PDA

View Full Version : Guages

olehammy
05-02-2014, 11:20 AM
This is what I saw today in my truck what do I need I think I need a new thermostat but is that easy to put in yourself or would I need someone else to do it as i drive it slowly goes up but just barely

Raptor05121
05-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Have you ever changed it out before?

olehammy
05-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Have you ever changed it out before? no I haven't but we checked my thermostat and the temp is running low it's stays around 170 right now and should be around 210

----------

Have you ever changed it out before? but is their really any issue with my engine running cool ... I assumed as long as it wasn't getting to hot it was ok

joshpickworth
05-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Sounds like it's stuck open, do you have heat?

Raptor05121
05-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Yes there is. When you start an engine, the fuel and ignition system is in whats called "open loop". Basically, it dumps fuel into the engine to quickly get it to operating temperature. They are more efficient when at a specfic range. For our trucks, 195*F is the sweet spot. When you reach that temp, the system goes into "closed loop" which is an economy mode. If you never reach operating temperature, you are wasting fuel.

joshpickworth
05-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Yes there is. When you start an engine, the fuel and ignition system is in whats called "open loop". Basically, it dumps fuel into the engine to quickly get it to operating temperature. They are more efficient when at a specfic range. For our trucks, 195*F is the sweet spot. When you reach that temp, the system goes into "closed loop" which is an economy mode. If you never reach operating temperature, you are wasting fuel. I think you could write a book on all you know bout f150s and sell the hell out of them!!!

Jersey_Joe
05-03-2014, 08:57 AM
That's why I call him the professor lol

RhinoZ24
05-04-2014, 01:30 AM
I think you could write a book on all you know bout f150s and sell the hell out of them!!!

That'd be a multi-volume series of books with all his knowledge lmao.

5pointSlo
05-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Yes there is. When you start an engine, the fuel and ignition system is in whats called "open loop". Basically, it dumps fuel into the engine to quickly get it to operating temperature. They are more efficient when at a specfic range. For our trucks, 195*F is the sweet spot. When you reach that temp, the system goes into "closed loop" which is an economy mode. If you never reach operating temperature, you are wasting fuel.

Technically you are only half right.... Open loop is to heat up the catalyst, not the engine. It will still go into closed loop (reading and using o2 sensors) even without a thermostat.... The reason your fuel economy decreases with a stuck open thermostat is because the engine cannot efficiently burn the fuel injected into the cylinder at low temperatures.

RexReid
05-04-2014, 05:38 PM
In any case, take out the two bolts of the thermostat housing, pull it off and put in a new thermostat and gasket. I use gasket sealer to hold the stat in place, while replacing the housing. If the stat gets in between the block and housing, it can be broken while tightening. Replacing the stat is relatively easy. If you are not comfortable, someone should do it for under $100.

olehammy
05-08-2014, 11:51 AM

As I drive it slowly goes back up to normal I think for now I will be ok it doesn't stay down when I drive ... As I drive it goes back to the letters on my guage that say normal

Jersey_Joe
05-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Technically you are only half right.... Open loop is to heat up the catalyst, not the engine. It will still go into closed loop (reading and using o2 sensors) even without a thermostat.... The reason your fuel economy decreases with a stuck open thermostat is because the engine cannot efficiently burn the fuel injected into the cylinder at low temperatures.
Well said