PDA

View Full Version : Cam swap!!

alfie
01-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Well doing my first cam swap on a diesel. It messed up the lifter and damages the cam lobe. Warranty pays 30 hrs or so. I'm in it 7 so far. 62036204

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RhinoZ24
01-23-2014, 07:14 PM
So if it happens again the owner is basically S.O.L. lol? Or it covers 30 hours for one service? And which engine did you get the honor or doing this swap on? A 6.4 or the 6.7? I have to say, while your job is probably tedious and difficult, you at least get to do different stuff on a wide variety of vehicles of the best brand lol.

alfie
01-23-2014, 08:17 PM
It's on a 6.4. Warranty is paying me 30 hrs to install new cam and all lifters. I should be in it 20
Hrs by the time I'm done. This is my first one so that's y I'm slow. Took the can off and motor out. My coworkers who do this all the time do it 10-12 hrs. (Crack heads) CP price is about 40 hrs.

If it happens again. We will warranty the work and fix what needs to be fixed. Which I don't think it will. If it does it will be a long time from now.

RhinoZ24
01-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Good learning experience and that sounds like a pretty good deal. But all the work just to get the engine out and disassembled just doesn't seem like fun.

Jersey_Joe
01-23-2014, 09:15 PM
On a 6.4? Wow

----------

Keep up the good work homes

alfie
01-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Well I'm a drivability tech on both gas and diesel. That is my strongest subject. And am the strongest here on that. But i decided to start doing heavy line for two reasons.
1- I plan on going and opening my place this year. Want the most experience I can get.
2- it's kinda slow and 30 hrs sounded great. First time and I should Do it in less than 20 hrs.

My weakest subject is trans. I know the basic since I'm certified on all subjects. (I'm seņor master) but I mostly do drivability and electrical.

RhinoZ24
01-23-2014, 10:50 PM
That's still good and you obviously have a lot of training and experience. I'm sure when you open your own shop you'll do pretty well.