PDA

View Full Version : engine install

rev_ed
06-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Well i guess i should start from the begining. The truck was my great grandfathers, but he passed away a few years back. So the truck went to my cousin for a couple years till he broke it. Im guessing he ran it with out oil because when i got the truck it knocked real bad when it ran and there was oil (im guessing) in the radiator. Im no expert, but i know that is not good. So we deciced to pull the engine. A couple weeks back i finnaly had enough money to buy a used engine. The engine was supposed to be the same, but now we tried to instal the new one and keep running into problems. For example the wiring harness on the engine is different than the one on the truck (which we are using because they cut the one that was on the engine to pieces). We decided that we would handle the wiring after we got the engine and trans installed. Now we have the trans and the engine in the truck, but the exhaust wont hook back up to the manifolds, so im guessing the engine is a year newer or something.

----------

any help is greatly appreciated.

RhinoZ24
06-18-2014, 02:20 PM
There should be a tag or stamp somewhere on the engine that tells you the manufacturing info and the date should be on there too I believe. I want to say its either on or around the valve covers. If your truck year and that engine don't match you will have more stuff to change out. They tune the same generation trucks differently after a few years to get more power or economy and such so the ECU might not work if they aren't the same year. I hope this helps a little. What year truck and engine did you have originally?

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

----------

Nevermind you have a '99 4.6L just looked. And welcome to the forum btw!

rev_ed
06-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Yea I meant to check the numbers before i left the shop today, but I forgot. I'll check next time I'm over there. And thanks

Ford Fan#1
06-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Yea I meant to check the numbers before i left the shop today, but I forgot. I'll check next time I'm over there. And thanksthat sucks about the original motor anyways welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

rev_ed
06-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks.

RhinoZ24
06-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Yea I meant to check the numbers before i left the shop today, but I forgot. I'll check next time I'm over there. And thanks

You're welcome and let us know what you find.

Jersey_Joe
06-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the forum. What did u take out and what u puttin in?

rev_ed
06-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum. What did u take out and what u puttin in?

What do you mean, the engine?

----------

You're welcome and let us know what you find.

Will do

Jersey_Joe
06-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Yes. What kind if engine did u take out of the truck. And what kind of engine r u putting back in it

rev_ed
06-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Yes. What kind if engine did u take out of the truck. And what kind of engine r u putting back in it

Well it had a 4.6l v8 in it, and the engine I bought was supposed to be the same, but it is not. I'm going to check the numbers tomorrow if I get a chance to see exactly what the new one is.

Jersey_Joe
06-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Well it had a 4.6l v8 in it, and the engine I bought was supposed to be the same, but it is not. I'm going to check the numbers tomorrow if I get a chance to see exactly what the new one is.
So u have a core for a truck and prob got a mustang 4.6? How makin out with it?

RhinoZ24
06-19-2014, 05:35 PM
So u have a core for a truck and prob got a mustang 4.6? How makin out with it?

^If that is the case you definitely has some other work to do. The Mustang 4.6 was a 3V engine versus that year the 4.6 was 2V in the F-150. You'll need the Mustang ECU in that case.

rev_ed
06-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Well we got everything hooked up and back together. But now it wont start, its not getting gas. I'm guessing fuel filter or lines are stopped up. Or the pump may be bad, but i hope not cause its a pain to change. And I guess the fuse could be blown, but I dont know which one is for the fuel pump.

RhinoZ24
06-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Well we got everything hooked up and back together. But now it wont start, its not getting gas. I'm guessing fuel filter or lines are stopped up. Or the pump may be bad, but i hope not cause its a pain to change. And I guess the fuse could be blown, but I dont know which one is for the fuel pump.

You can google the fuse box setup for your year. As for the fuel filter I'd change it just to be safe and throw some fuel system cleaner in the tank to clean out any build-ups. I recommend Lucas or ZMax.