4 powerstroke in that engine...phasers may be shot

i have also seen the 5.4 3V break valve springs

RexReid
09-06-2014, 10:12 AM

So, since it started near the same time you changed the plugs, doesn't it make sense to check there first instead of starting a part replacement bonanza? That is a 90% probability. Plugs are rarely bad out of the box. I am not telling you what to do. I am telling you what I would do. I would check all the plug connections. I might even pull the cap to each plug one at a time and see if one of them makes no difference. After about a half-hour of logical checking, I run it down to my local mechanic-friend and let him figure it out. Some people claim they don't have the money to pay a professional. I don't have the money to throw parts at it.

I have had that happen where it is a bad wire. So my mechanic scopes it, finds the problem and fixes it in about a half-hour, charges me $40, including the wire. I get to shoot the bull with the guys instead of trying to figure out what the problem is with the ignition system which used to include a coil, condenser, points, wires, cap, coil, plugs and more, which is now a bunch of electronic goble de gook, complicated by a bunch of sensors, that you better have some equipment to check.

Please excuse my ranting. It is just so odd to try and do complex repairs on the internet.

alfie
09-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Sounds like a phaser issue. U have a scan tool ?

Just double check your plugs are nice and snug.

These don't have iac as it's part of the throttle body.

You still have the upstream o2? Sorry I red though the post real fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RexReid
09-07-2014, 11:40 AM
I just can't comprehend all of the opining over something that requires testing.