PDA

View Full Version : Buddy got glass packs

Ford Fan#1
04-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Alright my buddy got glass packs for his 1996 F150 and it don't sound any different then his stock muffler could his catalytic converters be clogged if it don't sound any different?

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

RhinoZ24
04-14-2014, 10:37 PM
No he just got what he payed for is all lol. Glass packs are on the cheap end of exhausts, if you want loud either straight pipe it (and lose some power) or get a Flowmaster exhaust.

Ford Fan#1
04-15-2014, 05:36 AM
No he just got what he payed for is all lol. Glass packs are on the cheap end of exhausts, if you want loud either straight pipe it (and lose some power) or get a Flowmaster exhaust.he's pissed because it don't sound different I'll tell him thanks

RhinoZ24
04-15-2014, 07:19 AM
No problem, he can go with other brands but Flowmaster wins for loudness lol.

joshpickworth
04-15-2014, 10:42 AM
It's because there new, you give em a while and all the insulation get sold and falls out and will make it loud, my dad had one on his ranger and after a while it got louder, tot the point he got pulled over cause it was too loud, and it was only a four banger five speed with stock exhaust pipes

Ford Fan#1
04-15-2014, 11:10 AM
It's because there new, you give em a while and all the insulation get sold and falls out and will make it loud, my dad had one on his ranger and after a while it got louder, tot the point he got pulled over cause it was too loud, and it was only a four banger five speed with stock exhaust pipesok I'll tell him

Mbrockman5
06-26-2014, 01:41 PM
MagnaFlow makes a Glass Pack that actually sounds pretty nice, and does not have that "Weedeater in a Coffee Can" sound. They make them in different lengths. Shorter= Louder. Longer= Quieter. The muffler guy said that some people use them as Resonators also.
I put one on my old 88 ranger that had a 2.9L V6. I had a "Turn Down" pipe put on right at the end of the muffler. I was thinking about putting one on my 04 XLT (5.4L), but since I couldn't hear what it sounded like, I just went with a regular MagnaFlow muffler(even though I love the deep tone, it's still a tad quiet for my taste).

----------

Oh. As far as pricing goes. The muffler guy who installed mine was selling them for less then $100. If I remember correctly, I paid around $80 for the muffler and installation all together.

Ford Fan#1
06-26-2014, 02:00 PM
MagnaFlow makes a Glass Pack that actually sounds pretty nice, and does not have that "Weedeater in a Coffee Can" sound. They make them in different lengths. Shorter= Louder. Longer= Quieter. The muffler guy said that some people use them as Resonators also. I put one on my old 88 ranger that had a 2.9L V6. I had a "Turn Down" pipe put on right at the end of the muffler. I was thinking about putting one on my 04 XLT (5.4L), but since I couldn't hear what it sounded like, I just went with a regular MagnaFlow muffler(even though I love the deep tone, it's still a tad quiet for my taste). ---------- Oh. As far as pricing goes. The muffler guy who installed mine was selling them for less then $100. If I remember correctly, I paid around $80 for the muffler and installation all together.nice

RhinoZ24
06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
MagnaFlow makes a Glass Pack that actually sounds pretty nice, and does not have that "Weedeater in a Coffee Can" sound. They make them in different lengths. Shorter= Louder. Longer= Quieter. The muffler guy said that some people use them as Resonators also.
I put one on my old 88 ranger that had a 2.9L V6. I had a "Turn Down" pipe put on right at the end of the muffler. I was thinking about putting one on my 04 XLT (5.4L), but since I couldn't hear what it sounded like, I just went with a regular MagnaFlow muffler(even though I love the deep tone, it's still a tad quiet for my taste).

----------

Oh. As far as pricing goes. The muffler guy who installed mine was selling them for less then $100. If I remember correctly, I paid around $80 for the muffler and installation all together.

I wish my dad still had his '87 Ranger with that same engine so I could restore it and make it an off-road machine lol.

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

Mbrockman5
06-27-2014, 01:43 PM
It was a good truck. I bought it from a friend of mine a few years back. He retired from the USAF and that was his work truck the entire time he was at Beale AFB. It was brand new when he started using it, drove it for God Knows How Long, then was able to buy it when he retired. I think there was either almost 300k, or 400k miss when I bought it(dang 5 digit odometers). It was pretty rough around the edges and rattled like a marble in a soda can, but it always passed smog(CA). I only had to replace the battery, alternator and heater core. Dang it.......now I miss that truck! Haha

RhinoZ24
06-27-2014, 01:46 PM
It was a good truck. I bought it from a friend of mine a few years back. He retired from the USAF and that was his work truck the entire time he was at Beale AFB. It was brand new when he started using it, drove it for God Knows How Long, then was able to buy it when he retired. I think there was either almost 300k, or 400k miss when I bought it(dang 5 digit odometers). It was pretty rough around the edges and rattled like a marble in a soda can, but it always passed smog(CA). I only had to replace the battery, alternator and heater core. Dang it.......now I miss that truck! Haha

If it can pass CA smog there's nothing wrong with it lmao. And yeah I wanted my dads but he sold it to a friend. It needed some work to be a freeway vehicle though but his son took it for a long trip and it lit on fire and burned down basically. That truck was pretty great though.

Mbrockman5
06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Ya'll got me feeling all nostalgic about that truck.......

This is what it looked like when I bought it.

This is what it looked & stayed like during duck season. :-) I only washed it one day a year.....the day before duck season. :-)

I was looking for pictures of that truck and found this. My dog was sticking her tongue out at the perfect time. Haha....

RhinoZ24
06-27-2014, 02:16 PM
That's awesome man! I'll have to see if I can find some pics of my dad's '87.

Mbrockman5
06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
I wonder if there's a "In Memory Of/ Graveyard" sticky/thread on here for everyone's dearly departed trucks that have, in turn, led them to this wonderful world of the Blue Oval. ;-)

Jersey_Joe
06-27-2014, 03:04 PM
I wonder if there's a "In Memory Of/ Graveyard" sticky/thread on here for everyone's dearly departed trucks that have, in turn, led them to this wonderful world of the Blue Oval. ;-)
No. But were r gonna now. Gimmie a bit

----------

Great idea

RhinoZ24
06-27-2014, 06:11 PM

Lmao nice idea.

dchawk81
09-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I put a glasspack on my 1984 Chevy Cavalier 2.0. It was a convertible. At first it was awesome. Until I tried to get a job. This was back when I was 16-17 in 1998-1999.

My father has the car now and still drives it. It needs a paint job but there's zero rust on it.

Ford Fan#1
09-12-2014, 01:18 PM
I put a glasspack on my 1984 Chevy Cavalier 2.0. It was a convertible. At first it was awesome. Until I tried to get a job. This was back when I was 16-17 in 1998-1999. My father has the car now and still drives it. It needs a paint job but there's zero rust on it.. Haha