PDA

View Full Version : What kind of motor oil do you run?

Ford Fan#1
04-07-2014, 05:42 PM
What oil do you use in your truck? ( brand synthetic, non synthetic, blend.)

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

RexReid
04-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Ford Fan,

I read up on this...way too much. Someone sued someone and I read that "synthetic," for lack of a better term, is subjective. Amsoil doesn't even claim to be 100% synthetic any more, just the first. Anyhow, I use Penn Platinum. From what I read I think it is better than mobile, but I would use that too. I have been running 10k between changes and not using any in between. Let me know what you decide.

Ford Fan#1
04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Ford Fan, I read up on this...way too much. Someone sued someone and I read that "synthetic," for lack of a better term, is subjective. Amsoil doesn't even claim to be 100% synthetic any more, just the first. Anyhow, I use Penn Platinum. From what I read I think it is better than mobile, but I would use that too. I have been running 10k between changes and not using any in between. Let me know what you decide.i just want to know what everyone else runs ( in running castrol high Milage ( blend I think )

Jersey_Joe
04-07-2014, 07:25 PM
I had them do full motorcraft synthetic for her first oil change. But from now on it will either b mobile 1 or amsoil fer sure

streakerok
04-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I won't run Penn in my lawnmower. I have rebuilt to many motors that ran it.I have seen what I does to a motor. The sludge build up is unbelievable. I run mobile 1 full synthetic.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RexReid
04-07-2014, 08:07 PM
I won't run Penn in my lawnmower. I have rebuilt to many motors that ran it.I have seen what I does to a motor. The sludge build up is unbelievable. I run mobile 1 full synthetic.

I looked into that. What I decided was that Penn fixed it and Mobil is over-rated. There is a ton of info on it for example:

SYNTHETIC CLAIMS. Although there used to be strict government standards regarding what motor oil qualified as a synthetic oil, those definitions no longer apply. Oil-makers increased the processing of their oil, and the federal government responded by expanding its definition of what qualifies as a synthetic. The murkiness of government standards and the lack of third-party testing has resulted in a war of words among competitors. (Even though industry insiders might debate just how refined oil must be to qualify as a synthetic, you should know that synthetic oils all deliver comparable performance.)

It’s enough to make your head—if not your wheels—spin.

“I tell people that ninety-five percent of the words on a can of engine oil are marketing hype,” says James Garthe, who is an agricultural engineer at Penn State University and has conducted motor-oil research for the school. “Don’t believe all that crap that’s on there.” For instance, he says, an oil might boast of its anti-sludge properties, but “all [motor oils] have some anti-sludge additives.”

So, what you get when you buy into a major brand’s claims is a big dose of marketing. For instance, Walmart’s house brand of synthetic oil passes the stringent “Corvette” standard that General Motors has set for motor oils. (We’ll have more on that later.) It’s refined by a major oil-maker. The only thing that Walmart’s motor oil is lacking is the colorful branding and the flashy TV commercials.

----------

i just want to know what everyone else runs ( in running castrol high Milage ( blend I think )

In you 13'?

streakerok
04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Well I run mobile 1 in my wife's 2013 sonata my 2001 f150 and my 84 mustang svo . I change the oil in all three every 5000 miles .thay all three get driven different.my wife drive's like a grandmother. I off road the hell out of my f150 4x4 and im running 19 lbs of boost in the svo and drive it like I stole it.all three the oil looks almost new when I change it.but I also use Wichita filters.

----------

I ment wix filters f-ing spell check

RhinoZ24
04-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Motorcraft or Mobil 1, depends what's on sale lol.

Cjones_1005
04-08-2014, 04:29 AM
I stick with Motorcraft in all my fords

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
04-08-2014, 05:47 AM
I use mobile 1 extended performance in my mom's 2013 explorer with a purilater synthetic filter the motocraft made the valves louder in the explorer but mobile 1 fixed that

RexReid
04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
I use mobile 1 extended performance in my mom's 2013 explorer with a purilater synthetic filter the motocraft made the valves louder in the explorer but mobile 1 fixed that

Hopefully you are not extending the oil changes to 15,000.

Ford Fan#1
04-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Hopefully you are not extending the oil changes to 15,000.nope every 5,000-10,000 miles

pockets
04-09-2014, 07:19 PM
I use vavoline I'm running full synthetic at the moment.

RexReid
04-09-2014, 08:04 PM
I use vavoline I'm running full synthetic at the moment.

Valvoline is well reviewed. I am not sure anyone knows what is in any of it.