PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my 2000 Ford F150 4.6L V8

commanderjjv
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Hello, im Josh and i own a 2000 Ford F150 4.6L v8 (226,400km's) i want to fix her up this year since i have lots of memories in this truck, but i have a few problems,

First would be that my emergency break is screwed up, not working period, just wondering how much that would cost and if its worth it? (Dont need for safety since in my name)

Second has to do with the engine, it boggs out all the time, but it only seems to bog out when im doing 70km/h or plus, and or if i gas her more then half way to the floor, (DOES NOT BOGG OUT PERIOD IF I COLD START THE TRUCK AND DRIVE IT IN THE MORNING, ONLY WHEN STUFF STARTS HEATING UP) i got my truck scanned, no engine check light? But i have a feeling it might be the o2 sensors, And also when i accelerate i hear a clicking noise no matter how fast i go , (inside the engine) just wondering what causes that, also im behind on my spark plug changes and stuff, but since i live in canada cant do it till spring (too much snow)

Just wondering if i could get some advice, and estimated prices on fixes, would be awesome! Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RhinoZ24
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Hey Josh and welcome to the forum!! As for the e-brake, the cable is still tight and not broken correct? As for the bogging down of the engine at high speeds, it could be a few things. It would not be your O2 because all they do is monitor the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases and tells the PCM to adjust the A/F ratio accordingly, if the level was completely unacceptable, it would throw a code, not bog down the engine. It could however be clogged cats as I've heard of that causing issues similar to yours. Is the clicking noise like a tick? If so it was a common thing in these engines and as long as you change the oil regularly it won't get worse or be a big problem. As for other things for the issues you are experiencing, you should definitely change the spark plugs and COPs when the weather warms up, and it would probably be a good idea to change your fuel filter (could be restricting the gas flow enough to cause the engine to bog down at high speeds), clean your throttle body as it might be gummed up, and run some fuel system cleaner through your tank to clear out any gas deposits in there. And silly question but have you checked the air filter lately too?

commanderjjv
03-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Ya, air filter gets checked every couple months, and its just weird because i can take my truck down the highway when i first start the truck in the morning and it goes like a beast, 10 mins later or so, it gets really bad to where i cant accelerate at all on the highway, thats what gets me and makes me really mad? Could it be a clog somewhere?

----------

Ps, can you fix the ticking in the engine? If so do you know what i would have to replace? Thanks buddy for responding too :)

RhinoZ24
03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
It could be, but first just do the stuff I listed as a precaution and as scheduled maintenance, it's not too expensive and with the km you have on your truck it's probably a good idea if they haven't been done lately. If that doesn't clear up the issue, I would definitely have your Cats checked out for a clog. And if it's the ticking that I'm familiar with, then it's because these engines used oil instead of bearings for the camshafts (or something of that nature) I believe, and it was just a natural thing after awhile for some enignes. A few members on here have said using a heavier weight oil has helped silence it or make it less noticeable. I wouldn't advise going above 5W-30 from what I've heard however, what weight oil do you currently have in your engine? And no problem, that's what the forum is for, to help out other people.

commanderjjv
03-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Right now im only using 5W-20!!what would you consider to go over 5W-30? Without harming the engine?

RhinoZ24
03-03-2014, 03:05 PM
That's fine because that's the oil you are supposed to be running. I know a few people on here run 5W-30 and say it helps the noise, but I would NOT go any higher than that in these engines.

commanderjjv
03-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Ok perfect thanks for the help, i will keep you updated on what happens ! I will try the 5w-30 and see how it works !

RhinoZ24
03-03-2014, 03:35 PM
You're welcome and I look forward to hearing back to see if the issues you are experienced get resolved. Good luck!

alfie
03-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Do u have a way to log pids ?