PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter or fuel pump?

Cody Deisel
06-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Sometimes when I'm just steady on the throttle cruising maintaining speed my truck feels like it cuts out a little. Also when I'm idling it sounds like there's a damn honda beside me but it's me. Any ideas as to what it is??

Ford Fan#1
06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Sometimes when I'm just steady on the throttle cruising maintaining speed my truck feels like it cuts out a little. Also when I'm idling it sounds like there's a damn honda beside me but it's me. Any ideas as to what it is??have you looked at the fuel pump module above the spare tire? I would check that if you've never looked at it

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

RhinoZ24
06-30-2014, 02:55 PM
How many miles do you have on it now Cody? And when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? It's supposed to be every 30,000 miles. Could be the throttle body, MAF, and IAC all need cleaned too. Air filter? Lots of possibilities just check them all before you get to the expensive stuff like the fuel pump.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

alfie
06-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Mmmm.... U have a scan tool by any chance ? Normally I would say your feeling a Missfire but the concern of the sound makes me think u have an exhauts leak. Also if it's leaking just cause or if there is a restriction (plugged cats) just thinking out loud. But A scan tool can help us . We can monitor for a few things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------

U can start with codes . If any.

Second mode 6 data can show history if any misfire and severity

On acceleration u can monitor these pids

Load.
Spark advance
Knock pid
Actual THrottle angle
02 voltage of sensor 11 and 21
VCT cam angle (actual angle )
FRP pressure
FP duty cycle
Baro pressure (either psi or HZ)

These should be the basic pids you need for a lack of power concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody Deisel
06-30-2014, 11:05 PM
Thank you everybody! She's gonna go see the doctor Saturday. Alfie I'm getting my buddy to come over tomorrow to look at the codes!

RexReid
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Thank you everybody! She's gonna go see the doctor Saturday. Alfie I'm getting my buddy to come over tomorrow to look at the codes!

Cody, that is brilliant. There really are so many things that it could be. The office visit at the doctor can actually be cheaper than throwing parts at it. However,,,I can definitely see changing the filter and cleaning things up...that needs doing anyhow. Good luck.

dchawk81
07-16-2014, 09:24 AM
I'd do the fuel and air filters first. They're so cheap and need done anyway. Then I'd log 'em like I log everything else. That's two boxes ticked. Two potentials ruled out.

Could also be a bad fuel pressure regulator. Check that one out too. Not likely but possible.

My guess is fuel filter though. They tend to show problems at steady state driving more so than just dinking around.