PDA

View Full Version : Need a Wheel Retainer Key (3B549)

JimmyMunce
06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Cannot locate a Wheel Retainer Key (3B549) needed for 1996 F150 4 wheel drive Eddie Bauer with auto hubs. Drivers side if that matters.

Botched repair of front brakes by well known national service center caused passenger side hub assembly to come off on freeway. Brought the truck back and insisted further repairs by carried out by ford dealer. Ford checked the drivers side hub assembly and it was correctly installed. However nothing internal was checked on that side as initial inspection of hub was correct.

2 years later I'm pulling apart front end to replace upper and lower ball joints and I find what remains of the Wheel Retainer Key mangled inside the hub. Front drivers side axle now is grooved up and down that entire internal area. No repairs have been done on this truck since they botched the initial repair.

First question is where can I find this part? O'Reilly, autozone and several other auto part stores no longer carry it nor can they direct me to where I can locate the Wheel Retainer Key.

Second question is what do I do know? Trucks entire front end is now disassembled and cannot be reassembled correctly. I can reassemble it the way it was and it seems to hold up reasonably well for 2 years even when put into 4 wheel drive for brief periods of time during winter. Without that key, it won't be correctly repaired. Understand that this is my work truck and though I have other forms of transportation (motorcycle), I cannot work without it and I have several large jobs coming up and NEED this truck.

I'll finish what I can (upper and lower ball joints) and can get it put back together almost to the point of completion. Only thing I cannot complete would be the inner hub without that key. If I refrain from 4wheeling, would it cause further damage to do everything except that key? Im sure the grooved axle needs replacing as the passenger side was not grooved when I pulled it part yesterday to do ball joints.

I'll contact the service center that botched the repair. The initial repair (or lack of one) was certainly documented. They admitted full responsibility and paid to have another company complete and inspect the truck and even made a full refund. I'm just worried about the time this truck will be down while I await their response.

So to clarify....where can I get this part?
Can I assemble it the way it was for two years minus the mangled Wheel Key without damaging it further?

Pictures included if I uploaded them correctly. Passenger side (undamaged) key is indicated in one photo and the drivers side axle (grooved) is indicated in second photo. Third photo shows what happens to an incorrectly installed Wheel Retainer Key.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

InfoFord
07-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Wheel Retainer Key (http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/parts/3b549/index.htm)

RexReid
07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I'd check with lmc truck. They even have the tailgate brushed trim. Then someone has to have it in salvage. I would definitely put it back together with all the parts.

lee reece
07-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Yup the salvage will have one !

2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

Jersey_Joe
07-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Lee!!!!!

jesse10tg659
11-24-2015, 12:12 PM
this is an old post but they have them in stock individually - QU20201 Spindle Nut Lock Clip for Ford F250, F350 Auto Hubs (http://www.quad4x4.com/qu20201.html)

Cannot locate a Wheel Retainer Key (3B549) needed for 1996 F150 4 wheel drive Eddie Bauer with auto hubs. Drivers side if that matters.

Botched repair of front brakes by well known national service center caused passenger side hub assembly to come off on freeway. Brought the truck back and insisted further repairs by carried out by ford dealer. Ford checked the drivers side hub assembly and it was correctly installed. However nothing internal was checked on that side as initial inspection of hub was correct.

2 years later I'm pulling apart front end to replace upper and lower ball joints and I find what remains of the Wheel Retainer Key mangled inside the hub. Front drivers side axle now is grooved up and down that entire internal area. No repairs have been done on this truck since they botched the initial repair.

First question is where can I find this part? O'Reilly, autozone and several other auto part stores no longer carry it nor can they direct me to where I can locate the Wheel Retainer Key.

Second question is what do I do know? Trucks entire front end is now disassembled and cannot be reassembled correctly. I can reassemble it the way it was and it seems to hold up reasonably well for 2 years even when put into 4 wheel drive for brief periods of time during winter. Without that key, it won't be correctly repaired. Understand that this is my work truck and though I have other forms of transportation (motorcycle), I cannot work without it and I have several large jobs coming up and NEED this truck.

I'll finish what I can (upper and lower ball joints) and can get it put back together almost to the point of completion. Only thing I cannot complete would be the inner hub without that key. If I refrain from 4wheeling, would it cause further damage to do everything except that key? Im sure the grooved axle needs replacing as the passenger side was not grooved when I pulled it part yesterday to do ball joints.

I'll contact the service center that botched the repair. The initial repair (or lack of one) was certainly documented. They admitted full responsibility and paid to have another company complete and inspect the truck and even made a full refund. I'm just worried about the time this truck will be down while I await their response.

So to clarify....where can I get this part?
Can I assemble it the way it was for two years minus the mangled Wheel Key without damaging it further?

Pictures included if I uploaded them correctly. Passenger side (undamaged) key is indicated in one photo and the drivers side axle (grooved) is indicated in second photo. Third photo shows what happens to an incorrectly installed Wheel Retainer Key.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD