PDA

View Full Version : Electrical starting issue

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Hey guys need some opinions. I really hope raptor sees this he seems to be the electrical genius
My truck is an 02 f150 with the 5.4
Ive had this problem for a yr now.
Every time I start my truck (cold) all the gauges sweep.
After I drive it and shut it off somewhere I get back in turn the key and gauges do nothing and if you start it it will stall and just crank

I forget our I figured this out but if you wiggle the key back and forth a few times the gauges sweep and then it will start.

I've been driving like this for a yr now its just getting irritating. The first few times it did this I just let it sit for 15 minutes got back in and the gauges would sweep and it would start. Also my trip meter doesn't work every time you shut the truck off it looses your miles and starts from zero
the only thing ive tried is an ignition switch with no help

Any ideas? Thanks guys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RhinoZ24
03-14-2014, 11:55 AM
It sounds like either the instrument cluster has gone bad, or there's a wiring issue somewhere around the cluster. But you said sometimes it causes your vehicle to stall/not start?

zavaral
03-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Could be something with the instrument cluster. Could also be part of PATS. If your pats sensor is messed up it wouldn't recognize your key and turn the truck off or not start.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

----------

If you have another programmed key try it see if it makes a difference.

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 12:15 PM
The only time it stalls/ doesn't start is after I drive it, shut it off, go to turn it on and the gauges don't sweep. If I giggle the key back and forth and the gauges sweep then it starts. Its never stalled in traffic or anything like.

----------

If I turn the key on and the gauges don't move and I start it it will stall after 3 seconds and then just crank until I get the gauges to do a sweep. And as far as I know the gauges shouldn't sweep at all correct?

zavaral
03-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Gauges shouldn't sweep, I believe a sweep is doing a memory reset. When your driving or starting it, does your theft light flash

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Didn't think so. I've noticed it flashing when starting it before but never while driving

----------

Is the pats external or in the cluster?

RhinoZ24
03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
The theft light is supposed to remain off while driving, it only flashes when the truck is off and stays solid during start-up.

zavaral
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
I was only asking to narrow down if PATS was obviously wrong.

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Then that must be working properly.. hmm lol

Raptor05121
03-14-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm not familiar with PATS. I'm going to refer my friend to help me out. But IIRC the gauges should not sweep. Last I heard of that, it was an electrical/voltage issue, but the starting issue sounds like PATS. Do you have a second key to test it out?

----------

OP, how old is your battery? How are your connections?

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Yeah iv only ever seen semis do a sweep everytime they start Battery is 2 years I believe. I check my connections and grease the terminals every oil change so they should be good. I do not have another key but I could get one made and programmed pretty cheap because my cousin is the parts manager at the dealer. Think it would be worth it at this point?

Raptor05121
03-14-2014, 05:59 PM
I would use a friends battery and try it out. Two of my friends are saying not PATS related.

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Ok I'll try my parents batteries tomorrow. Even if my battery that's in it has never showed a sign of being bad this could still be the problem? Just curious. I've never had it die and I've jumped other people with dead batteries

zavaral
03-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Have you check the main grounds? I don't recall how many there are but they cause some wonky stuff. It made my door ajar light come on with the driver window up switch pressed. And almost every component in the truck is a ground seeking component.
It's worth a shot to find them and replace if necessary.

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 07:08 PM
No I haven't but that's a good point. I'll start searching for a diagram

Raptor05121
03-14-2014, 11:57 PM
My friend confirms this isnt a PATS issue, its an electrical issue

jmyallen
03-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Any ideas raptor?

Raptor05121
03-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Have you tried another battery?

Raptor05121
03-18-2014, 10:06 AM
OP, from my friend:

PATS has nothing to do with the cluster loosing power/ground and doing the sweep on startup. PATS just authorizes fuel system, everything else is done through its normal venue. Check the ignition harness in the column. Theres a possibility the pins are pulling out of the connector. Here's a recent post about pins on the MFS

http://www.f150online.com/forums/1997-2003-f-150/494925-how-repair-turn-signals-97-03-f-150-a.html

jmyallen
03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Hey thanks rapotor I'll try that. The battery didn't do change anything. I'll let ya know what I find

----------

When I get apart which one should I be looking at?

Raptor05121
03-19-2014, 01:13 AM
jm, im not sure. you should join the forum and ask. I'm quite busy to keep cross-posting.