PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod stretching ?

fordrules
06-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Wife brought our 2013 f150 in for first ohange and noise i heard . At first i thought it was the slip yolk like on my 2012 but dealer told the wife it is the tie rods stretching because the truck is new and they are breaking in?Has anyone heard of this and how long is the breakin period and how long should i wait to bring it back

5pointSlo
06-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Sounds like a load of crap for they don't know. What kind of noise? When does it happen

Jersey_Joe
06-05-2014, 04:50 PM
What? Really? Wow. I'd go to a new dealer lol. They gave me a bunch of malarkey over my transmission. Took it to a dif dealer and got the problem solved. So what kind of noise is it?

5pointSlo
06-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Such a shame about ford dealers. Seems there are a lot of untrained technicians working on advanced equipment.

Jersey_Joe
06-05-2014, 05:27 PM
I agree slo. I was a victim id rather just work on it myself

RexReid
06-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Wife brought our 2013 f150 in for first ohange and noise i heard . At first i thought it was the slip yolk like on my 2012 but dealer told the wife it is the tie rods stretching because the truck is new and they are breaking in?Has anyone heard of this and how long is the breakin period and how long should i wait to bring it back

No. That is true. Tie rods stretch out until 5,000 miles. That is because the toe-in creates a pushing force that staightens out, which is caused by the friction of the tires...well, since the force is pushing, how does that stretch??? Stretching tie rods...that is rich. Sometimes I think I should walk around with a tape recorder.

5pointSlo
06-05-2014, 08:09 PM
No. That is true. Tie rods stretch out until 5,000 miles. That is because the toe-in creates a pushing force that staightens out, which is caused by the friction of the tires...well, since the force is pushing, how does that stretch??? Stretching tie rods...that is rich. Sometimes I think I should walk around with a tape recorder.

Hahaha... At first u sounded serious

Jersey_Joe
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Well I'm glad u answered first cause I really couldn't tell lol. But well thought out lol

RhinoZ24
06-05-2014, 10:15 PM

Lmao

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

fordrules
06-06-2014, 04:48 PM
It happens iwhen backing out of driveway and some bumps at slow speeds but not always.i have not checked but not a fan of balljoints and tie rod ends i cant grease.

----------

All most believed you Rex.....lol

RexReid
06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Hahaha... At first u sounded serious

You get a little swifter and you can keep up with the turbo-boys.

RexReid
06-07-2014, 12:31 PM
It happens iwhen backing out of driveway and some bumps at slow speeds but not always.i have not checked but not a fan of balljoints and tie rod ends i cant grease.

----------

All most believed you Rex.....lol

You can verify my genius under the tire-pressure thread where no one else can figure out how to find a leak. I suggested soapy water.

Ford Fan#1
06-07-2014, 01:09 PM
You can verify my genius under the tire-pressure thread where no one else can figure out how to find a leak. I suggested soapy water.that works I think that's the only thing you can do unless your tire is shredded then soapy water won't work :)

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

RexReid
06-07-2014, 02:21 PM
that works I think that's the only thing you can do unless your tire is shredded then soapy water won't work :)

Yes, the soapy water trick does not work on shredded tires because the surface area of air release becomes to large to actually create bubbles. I remember seeing that on Mythbusters. I think they are doing a new episode on tie-rod stretching:

"Welcome to Mythbusters. There is a popular belief that tie rods actually stretch and we are going to test that theory. Remember, don't try this at home."

:cool:

fordrules
06-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Will soapy water stop my tie rods from stretching?

Ford Fan#1
06-07-2014, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE="fordrules;65341"]Will soapy water stop my tie rods from stretching?[/QUOTE sorry about that it got onto a tire with a leak subject

RexReid
06-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Will soapy water stop my tie rods from stretching?

Yes and they never need any maintenance. The will keep the toe in, caster and camber all permanently aligned too.

*Information in this post is to the best of my knowledge. Check with your mechanic.

dchawk81
07-25-2014, 11:03 AM
That only works with OBD III compliant vehicles.

fordrules
08-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Finally found this noise.when wheel turned and reversing there is play in the joint where steering shaft attach to the steering box.now to get dealer a specific point of reference and fix it. Im assuming its a defective bushing pr bad design . As anyone else have this issue? And was it tesolved?

Jersey_Joe
08-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Finally found this noise.when wheel turned and reversing there is play in the joint where steering shaft attach to the steering box.now to get dealer a specific point of reference and fix it. Im assuming its a defective bushing pr bad design . As anyone else have this issue? And was it tesolved?
I havent

RexReid
08-26-2014, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE="fordrules;65341"]Will soapy water stop my tie rods from stretching?[/QUOTE sorry about that it got onto a tire with a leak subject

Yes. However, when the soapy water dries it can also cause tie rod shrinkage.