PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what works best for restoring trim

backwoodsboy32
02-01-2014, 09:10 PM
My grill and my bug shield are faded on my truck and I have no idea what would work best to restore it. Anyone know?

RhinoZ24
02-01-2014, 09:37 PM
For the grille plastic, use Mother's Protectant, that stuff works wonders on all the plastic on my truck. For the bug shield, it's a different kind of plastic, different finish, you could try the Mother's stuff on it but Idk if it'll work for that, but it definitely will for the grille.

Raptor05121
02-02-2014, 10:12 AM
could respray it

backwoodsboy32
02-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Ok ya I'll try the mothers then if it doesn't work ill re spray it

Jersey_Joe
02-02-2014, 10:40 PM
R u doing it to a black grill and deflector? If so. Use McGuires black. Best product out there for bringing black back up I've ever seen

RhinoZ24
02-02-2014, 11:40 PM
I beg to differ with the luck I've had with Mother's products lol.

Porkchop122873
02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Let me chime in with the epic Joe vs Rhino....Mothers makes a good product, but for my business I use McGuires black. Joe wins!
Around here they are both about the same price , I think the McGuires just looks better and lasts longer. Years ago we used 100% silicone in the body shop for trim and that was the isht. Now Illinois is adopting a bunch of the tree hugging Cali laws so u can't even find the stuff anymore. Try it out you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone

Jersey_Joe
02-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Let me chime in with the epic Joe vs Rhino....Mothers makes a good product, but for my business I use McGuires black. Joe wins! Around here they are both about the same price , I think the McGuires just looks better and lasts longer. Years ago we used 100% silicone in the body shop for trim and that was the isht. Now Illinois is adopting a bunch of the tree hugging Cali laws so u can't even find the stuff anymore. Try it out you won't be disappointed. Sent from my iPhone
Dude. I just laughed my a$$ off. Lol. I used mothers products growing up makin money on the side detailing cars and bikes. I don't have a bad word to say about mothers. There product Truely works! But. I just think McGuires products have a slight edge. I think the protection and the shine is just better. My opinion lol. But thanks chop fer Jumpin on board lol. Now as for the black. I do think McGuires last longer and looks better. And now with a new black truck. I Gota stay on my A game.

RhinoZ24
02-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Let me chime in with the epic Joe vs Rhino....Mothers makes a good product, but for my business I use McGuires black. Joe wins!
Around here they are both about the same price , I think the McGuires just looks better and lasts longer. Years ago we used 100% silicone in the body shop for trim and that was the isht. Now Illinois is adopting a bunch of the tree hugging Cali laws so u can't even find the stuff anymore. Try it out you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone

Lmao Eric, you can adopt more of them because we have to many here and they ruin everything. They'll be the death of this state haha.

----------

Anyways, I use McGuire's for detailing too, just never the stuff for black plastic so I can't honestly tell you if it works or not, but after hearing it from Joe and Eric here, I guess it's better than the Mother's stuff.

Jersey_Joe
02-03-2014, 12:08 PM
I just wanna walk past them with an ax. And just foam at the mouth at the trees lol. That'll get a rise out if em. Lol.

----------

Lmao Eric, you can adopt more of them because we have to many here and they ruin everything. They'll be the death of this state haha. ---------- Anyways, I use McGuire's for detailing too, just never the stuff for black plastic so I can't honestly tell you if it works or not, but after hearing it from Joe and Eric here, I guess it's better than the Mother's stuff.
I didn't know till I saw it either bud. Just does a great job in my opinion. I'm sure u have a great deal to deal with. Having all that sun. But. If that still doesn't tickle ur fancy. There is something else. Blackfire! A little to expensive fer me. I just use there waxes and polishes. 40$ a bottle. Lol. But it am not that much better than McGuires. It does however do a better job on the severe damage. Thus worth it if u really need it

Porkchop122873
02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Haha Rhino u keep em. Can't smoke within 80 miles of another human or your pets, gotta wear your seat belt, not allowed to leave your kids in the car while you go in a restaurant for dinner, they wanna take the corn out of our gas and we can't text or use F150 Forum while driving anymore...thanks Cali.

Sent from my iPhone

RhinoZ24
02-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I just wanna walk past them with an ax. And just foam at the mouth at the trees lol. That'll get a rise out if em. Lol.

----------

I didn't know till I saw it either bud. Just does a great job in my opinion. I'm sure u have a great deal to deal with. Having all that sun. But. If that still doesn't tickle ur fancy. There is something else. Blackfire! A little to expensive fer me. I just use there waxes and polishes. 40$ a bottle. Lol. But it am not that much better than McGuires. It does however do a better job on the severe damage. Thus worth it if u really need it

Lmao, that would be hilarious. And the Mother's works well, keeps the color until I wash it. Not even our minute rain takes it off or the sun lol. Takes months for that. But I trust you guys, I'm sure the McGuire's stuff is even better.

