PDA

View Full Version : Head lights

roots
06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi I have a 2009 ford f150 fx4. I can't seem to keep lights. They keep burning out after a couple months. I tried Piaa , hid kits , after market bulbs. None seem to last. Starting to get annoyed. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
06-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi I have a 2009 ford f150 fx4. I can't seem to keep lights. They keep burning out after a couple months. I tried Piaa , hid kits , after market bulbs. None seem to last. Starting to get annoyed. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksilvania or whatever is at walmart lmao that is what other guys like on the other forum I have some they aren't bad but I haven't had time to aim them properly yet

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

RhinoZ24
06-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Hi I have a 2009 ford f150 fx4. I can't seem to keep lights. They keep burning out after a couple months. I tried Piaa , hid kits , after market bulbs. None seem to last. Starting to get annoyed. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

The brighter bulbs ten to not last that long. You trade brightness for the life of the bulb. I'd recommend asking The Professor, he can tell you all you want to know about lighting.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

RexReid
06-15-2014, 09:06 AM
I have a 1995 with 300k miles on it. Never changed the headlights. I guess old and lousy is sometimes better that new and improved. Are your lights oem regular and you went high intensity or did yours come HID from Ford?

roots
06-15-2014, 10:46 AM
No they where regular ones. The oem regular never had an issue. Just wanted aftermarket ones.

Raptor05121
06-15-2014, 11:08 AM
OEM bulbs are Sylvania LongLife bulbs. They meet the bare minimum requirement for luminous output, but get a GREAT lifespan (hence RexReid's report).

The H13 Sylvania Silverstars (MSRP $49.99) have a warranty for a year. They tend to last that long. I also recommend replacing once a year as well. Halogen bulbs work on whats called a halogen cycle in which the halogen gas recirculates the deposits from the tungsten filament to keep the glass clean. After ~250 hours (usually a year or so), the process becomes inefficient, resulting in loss of output. After a year, you lose 10%, and it grows exponentially thereafter. Two years, 40%, 4 years, more than half.

Rex, simply changing bulbs will net you some enormous gains.

OP, I would suggest getting Philips XtremePowers. They have a good tradeoff in lifespan for power. Again, these should last for maybe 1.5 years, in which case you should replace anyways. They are a bit cheaper than the Sylvanias albeit with ~100 less lumens.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jXhJRIj4L.jpg

roots
06-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Perfect thanks for all replies.

RexReid
06-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Rex, simply changing bulbs will net you some enormous gains.

Thanks Raptor, but are you saying gains in visibility? I have never felt like I needed more, but I wouldn't trade visibility gains for changing bulbs every year. I am open to what you are saying and I do change my mind. Thanks again and let me know if I am missing something?

Raptor05121
06-15-2014, 04:17 PM
You dont HAVE to change every year. However, anything past 3 years, you'll be lucky if you're getting maybe half of the intended output. Simply buying some new run-of-the-mill bulbs would probably do you good. The XtraVisions are what I believe come stock, I'm not 100% sure, I havent touched a halogen bulb in 4 years

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cOo2Dwv2L.jpg