PDA

View Full Version : 4wd problems

FXd_up
07-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Went to the desert a week ago with the truck, and on the way back I noticed a light almost "metal on metal" noise all the way home. I had heard before that most of the time that noise means something is wrong with the IWE's not disengaging. I finally had some time form work to go check what was going on. Turns out the vacuum lines going to the driver side got severed in the upper control arm. Guess I'm gonna have to rethink the routing for the lines.

Well...it's off to the junk yards for me! Unless anybody knows where to get some fresh oem vacuum lines for cheap :)

djfllmn
07-19-2014, 01:28 PM
any autoparts store will have miles and miles of vac line

Jersey_Joe
07-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Agreed^^^!!!!

FXd_up
07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
I work at autozone, and all we have is soft rubber line. The only hard nylon line we have is in a kit for a boost gauge.

I swear if it wasn't for the fact that they pay me I'd boycott this place. Going to check out Napa tomorrow.

RhinoZ24
07-21-2014, 09:37 PM
I work at autozone, and all we have is soft rubber line. The only hard nylon line we have is in a kit for a boost gauge.

I swear if it wasn't for the fact that they pay me I'd boycott this place. Going to check out Napa tomorrow.

Sorry but I hate that store, all the times I've gone there I've ended up with the wrong part and no helpful advice when I ask the employees. I like O'Reilly's and Napa way better.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

FXd_up
07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Sorry but I hate that store, all the times I've gone there I've ended up with the wrong part and no helpful advice when I ask the employees. I like O'Reilly's and Napa way better.

(Great, now you got me started.....) I'll be the first to say that the hiring process for autozone is a joke. You don't have to know anything about cars. Most of the employees own Hondas and can barely spin a wrench. And our parts are the same as anybody else, so you may as well go to whoever has the best price. And what auto parts store DOESN'T turn rotors or drums?? That's like a restaurant that doesn't serve water with your meal! :mad:

But hey, it's hard to get a job down here, and it's a good job to have while I go to school.

That being said, I picked up the whole vacuum hose assembly from a junked truck for $40. Considering the dealer wanted $80, I think that's reasonable.

dchawk81
07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
I got the fuel line type vac hose from Rock for 60 cents a foot.

Is that the soft type you didn't want?

RexReid
07-22-2014, 02:03 PM

I see all of them as similar except Napa. It is our own fault for demanding the cheapest and hoping it is oem quality. Even Napa has lowered their standards.

Jersey_Joe
07-22-2014, 04:01 PM
(Great, now you got me started.....) I'll be the first to say that the hiring process for autozone is a joke. You don't have to know anything about cars. Most of the employees own Hondas and can barely spin a wrench. And our parts are the same as anybody else, so you may as well go to whoever has the best price. And what auto parts store DOESN'T turn rotors or drums?? That's like a restaurant that doesn't serve water with your meal! :mad: But hey, it's hard to get a job down here, and it's a good job to have while I go to school. That being said, I picked up the whole vacuum hose assembly from a junked truck for $40. Considering the dealer wanted $80, I think that's reasonable.
U got a good attitude kid. And junk yard finds r the best

FXd_up
07-22-2014, 05:57 PM
I got the fuel line type vac hose from Rock for 60 cents a foot.

Is that the soft type you didn't want?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/gaqynyje.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/avebusam.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/ydevy8u4.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/y5u7asus.jpg

It's the hard plastic nylon tubing like this. One line goes from the hub to a joint just near the center of the steering rack, and the other is just a vacuum feed line that goes from the hub to the brake distribution block. Its all molded and has barbed ends.

----------

Thx, I find I get along better with people older than me than people from my generation. Kids my age tend to not know much about anything except video games and beer pong (don't get me wrong though, beer is a great thing :))

Ford Fan#1
07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
It's the hard plastic nylon tubing like this. One line goes from the hub to a joint just near the center of the steering rack, and the other is just a vacuum feed line that goes from the hub to the brake distribution block. Its all molded and has barbed ends. ---------- Thx, I find I get along better with people older than me than people from my generation. Kids my age tend to not know much about anything except video games and beer pong (don't get me wrong though, beer is a great thing :))haha you got that right Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

dchawk81
07-22-2014, 06:36 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/gaqynyje.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/avebusam.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/ydevy8u4.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/y5u7asus.jpg

It's the hard plastic nylon tubing like this. One line goes from the hub to a joint just near the center of the steering rack, and the other is just a vacuum feed line that goes from the hub to the brake distribution block. Its all molded and has barbed ends.

----------

Thx, I find I get along better with people older than me than people from my generation. Kids my age tend to not know much about anything except video games and beer pong (don't get me wrong though, beer is a great thing :))

Oh gotcha. I haven't had to mess around with that stuff so far. *bang on wood*

RhinoZ24
07-22-2014, 09:52 PM

----------

I agree with you there lol. Our generation is full of ****heads and dumb***es.

----------

^X2

Jersey_Joe
07-23-2014, 04:01 AM
It's the hard plastic nylon tubing like this. One line goes from the hub to a joint just near the center of the steering rack, and the other is just a vacuum feed line that goes from the hub to the brake distribution block. Its all molded and has barbed ends. ---------- Thx, I find I get along better with people older than me than people from my generation. Kids my age tend to not know much about anything except video games and beer pong (don't get me wrong though, beer is a great thing :))
Who doesn't like beer pong. Lol

Hickfromhell88
08-27-2014, 10:40 PM
so i am having a similar issue, on my 05 sounds like metal on metal, but my vac lines look completely different, what year is your truck, couldnt see any breaks in the lines, but ccan you use the same trick to find leaks? starting fluid and carb cleaner to cheak for leaks?

Jersey_Joe
08-28-2014, 05:24 AM
so i am having a similar issue, on my 05 sounds like metal on metal, but my vac lines look completely different, what year is your truck, couldnt see any breaks in the lines, but ccan you use the same trick to find leaks? starting fluid and carb cleaner to cheak for leaks?
Sounds like your hubs

----------

115$ from ford. It took me about 30 mins to do each side. I had it on a lift. If your on the ground with a jack. It really shouldn't take much longer. Bolt may b stubborn. I used a little pb blaster and I didn't have a prob. But yes. Sounds like your hubs

FXd_up
08-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Check to see if you're getting vacuum at the hubs first. Just pull off one of the lines from the back of the hub while the engine is running, and check for vacuum with your finger or by listening. The vacuum solenoid likes to go bad, which would lock the hubs in 4wd.

Jersey_Joe
08-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Could b that too. Top left under ur hood if I'm not mistakin. But if it's grinding like that? The hub is probably to far gone now to save it

FXd_up
08-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Could b that too. Top left under ur hood if I'm not mistakin. But if it's grinding like that? The hub is probably to far gone now to save it
I'd check the solenoid before buying new hubs. It's free to check. My hubs made that noise when I had the bad vac lines but after I fixed them the hubs work fine, so they might not be bad....hopefully.

Jersey_Joe
08-28-2014, 04:58 PM
I'd check the solenoid before buying new hubs. It's free to check. My hubs made that noise when I had the bad vac lines but after I fixed them the hubs work fine, so they might not be bad....hopefully.
Sweet. U made out like a bandit lol. Mine burnt up lol