PDA

View Full Version : Newer tires: Horrendous gas mileage

jcarlton19@gmail.com
03-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Hey,

I have a 07 and last year I put a 2" leveling kit on front and new tires. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track LT285/70r17. In the past with my stock tires and no level kit I was averaging around 15mpg. I have tracked my mileage (gas cubby app) since the day I put the new tires on and the average is 10mpg. Does this sound right to you guys? I knew my mileage was going to drop, but nit this much. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/avuty5uz.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/ybajageq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/yqape6y7.jpg

RhinoZ24
03-27-2014, 04:38 PM
It makes sense. The leveling kit allows more air to flow under your truck and adds drag. And your tires are pretty good in size. When I put on Goodyear Wrangler A/T's, 275/65/R18's, on my truck I easily lost a little over a mpg. Your tries are bigger and heavier and would cause a bigger loss, and combined with the leveling kit it could cause that mileage. However it could be time for some maintenance, how many miles do you have on your truck and what engine do you have?

Jersey_Joe
03-27-2014, 04:43 PM
It's your tires for sure. The stock tires for ur truck will give u better milage. I know. Boooo. The dura track is a bangin tire. One of my favs. Very versatile but not as good with your milage. Traction. At all costs. I do the same lol

RexReid
03-27-2014, 06:50 PM
I have a question: If you are running larger tires, you are going farther and faster. Is that the case and did you account for that?

RhinoZ24
03-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that too, thanks Rex. Yeah unless you reprogram the ECU to tell it the tire size you are currently running is bigger than stock, then your speedometer is displaying a speed lower than you're actual speed and your odometer is displaying less miles than you are actually covering. For example with my tire size which I said above my odometer is about 8 miles short for every 125 miles I drive, it works out to almost 1mpg lower than what I'm really getting. So you're probably in the mid-11mpg instead of high-9mpg.

jcarlton19@gmail.com
03-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Hmmm......didn't know I could reprogram the ecu. Is that something the dealership has to do? My truck is an 07 with 42,000 miles on it! 5.4 engine. I hope it lasts 20 more years!

RhinoZ24
03-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Yes they can do it for a price, or you can buy a programmer/tuner and do it yourself all while getting more power. And great engine and low miles. My '05 had 54,400 on it when I bought it 2 and 1/2 years ago. Keep up on your maintenance and it'll last you forever.

RexReid
03-28-2014, 07:04 PM
If I got larger circumference tires, I would not reprogram. I would just figure it out and fudge it into the mileage out of curiousity. I like the idea of logging fewer miles than actual. That's just me! There is a tire calculator online. So I would use the calculator and run the numbers because I like numbers. I realize how much I said "I" because not everyone thinks like me.

RhinoZ24
03-28-2014, 09:08 PM
If I got larger circumference tires, I would not reprogram. I would just figure it out and fudge it into the mileage out of curiousity. I like the idea of logging fewer miles than actual. That's just me! There is a tire calculator online. So I would use the calculator and run the numbers because I like numbers. I realize how much I said "I" because not everyone thinks like me.

I agree, one reason I haven't told my ECU my tires are larger than stock lmao. My odometer is displaying about 800 miles less than what the truck has haha.

RexReid
03-29-2014, 02:50 PM
I agree, one reason I haven't told my ECU my tires are larger than stock lmao. My odometer is displaying about 800 miles less than what the truck has haha.

Not complicated

RhinoZ24
03-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Exactly