PDA

View Full Version : Horrible shaking on the front end from 40 mph and up...

Kory Lee
03-20-2014, 08:11 PM
I have a 96' F150 4x4 extended cab. Has a 6 inch lift with 33'' tires.

Just got an alignment, ball joints replaced, tires rotated, and hubs replaced. Whenever I drive over 40mph the front end begins to shake almost out of control. I have tried all I know at my level of expertise. Looking for some help!!!!

Ford Fan#1
03-21-2014, 05:37 AM
I have a 96' F150 4x4 extended cab. Has a 6 inch lift with 33'' tires. Just got an alignment, ball joints replaced, tires rotated, and hubs replaced. Whenever I drive over 40mph the front end begins to shake almost out of control. I have tried all I know at my level of expertise. Looking for some help!!!! is it all the time over 40 when wormed up and cold too?

5pointSlo
03-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Sounds to me like one of the tires needs balanced or replaced. You may not have noticed it when it was on the rear of the truck but now that its on the steer axle its showing up. Try rotating them back and see if it helps.

RhinoZ24
03-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Are the weights still on the front wheels? Sometimes they fall off and will throw the balance off horribly. That could be the cause of your shaking.

Kory Lee
03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
is it all the time over 40 when wormed up and cold too?

Either warm or cold. I payed closer attention today and it mainly does it when I'm driving over 40 and hit a bump in the road on the right side. Could that have something to do with the brake lilne? A buddy of mine said to bleed the right side brake lines and see if that works.

----------

I'm going to do this tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks!

5pointSlo
03-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Not likely. Rotate the tires.

Kory Lee
03-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Not likely. Rotate the tires.

Will do... After that I thought about trying the dynabeads. Ever heard of them?

RexReid
03-21-2014, 07:57 PM
I have a 96' F150 4x4 extended cab. Has a 6 inch lift with 33'' tires.

Just got an alignment, ball joints replaced, tires rotated, and hubs replaced. Whenever I drive over 40mph the front end begins to shake almost out of control. I have tried all I know at my level of expertise. Looking for some help!!!!

Based on what you said, it seems like one of the things done likely caused it. The shop that did the rotation should be willing to check it out. I agree with the folks who thought it threw a weight.

5pointSlo
03-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Will do... After that I thought about trying the dynabeads. Ever heard of them?

I have. But for 33s its overkill. They should balance out fine if mounted right. Also keep in mind if u get water in there with the beads it can freeze and cause problems like what you are having now

bufonza
04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I've been having the same front end issue plus a few more with my 2000 4.6 2wd. I figured the bulk of it to being my front right caliper freezing up. After replacing it (the old one was definitely shot) most of my front end issues have been resolved leaving me with just the wobble around 50 mph. The tie rods are tight & the ball joints seem otherwise sound when turning @ speed. In effort to eliminate the wobble I had my front wheels rotated & balanced. (I'm running stock sized wheels & tires so I got a good used set put on the rear) I haven't put too many miles on it since the balance but the wobble only seems to surface 1- when I hit a substantial bump around 50mph or 2- when applying a liberal amount of brakes on the highway.
As soon as I find a decent used pair I'll be switching the front tires as well & I'm sure she could use an alignment in any case. I'm wondering if you've made any more progress with your situation. Or if you've noticed any relation between your wobble & braking. -Thanks

5pointSlo
04-04-2014, 06:18 AM
If its happening when braking you probably need rotors. Especially if you had a bad caliper. The heat will cause them to warp and cause I vibration in the steering wheel when braking. As for the wobble at 50mph, probably a tire.

bufonza
04-05-2014, 10:51 PM
A warped rotor makes sense, thanks.

Kory Lee
04-06-2014, 04:38 PM
I've been having the same front end issue plus a few more with my 2000 4.6 2wd. I figured the bulk of it to being my front right caliper freezing up. After replacing it (the old one was definitely shot) most of my front end issues have been resolved leaving me with just the wobble around 50 mph. The tie rods are tight & the ball joints seem otherwise sound when turning @ speed. In effort to eliminate the wobble I had my front wheels rotated & balanced. (I'm running stock sized wheels & tires so I got a good used set put on the rear) I haven't put too many miles on it since the balance but the wobble only seems to surface 1- when I hit a substantial bump around 50mph or 2- when applying a liberal amount of brakes on the highway.
As soon as I find a decent used pair I'll be switching the front tires as well & I'm sure she could use an alignment in any case. I'm wondering if you've made any more progress with your situation. Or if you've noticed any relation between your wobble & braking. -Thanks

I have gotten the alignment checked out and just replaced my bearing, (I have literally done everything that anyone has suggested). Today I had an auto mechanic tell me he was having the same issue with one of his tow trucks that was a 98'. He said they tried everything and after it all it was the steering box. He is so certain that's the problem that he said if it doesn't work he will charge me 25% of the actual labor cost, as I am providing the part. So either way it should benefit me in the long run ;). I have an appointment and week and a half from now to drop it off and get it fixed, only time I could make it as I am a busy man. I will let you know if that works...

I've literally done everything at this point. Bearings, alignment, rotation (2x), ball joints, brakes, rotors. All but the steering box and pitman arms really. If it doesn't work then I don't know.

I would like to thank everyone on here for their help though. I'm pretty sure that this is just an unusual case that happens only once in a while. Thanks!

streakerok
04-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Believe it or not. I had the same thing with my 2001 f150 4x4 did all the same things you have.it turned out all it was was the steering stablizer needed adjusting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk