PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Navigator radiator fan stuck on high

FXd_up
08-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Hey all,

I've got a friend with a 2010 Navigator with the 5.4, and the radiator fan is stuck on high constantly, even when the engine is cold or the a/c turned off. It's got factory electric fans, and only the driver's side one is going. Normally I would have some idea what to look for but right now I'm stumped...maybe someone can point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Ford Fan#1
08-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Hey all, I've got a friend with a 2010 Navigator with the 5.4, and the radiator fan is stuck on high constantly, even when the engine is cold or the a/c turned off. It's got factory electric fans, and only the driver's side one is going. Normally I would have some idea what to look for but right now I'm stumped...maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Thanksmaybe bad blower motor? Idk but that's my guess

5pointSlo
08-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Not 100% familiar with this setup but here's where I would start. Check the fan relay to make sure it isn't stuck. The contacts could have stuck together sending constant power. If it isn't stuck, check the inlet side o the relay for power... If power is there, something is sending the request for for cooling fan to turn on. (A/c request, coolant temp sensor, ect). If there isn't power to the inlet side of the relay, but the fan is on... You have a short to power somewhere downstream of the relay.. This is all of course assuming the system in power activated. If its ground activated, this would be reversed.

FXd_up
08-23-2014, 08:57 AM
maybe bad blower motor? Idk but that's my guess
I don't think it's the motor because the thing is running at 100%, unless there's something inside the motor causing it.

----------

Not 100% familiar with this setup but here's where I would start. Check the fan relay to make sure it isn't stuck. The contacts could have stuck together sending constant power. If it isn't stuck, check the inlet side o the relay for power... If power is there, something is sending the request for for cooling fan to turn on. (A/c request, coolant temp sensor, ect). If there isn't power to the inlet side of the relay, but the fan is on... You have a short to power somewhere downstream of the relay.. This is all of course assuming the system in power activated. If its ground activated, this would be reversed.
Thanks for the advice I'll definitely start with the relay. I was thinking if it's not that it could be something to do with the a/c system. The fan started doing this after a hot vegas trip apparently.

5pointSlo
08-23-2014, 09:20 AM
The ac high pressure switch could have stuck