PDA

View Full Version : will this mess my engine up

tinyrollinhigh
04-06-2014, 10:33 PM
I got a 99 f150 4.6 I run amsoil 5w20 in it I could only find 0w20 amsoil at a local shop I have 200,000 miles on it I been told not to use the 0w20 cuz of my mile and the I should go with 10w20 so which way should I go just don't want to **** up my motor It still runs like new and don't want that to change

RhinoZ24
04-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Wait for the 5W20 to come back in stock or order it online, use what your owners manual says.

RexReid
04-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Wait for the 5W20 to come back in stock or order it online, use what your owners manual says.

I agree. There are many products that work great. I use the Penn Platinum, but definitely use the correct spec.

tinyrollinhigh
04-07-2014, 09:09 PM
yeah I had a feeling about that when the guy was tryin to tell me that the 0w20 was better then the 5w20

RhinoZ24
04-08-2014, 12:00 AM
yeah I had a feeling about that when the guy was tryin to tell me that the 0w20 was better then the 5w20

He just wants to sell you something and make money, he doesn't care if it messes up your truck because that means you spend more at his store for other parts.

Raptor05121
04-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Toyota now uses 0W-20 and claims better fuel efficiency. But for our trucks, I'd stick with 5W-20. If they don't have it, drive across town. I always use Motorcraft semi-synthetic from Wal-Mart with a Motorcraft FL-400S filter for like $22 total.

RexReid
04-08-2014, 07:58 PM

You would think the salesman would no better.

RhinoZ24
04-08-2014, 08:57 PM
You would think the salesman would no better.

You mean the stealsman? They just want money, they'll sell you anything if they think you're gullible enough.

RexReid
04-09-2014, 05:14 PM
You mean the stealsman? They just want money, they'll sell you anything if they think you're gullible enough.

I think you are correct. If you really want to get into interesting reading (I think so anyhow) start reading about oil. Pennzoil used to be below avg and now many experts are rating it really high. Amsoil seems to be giving the impression that it is 100% synthetic and it seems like it is not. I am coming up on 30k and the oil is still clear. I am changing every 10k.

tinyrollinhigh
04-10-2014, 07:09 PM
yeah its been min a since the oil was done I know over 15000 and it is still clean but I keep getting told if i switch from amsoil to another brand of oil that it was bad for the motor?

RhinoZ24
04-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Switching brands won't do anything. Switching weights might, but you'd have to switch from 5w20 to like 50 weight for that lol.

Jersey_Joe
04-11-2014, 06:11 AM
I think you are correct. If you really want to get into interesting reading (I think so anyhow) start reading about oil. Pennzoil used to be below avg and now many experts are rating it really high. Amsoil seems to be giving the impression that it is 100% synthetic and it seems like it is not. I am coming up on 30k and the oil is still clear. I am changing every 10k.
Amsoil is what they say it is my friend. Only cause I've had my oil tested many times can I say that. But. The best oil out there is redline. But if your not over 500 hp I would spend the 15$ a qt on redline lol. Amsoil and mobile 1. Best out there. By far

----------

And yes. Switching weights will hurt your engine in the long run. But brands? No. Ur good lol

RexReid
04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Joe Grasso;61087]Amsoil is what they say it is my friend.

Only problem with your theory is Amsoil doesn't say. This is from their website:

AMSOIL maintains formulation details as proprietary and does not divulge specifics regarding the type of synthetic base stocks used in its synthetic lubricants. AMSOIL developed the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972 and has remained the leader in the synthetic lubricant industry by continually researching new technologies and demanding only the highest-quality raw materials. As the company moves forward with new technologies it is increasingly more important that this information remains proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives, with each having its own set of unique properties. AMSOIL does not insist on a particular type of base stock, but insists on particular performance parameters. AMSOIL chooses whichever synthetic base stock or combination of base stocks delivers the desired result and tailors its lubricants to be application-specific (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperatures, etc.). At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product’s performance is what matters.

I am betting it is petroleum based. I am also betting that many oils are as good or better in performance. There are so many variables, but the biggest difference in oils is probably what marketers have convinced us is different. Amsoil was first in synthetics and it was for jet engines--Not Piston driven.