----------

Haha Rhino u keep em. Can't smoke within 80 miles of another human or your pets, gotta wear your seat belt, not allowed to leave your kids in the car while you go in a restaurant for dinner, they wanna take the corn out of our gas and we can't text or use F150 Forum while driving anymore...thanks Cali.

Sent from my iPhone

NO, I don't want them, haha. They're blocking de-saltation plants that would help our water issues. Apparently people don't come first. I understand protecting the environment is a good thing, but for f***'s sake there's plenty of fish in the sea, we're not gunna make them all die or something lol.

Jersey_Joe
02-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Haha Rhino u keep em. Can't smoke within 80 miles of another human or your pets, gotta wear your seat belt, not allowed to leave your kids in the car while you go in a restaurant for dinner, they wanna take the corn out of our gas and we can't text or use F150 Forum while driving anymore...thanks Cali. Sent from my iPhone

Lmao

----------

Lmao, that would be hilarious. And the Mother's works well, keeps the color until I wash it. Not even our minute rain takes it off or the sun lol. Takes months for that. But I trust you guys, I'm sure the McGuire's stuff is even better. ---------- NO, I don't want them, haha. They're blocking de-saltation plants that would help our water issues. Apparently people don't come first. I understand protecting the environment is a good thing, but for f***'s sake there's plenty of fish in the sea, we're not gunna make them all die or something lol.

We don't want em either lol. My god. Today. Like a wet dog. Freezing in a store Parkin lot with the truck on this lady says. Sir. U have to shut your truck off. I said ok. Thanks. And closed my freshly tinted windows. She huffed and puffed but she couldn't blow me down.

Porkchop122873
02-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Lmao

----------

We don't want em either lol. My god. Today. Like a wet dog. Freezing in a store Parkin lot with the truck on this lady says. Sir. U have to shut your truck off. I said ok. Thanks. And closed my freshly tinted windows. She huffed and puffed but she couldn't blow me down.

Haha pissing off old ladies! Too bad you don't have an exhaust yet you could've just revved and said whaaaaaaaaaat?

Sent from my iPhone

RhinoZ24
02-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Haha, I hate those people. It's like, "Are you paying for my gas? No, you aren't? Good, then stfu." lol

----------

Haha pissing off old ladies! Too bad you don't have an exhaust yet you could've just revved and said whaaaaaaaaaat?

Sent from my iPhone

Lmao, you'll have to speak up, my gas guzzling truck is too loud to hear your BS

Jersey_Joe
02-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Love it lmao

backwoodsboy32
02-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Ok thanks lol

RayMoyer
04-10-2014, 02:19 AM
mothers makes a product called back to black for trim and such... i used to use it on my Sport Trac

RhinoZ24
04-10-2014, 07:23 AM
mothers makes a product called back to black for trim and such... i used to use it on my Sport Trac

I don't like that Back to Black stuff, however their regular Protectant spray works pretty good for my truck.

Ford Fan#1
04-10-2014, 07:28 AM
I don't like that Back to Black stuff, however their regular Protectant spray works pretty good for my truck.i use it it's ok but it attracts dust and bugs bad

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

dtomlin
04-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Get some SEM 39143 for the grill insert. Also for trim and bed caps. There is a polish you can use on the bug shield. I'll look up the name when I get home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RhinoZ24
04-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah the Back to Black doesn't make my plastic black again or last that long. The Protectant spray works wonders and last until the next time I wash my truck unless it rains first.

masonic
04-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Any wax I've ever used turns my truck into a dust magnet. Is there anything good out there for the opposite effect. To be fair I've only ever used cheap stuff though.

RhinoZ24
04-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I use Turtle Hard Shell wax (paste form) and Meguires Quick Wax (liquid spray form) and have no issues. Dust and dirt collect no matter what.

dtomlin
04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Yeah the mequires quick wax isn't bad for a fast clean. I had never used any of the quick waxes until i got a bottle for free for a demo. I use it on my truck after every wash. Helps maintain that just polished look.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
04-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Yeah the mequires quick wax isn't bad for a fast clean. I had never used any of the quick waxes until i got a bottle for free for a demo. I use it on my truck after every wash. Helps maintain that just polished look. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalkit also gets rid of the water spots on paint ( even black ) I use it after every wash because of the lime and crap in the water

RhinoZ24
04-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I use it to keep some wax on my truck between the 6 months that it goes without the paste wax.

Jersey_Joe
04-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Try some blackfire products. Pricy. But lem tell ya. U get what u pay for. Best stuff I've ever used

RayMoyer
04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
i use it it's ok but it attracts dust and bugs bad

yea, i will agree, it seemed to attract lots of road dust/dirt
could just plastidip it and not have to worry about it?