PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Not Filling Fully?

RhinoZ24
08-18-2014, 12:17 PM
So I got gas today and based on my gas gauge I'm usually pretty good at telling how much gas it should take. The needle was just under a 1/4 tank so it should have been 18-19 gallons to a full tank. The pump stopped at 17.9, not so odd until I computed my mpg and it had jumped up well over 1 mpg over my average (and consistent I should add) when my driving habits for this tank should have made my mpg lower instead. I will wait until I fill up again to confirm it, but I think my tank is not filling up fully. Now I remember reading a thread on here and I believe it was Chelsy who had a similar issue and someone said there is some vent holes or something that get clogged up. If so, where are they or what do I have to do to fix this issue. Oh and my truck is a 2005 F-150 Supercab 4.6L 2V V8 with the 27 gallon tank if that helps. Thanks!

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

5pointSlo
08-18-2014, 06:53 PM
The vent may be slightly clogged... But this usually results in a difficult fill up. The frustrating click click click at the pump. Easy enough to try though. The vent is the small tube that runs along side your filler neck. You can try blowing a little shop air backward into it but be careful. Don't do it on a full tank and keep your eyes away in case it blows gas back in your face.

RhinoZ24
08-18-2014, 11:55 PM
The vent may be slightly clogged... But this usually results in a difficult fill up. The frustrating click click click at the pump. Easy enough to try though. The vent is the small tube that runs along side your filler neck. You can try blowing a little shop air backward into it but be careful. Don't do it on a full tank and keep your eyes away in case it blows gas back in your face.

Alright thanks, I'll try it. Come to think of it thought the nozzle was a little tight trying to fill up today so maybe it was blocking air from escaping and shut it off early.

masonic
08-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Maybe you were day dreaming. Filled er up with premium too.

Raptor05121
08-19-2014, 12:21 AM
Theres no point in putting in premium unless you've adjusted the timing accordingly.

RhinoZ24
08-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Maybe you were day dreaming. Filled er up with premium too.

Eff that, I'm not driving a Shelby. I never put premium in. I switched to Costco gas and with it I had to stop using 89 since they don't have it. I use 87 all the time an my truck runs great with it. They have better quality gas than Mobil and Chevron IMO. No more rough idling here.

dchawk81
09-04-2014, 12:43 PM
I was using premium since acquiring the Navigator because I could have sworn the manual said it wasn't required but would give me a smoother idle and a hair more power (kind of like some of the new vehicles have separate HP ratings for regular and premium).

I read the manual again the other week and it actually says premium is NOT recommended. Where the hell I got the idea that it can actually use premium, I have no idea. But man I missed a lot of opportunities to get overpriced Mt Dew and Twinkies.

RhinoZ24
09-04-2014, 03:51 PM
I was using premium since acquiring the Navigator because I could have sworn the manual said it wasn't required but would give me a smoother idle and a hair more power (kind of like some of the new vehicles have separate HP ratings for regular and premium).

I read the manual again the other week and it actually says premium is NOT recommended. Where the hell I got the idea that it can actually use premium, I have no idea. But man I missed a lot of opportunities to get overpriced Mt Dew and Twinkies.

Lol, well at least you can save some money now lol.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd

Ford Fan#1
09-04-2014, 05:15 PM
I was using premium since acquiring the Navigator because I could have sworn the manual said it wasn't required but would give me a smoother idle and a hair more power (kind of like some of the new vehicles have separate HP ratings for regular and premium). I read the manual again the other week and it actually says premium is NOT recommended. Where the hell I got the idea that it can actually use premium, I have no idea. But man I missed a lot of opportunities to get overpriced Mt Dew and Twinkies.hahaha now you can

pockets
09-04-2014, 05:31 PM
So I got gas today and based on my gas gauge I'm usually pretty good at telling how much gas it should take. The needle was just under a 1/4 tank so it should have been 18-19 gallons to a full tank. The pump stopped at 17.9, not so odd until I computed my mpg and it had jumped up well over 1 mpg over my average (and consistent I should add) when my driving habits for this tank should have made my mpg lower instead. I will wait until I fill up again to confirm it, but I think my tank is not filling up fully. Now I remember reading a thread on here and I believe it was Chelsy who had a similar issue and someone said there is some vent holes or something that get clogged up. If so, where are they or what do I have to do to fix this issue. Oh and my truck is a 2005 F-150 Supercab 4.6L 2V V8 with the 27 gallon tank if that helps. Thanks!

It is me that has the similar issue and it is a clogged filler neck vent, and 5point is right about the annoying click click at the pump that's what it does since it doesn't vent

Raptor05121
09-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Haha. Yeah a lot of the newer vehicles have octane probes and will advance/retard the timing accordingly to get the best power. Our older trucks do not, so unless you adjust the timing manually with a programmer, the power was all in your butt.

Rhino, I agree with the consensus- you've got a clogged vent. You can top it off if you manually hold the gas lever slightly open and let it drizzle down in there.

RhinoZ24
09-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Haha. Yeah a lot of the newer vehicles have octane probes and will advance/retard the timing accordingly to get the best power. Our older trucks do not, so unless you adjust the timing manually with a programmer, the power was all in your butt.

Rhino, I agree with the consensus- you've got a clogged vent. You can top it off if you manually hold the gas lever slightly open and let it drizzle down in there.

It was the nozzle on the pump I figured out. When I tried putting it in, it was grinding on the side of the neck and was a tight fit. The next time I went without trying to unclog it, I went to a different pump and no problems, it filled fully. So it was just the nozzle on that pump.

Ford Fan#1
09-04-2014, 06:43 PM
It was the nozzle on the pump I figured out. When I tried putting it in, it was grinding on the side of the neck and was a tight fit. The next time I went without trying to unclog it, I went to a different pump and no problems, it filled fully. So it was just the nozzle on that pump. Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turdthats good

RhinoZ24
09-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Yup

pockets
09-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Lucky wish that was my problem lol

RexReid
09-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Eff that, I'm not driving a Shelby. I never put premium in. I switched to Costco gas and with it I had to stop using 89 since they don't have it. I use 87 all the time an my truck runs great with it. They have better quality gas than Mobil and Chevron IMO. No more rough idling here.

Costco make me wanna gag. Most of the time I go there, there is a big line. Where do they get their gas from?

RhinoZ24
09-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Good question and waiting for 10 or 15 min is fine with me when I'm saving over $.20-$.30 a gallon, and my truck runs better because of it too.