PDA

View Full Version : Overhead compass

Ford Fan#1
04-22-2014, 07:31 AM
What kind of solder would be best for soldering the overhead compass chips? I used the only type I had on the 510 chips that were loose it worked for about a week then it came loose again it took forever ( mainly beacause I have never used a soldering iron before and it was from like the 70's )

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Grabber70Mach
04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Well sounds like more issues than wrong solder. First you need rosin core solder. Second sounds like whatever technique you used or the process you did caused cold solder joints. You need to heat the components being soldered up and touch the solder on the wire or part being soldered. But depending on the component it can only handle so much heat.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
04-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Well sounds like more issues than wrong solder. First you need rosin core solder. Second sounds like whatever technique you used or the process you did caused cold solder joints. You need to heat the components being soldered up and touch the solder on the wire or part being soldered. But depending on the component it can only handle so much heat. Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalkso what does all of that mean? Like the cold solder?

Grabber70Mach
04-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Cold solder means you didn't heat the two parts to be joined properly, thus creating a cold solder joint that will not possess the correct conductivity properties, it will also easily break loose with vibration. Essentially the soldering iron is touched the pieces being solder together and then the solder is melted onto it by touching the hot iron, sure way to create a cold solder joint.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
05-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Cold solder means you didn't heat the two parts to be joined properly, thus creating a cold solder joint that will not possess the correct conductivity properties, it will also easily break loose with vibration. Essentially the soldering iron is touched the pieces being solder together and then the solder is melted onto it by touching the hot iron, sure way to create a cold solder joint. Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalkis there a way to fix it?

RhinoZ24
05-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Re-solder it and make sure it's done right lol. Pretty fast and easy fix.

Ford Fan#1
05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Re-solder it and make sure it's done right lol. Pretty fast and easy fix.the solder I used last time didn't melt instantly I had to push hard on it. Not the right stuff and it was hot! So I'm not sure what type of solder I need.

Raptor05121
05-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Its a learned skill or the gun you used is cheap. Properly done, you heat the part, and apply solder to the part, the heat will pull the solder two the two joints. You remove the heat, and it cools, creating a permanent weld. Cold soldering is akin to tapping the solder on the tip and "dripping" the solder onto the two contacts. That will eventually break.

Ford Fan#1
05-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Its a learned skill or the gun you used is cheap. Properly done, you heat the part, and apply solder to the part, the heat will pull the solder two the two joints. You remove the heat, and it cools, creating a permanent weld. Cold soldering is akin to tapping the solder on the tip and "dripping" the solder onto the two contacts. That will eventually break.that's the problem ha ha that was the first time I have used one and the gun was like from the 80s or 90s