PDA

View Full Version : Fixing clear coat

mightywhitey
02-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Any paint and body guys know the cheapest way to fix clear coat? Someone at a job sight thought it would be funny to take some fine grain sandpaper to my truck. Cant really tell unless the sun hits it just right but it definitely took the clear coat off in a few spots. Would waxing fit it or do I need to get some sprat on clear coat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

RhinoZ24
02-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Waxing might hide the spots a little, but it won't repair the damage. They have touch-up clear coat paint you can get and apply. Sorry to hear that someone did something like that, I don't get why people do stuff like that to others.

Ford Fan#1
02-06-2014, 08:39 AM
If someone did that to my truck lets just say I will be in a police car. Yeah least just leave it at that.

mightywhitey
02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Its not that big of a deal I guess. Its a 99 that I've had for 10 years but she is my first and only love lol. I ran down and got some clear coat spray and after one coat it looks better but it will probably take 2-3 coats and then some waxing to blend it in. Like I said its kinda old but I've taken care of this truck and kept it nice since I was 16. Just frustrating is all.

Porkchop122873
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM
If the sanding scratches are only in the clear you could buff them out with a machine buffer or old fashioned rag and elbow grease. If you are going to rattle can clear, make sure you clean the area with wax and grease remover, then lightly wet sand the area with 2000 grit, re clean the area, mask if needed, spray light coats. It is easier to spray 3/4 light coats than it is to sand a run out because you sprayed 1 real wet coat.

After you achieve the coverage your looking for there may be a haze around the repair area. You can minimize this by compound and a buffer. Just ensure you keep the buffer pad moving in the direction of new clear to old clear. Most buffers move clockwise. You need to only use one edge of the pad. Hope this helped.

Sent from my iPhone

mightywhitey
02-06-2014, 09:12 AM
If the sanding scratches are only in the clear you could buff them out with a machine buffer or old fashioned rag and elbow grease. If you are going to rattle can clear, make sure you clean the area with wax and grease remover, then lightly wet sand the area with 2000 grit, re clean the area, mask if needed, spray light coats. It is easier to spray 3/4 light coats than it is to sand a run out because you sprayed 1 real wet coat.

After you achieve the coverage your looking for there may be a haze around the repair area. You can minimize this by compound and a buffer. Just ensure you keep the buffer pad moving in the direction of new clear to old clear. Most buffers move clockwise. You need to only use one edge of the pad. Hope this helped.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks porkchop. How long after spraying do I need to wait to buff?

Porkchop122873
02-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Depends on temp. At the body shop we waited til the next day so the clear was good and hard. If you can put your finger nail in it it's too soft

Sent from my iPhone

mightywhitey
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Good deal. I appreciate the help

Porkchop122873
02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
No problem bud

Sent from my iPhone

masonic
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
What?! I'd have thrown fists and said some words.

RhinoZ24
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
If someone did that to my truck lets just say I will be in a police car. Yeah least just leave it at that.

I second that, if I found them, they would not be walking after lol.

mightywhitey
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
I second that, if I found them, they would not be walking after lol.

Lol I have a business to run and along with that comes the need for a good reputation. Cant go flying off the handle over a little clear coat. Sometimes its better to live by example.

RhinoZ24
02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Lol I have a business to run and along with that comes the need for a good reputation. Cant go flying off the handle over a little clear coat. Sometimes its better to live by example.

While I agree it is good to have a level head, when it comes to my truck I'm too OCD. Especially since mine is blue and scratches show up easily. I would find that person and sand off their arms so they could never be a prick like that again lol. But I commend you on staying calm and collected.

mightywhitey
02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
While I agree it is good to have a level head, when it comes to my truck I'm too OCD. Especially since mine is blue and scratches show up easily. I would find that person and sand off their arms so they could never be a prick like that again lol. But I commend you on staying calm and collected.
It was a 20 yo kid who was mad at me for kicking him off a job for smoking pot. Damage was done and yea I could have called the cops but he already lost his job. No need to make his life any worse. However I did talk to his dad and the kid will be paying to have my truck professionaly fixed.

RhinoZ24
02-06-2014, 07:38 PM
It was a 20 yo kid who was mad at me for kicking him off a job for smoking pot. Damage was done and yea I could have called the cops but he already lost his job. No need to make his life any worse. However I did talk to his dad and the kid will be paying to have my truck professionaly fixed.

Well at least you know who it was and he's paying for it. I'm 20, but I'm not stupid enough to do do something like that. If I lost my for that reason, it was my fault. Another reason why my generation is proving to be Generation Dropped on our Heads as Children lmao.

Ford Fan#1
02-06-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm 16 in 9th grade. You should see the stupid crap kids do. They do dip ( yes chewing tobacco ) carry knifes at school some of them look like if you would sprinkle holy water on them they would burst into flames some of them they break their phones cut the batteries in half then throw them in the sink and trash can some of them even stuck paper clips in the wall outlets then they started spitting sparks some of them do pot to and one kid even traded dip for pills they don't even know what they are one of them even asked the teacher if they would buy him whiskey. That just says how stupid kids are.

RhinoZ24
02-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Been there and done all that (actually I should say dealt with, not done because I wasn't a dips*** during high school lol), if you think the intelligence level goes up once you get into college, I'm sorry to inform you that you will be sorely disappointed. I hear people talking and see people do stuff that makes me question how they ever got into college, let alone how they passed Kindergarden.

pockets
02-07-2014, 12:14 AM
The college students here don't even know how to cross the street properly especially the byu students lol

RhinoZ24
02-07-2014, 02:07 AM
Those darn Mormons lmao jk, I have a few friends that go to the BYU in Utah, some of them are probably the ones that can't cross the street haha.

pockets
02-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Haha probably. They're bad we always joke that they're extra points if you run their dumb butts over.

RhinoZ24
02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
I joke about the same thing here, only bicyclists instead because they think they own the road and act like laws don't apply to them.