PDA

View Full Version : Vacumme leak maybe?

waylongoss101
03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
I have a 2006 f150 and a month ago I got two codes "sys too lean in bank one and two" and the truck lags out. It won't accelerate normally and it's not having the right power it seems like. So could y'all tell me if it's a vacuum leak or maybe something else!!!!! Help!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

jmyallen
03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
My buddy had this problem with his 05 don't remember the code but it was a lean code swell it was a bad fuel pump module up under the spare tire. Try cleaning the maf and throttle body first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Raptor05121
03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
I would also suspect vacuum leak. Look/listen for a hiss

alfie
03-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Do u have a way to log pids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5pointSlo
03-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I would suspect a maf problem or an o2 sensor. But as mentioned above if you can look at the input data (pids) you could tell. Look at the long term fuel trim. If you have a vacuum leak, the fuel trim will read high like around +25. Snap the throttle to wide open and if your fuel trim goes to zero then its a vacuum leak. If you can't look at data, go old school and just spray around the engine with a can of carb cleaner, if the idle changes drastically in a certain spot, you found the leak.

----------

Its also possible the egr valve is stuck open in which case carb cleaner wouldn't help

waylongoss101
03-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Well I dropped it off at my mechanic Sunday and he done a basic maintenance job and I told him what it was doing and what the codes were. and he done the maintenance and reset the computer. He called me cause I'm out if town and said it was done and it's running fine so I'll see how it goes. But I will clean the MAF and check my O2 sensors as well and idk what "pids" thing is.

RhinoZ24
03-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Pids= Parameter ID's, basically all the stuff the PCM monitors, stuff like all the fluid temps, intake temps, RPM's, speed, stuff like that. If you have a programmer in your truck like what I have with my Edge Evolution in my truck, you should be able to cycle through them all and see if the readings are where they should be.

waylongoss101
03-12-2014, 10:27 PM
I don't have that I just have a superchips programmer but I'll check the MAF, fuel filter and pump, and O2 sensors when I get back from out of town.

RhinoZ24
03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
It's all good, Alfie just wanted to know to possibly make it easier to narrow down. And keep us updated.

waylongoss101
03-14-2014, 07:26 PM
I'll be back in town Monday and that's when my mechanic should be done. So ill let y'all know.

RhinoZ24
03-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Sounds good.

waylongoss101
03-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Well he doesn't know what it is but he said that it's shifting through the gears to quick and he set it back to stock with the tuner and he recommends that I take it to ford but couldn't be a shift solenoid?

alfie
03-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Any drivability issue has to be corrected first before diagnosing trans issues.

----------

Are u able to get a scan tool or even a programmer like SCT to log pids ?

waylongoss101
03-20-2014, 05:33 PM
It drives fine it's just lagging and a problem with the tranny seems like the cause.

alfie
03-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Lack of power issue can cause the trans to act up. Will have higher shift points and higher line pressure are a result.

waylongoss101
03-21-2014, 04:15 AM
What could cause that?

waylongoss101
03-21-2014, 06:30 AM
I herd that it could be a trani filter?

5pointSlo
03-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Anything from this point out would be guessing without those pids. If you had that information it would take 5 minutes to out u in the right direction. Could still be a vaccum problem. Maybe your intake manifold is leaking. Could still be a maf issue as well

waylongoss101
03-22-2014, 05:45 AM
Yea ima goto a couple of shops that do free diagnosis's and a couple of those.

waylongoss101
03-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Ok soo went to the other shop today and dropped it off I call them back three hours later and they had checked the computer and nothing came up. So they checked the fuel filter and it was bad so they changed it. So on the test drive they done the guy said that it seemed like it was I proving and he said if it doesn't improve anymore that checking the catalytic converters would be the next thing. So ima drive it a lil more to see what's up.

5pointSlo
03-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Sounds like you need a new shop. People who don't know what they are doing look for codes and then hang parts. If you have the data then you don't need the codes to fix it. If fuel filters were the problem then the fuel trims would show it. If the CTS were the problem then the o2 response rate would show that or you would be getting a p0420 code.

----------

**if cats were the problem. I hate auto spell

RhinoZ24
03-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Ok soo went to the other shop today and dropped it off I call them back three hours later and they had checked the computer and nothing came up. So they checked the fuel filter and it was bad so they changed it. So on the test drive they done the guy said that it seemed like it was I proving and he said if it doesn't improve anymore that checking the catalytic converters would be the next thing. So ima drive it a lil more to see what's up.

They didn't check your fuel filter because they would have to cut it open to do that, they just charged you to replace it. Although it wasn't a bad idea I'm just saying they wanted their money's worth. And just out of curiosity, have you checked the air box to ensure nothing major is obstructing it? Cause when I first got my '05 4.6L it lagged and had s***ty gas mileage, like 10-11mpg stock. Found a bunch of leaves in the air box, cleaned them out and instantly my throttle response and fuel economy increased to about 12mpg city. Just a random thing you might want to check out.

waylongoss101
03-25-2014, 04:23 AM
Yea well wha they done seemed like it worked

alfie
03-25-2014, 09:56 PM
I kinda agree. U can test for a restricted fuel filter. If it is causing a lack of power. Monitoring the o2 sensors will show along with low fuel pressure. If they suspect a restricted cat. There are signs of it. Some won't show up y monitoring the rear o2 or throw p0420 code and 430. Some of the signs are low load pid when accelerating, also low vacuum at High idle. U can also check back pressure Manually. These are all test. I would go somewhere were they can put an effort in figuring it out.

Glad they fixed it. But usually I know a truck is fixed when I release it. Unless it's an intermittent issue.

waylongoss101
03-26-2014, 04:26 AM
Yea well the guy asked me if I wanted him to check the cats for an extra $50 and I wanted to wait to see if it would clear up. So I'll be back to him next week.

waylongoss101
04-04-2014, 11:45 AM
So I had the cats replaces with magna flows and it greatly proved but it's still laggy/sluggish so now I think I need to clean my throttle body and intake tube.

----------

But just a little bit sluggish/laggy

RhinoZ24
04-04-2014, 01:27 PM
The intake tube should be clean. Try cleaning the MAF too.

waylongoss101
04-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Yea I cleaned both with the specified cleaning spray and it's gotten better but not fully so I think that it needs another cleaning and a soaking