PDA

View Full Version : 94 300i6 loosing spark

th3cavalry
06-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi all! I have a wonderful but temperamental truck. I fix one thing and something comes up...

When the truck warms up it looses spark. Truck just dies. Then won't start again until it sits for a few hours. I can see with an inline spark tester that it doesn't get anything from the coil. I've hooked up a new coil and still no spark. I didn't bolt it down though. Has a new remaned dist and the ICM was tested and is fine. I replaced a blown cap in the PCM.

I'm not sure what to do next. I do have a multimeter to test with. When it dies and doesn't have spark, I can turn the key to run and you hear the fuel pump cut on for about two seconds then shut off...

Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RhinoZ24
06-09-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm going to ask the dumb question only because you didn't state it. Are the spark plugs themselves new too? How does all the wiring look? Any chewed up or burnt up wires?

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

Jersey_Joe
06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi all! I have a wonderful but temperamental truck. I fix one thing and something comes up... When the truck warms up it looses spark. Truck just dies. Then won't start again until it sits for a few hours. I can see with an inline spark tester that it doesn't get anything from the coil. I've hooked up a new coil and still no spark. I didn't bolt it down though. Has a new remaned dist and the ICM was tested and is fine. I replaced a blown cap in the PCM. I'm not sure what to do next. I do have a multimeter to test with. When it dies and doesn't have spark, I can turn the key to run and you hear the fuel pump cut on for about two seconds then shut off... Anybody have any ideas? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I had a problem years back. Kinda sounds the same. It was my ignition. Basically it went bad. Would start fine. Go in gear fine. And then turn off. By itself. With the key still in the on position. Not saying that is it. But. It happened to me. Either that or. Maybe your distributer is out of wack

----------

Welcome to the forum btw

th3cavalry
06-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Everything is only about two months old. I don't think its the ignition because the truck is still in a run state. Pump will run if key is cycled.

Grabber70Mach
06-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Sounds like it may be an issue caused by heat. I would suggest getting a couple cans of air, when you invert them and spray, it will freeze things, thus cooling them off. When your truck dies, spray one ignition component at a time then try to start it. That should help you narrow it down to the cause of your issue.

From infinity and beyond

th3cavalry
06-13-2014, 01:15 PM
1994 F150 300 i6 no spark no injector pulse: http://youtu.be/de_UJt51thA

I hooked up a NOID light last night and when the truck goes into a no spark condition and also get a no injector pulse condition also. The distributor is about 2 months old and its a remaned but not a Cardone one.

5pointSlo
06-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Have you replaced the pip?

th3cavalry
06-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Its a new dist. I'm thinking its bad.

5pointSlo
06-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Right.. Its reman. But if the pip tests good they don't always get replaced. There's a good chance the rest of the dizzy is fine and the pip is failed because it only does it when it warms up.

th3cavalry
06-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Can I get just the pip or do I replace the whole dist?

5pointSlo
06-13-2014, 07:37 PM
You would need to replace the stator on the distributor. Pip is mounted to it

th3cavalry
06-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Hhmmm... I'm just going to get a replacement dist... I don't have the time and patience deal with rebuilding. Thanks. I just wanted to be sure that's what it was

5pointSlo
06-13-2014, 07:47 PM
No problem. That's what it sounds like to me.

th3cavalry
06-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Yup. Bad PIP sensor. New distributor and the truck has been running fine all day.

RexReid
06-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Yup. Bad PIP sensor. New distributor and the truck has been running fine all day.

I read this thread from the beginning and had a similar experience. I was going to quote 5.soslow...lol, and suggest you listen to him. He and his truck are a little slow, but once in awhile he makes sense.

savage19nra
08-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I have a 92 F-150 4.9 L inline six with auto trans, a/c and it's a daily driver. For background, within the past 3 years the following have been replaced, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor, valve cover gasket, water pump, alternator, trans front seal and pump, battery, Fuel cap, I have checked the fuel pressure, and checked all the vacuum lines. I have a reader and it hasn't stored any codes. Late last year the following symptom started and has gotten worse.After it has fully warmed to operating temp (after 10 miles or so), I can stop for less than 5 minutes and it restarts fine, but after 5 min. restarting becomes problematic. It turns over and fires but won't run, I live in Georgia and it reminds me of a vapor lock in a carburated engine on a hot day. Wait 30 min and it starts ok but won't idle, allow it to cool for 1 hour and everything,s ok. Would this be caused by the dist also?