PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ticking

mrbones
01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Hey guys got a question for you all. I was unplugging my truck the other day and heard this fairly loud ticking coming from the motor its loud enough that I can stand at the end of my driveway about 30 feet from my truck and can hear this ticking. I took it to the dealer and they claim it is just normal fuel injector noise and I just aint buying a fuel injector can be this loud. Has anyone ever run into this. I think it is just the dealer cause that is their favorite thing to say when I take my truck in. It has a loud clunk in the rearend and they claim this is normal also being my first ford it is really turning me off this truck in a big way. Thanks for any help.

Raptor05121
01-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Nope, they are right. Sometimes when it is cold out, my injectors are very loud at idle. I can hear them ticking from inside the truck. Do not be alarmed.

joshpickworth
01-03-2014, 01:21 PM
I'd get another opinion from another dealer or a mechanic

mrbones
01-03-2014, 04:33 PM
So I took the truck back to the dealer and got a little pissed with them and finally got a real mechanic to look at it he said it sounded like a bearing going out and got his stethoscope and listened to the idler pulley and seems to think the bearing in it is going bad and the tensioner also. He's sure it is not fuel injectors cause of how loud the noise is at the wheel well. Thanks for the responses guys. I wish I had another warranty shop around but the next closest one is about 500 hundred miles away. So hopefully next week it will be fixed. Is loud fuel injectors just a ford thing Alex cause I dont remember them being loud on my gmc. Again thanks guys.

RhinoZ24
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
So I took the truck back to the dealer and got a little pissed with them and finally got a real mechanic to look at it he said it sounded like a bearing going out and got his stethoscope and listened to the idler pulley and seems to think the bearing in it is going bad and the tensioner also. He's sure it is not fuel injectors cause of how loud the noise is at the wheel well. Thanks for the responses guys. I wish I had another warranty shop around but the next closest one is about 500 hundred miles away. So hopefully next week it will be fixed. Is loud fuel injectors just a ford thing Alex cause I dont remember them being loud on my gmc. Again thanks guys.

See, raise enough fuss and they'll fix it. Glad to hear its still under warranty and they're fixing it.

alfie
01-03-2014, 07:33 PM
What year is the truck ? For the rear end noise there is a TSB if it's a newer one. To add grease to the drive line yoke. Ford didn't put any in them so they make noise. Adding the grease really makes a night and day difference. I don't a few and it took care of the noise.

Glad to hear they will fix that noise. Good luck. Le me know if u need any more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mrbones
01-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Hey alfie its a 2011 you hear the clunk after you put it in reverse and back up a few feet and when it slides its icy now I thought maybe it was traction control noise but when I back u I aint spinning. Yes you gotta love warranty. Ok stupid question what is a TSB? Thanks

RhinoZ24
01-04-2014, 02:42 AM
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, basically instead of a recall for a vehicle, the manufacturer, in this case Ford, basically puts out a little procedure manual on how to fix or repair a found problem on a vehicle. Available to the techs and also to owners that want to DIY.

jake831431
01-04-2014, 05:55 AM
I don't think it's your fuel injectors sound like the vct valve or your cam phasers I recently bought an 09 king ranch it had 60k on it and had a loud tick and replaced that stuff problem solved do you have an extended warranty

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

alfie
01-04-2014, 11:41 AM
The 09 and 11 have diff motors and phasers. On the 3v stuff they made lots of noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mrbones
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks ryan I thought it was some kinda of bulletin but wasn't sure. Yeah its still under the 3/36000 mile warranty jake they mentioned something about that valve but the tech is pretty sure its the pulley and tensioner so hes gonna start with that. Hopefully they get it fixed next week. Thanks again for the help. I will check into greasing the yolk also maybe that will stop the clunking.

Jersey_Joe
01-04-2014, 01:27 PM
The 09 and 11 have diff motors and phasers. On the 3v stuff they made lots of noise. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)
X2

ronk
09-29-2014, 07:24 PM
I have a 2011 with the v6 and mine is making a clicking noise. I'll be talking it to the dealership to get it checked out soon but it's not that loud. It needs checked.

Jersey_Joe
09-29-2014, 08:05 PM
I have a 2011 with the v6 and mine is making a clicking noise. I'll be talking it to the dealership to get it checked out soon but it's not that loud. It needs checked.
Welcome to the forum Ronk. How long have u heard it? Not loud?

RhinoZ24
09-30-2014, 12:47 AM

Welcome to the forum! And how many miles on your truck? And from your profile pic it appears you have the 3.5L Ecoboost?

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd, Nissan and Honda are the leftovers.

ronk
10-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Just started hearing it about 2 weeks ago and it's not that loud. Yes it's the 3.5L, thanks for the welcome.

----------

56500 miles

alfie
10-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Ticking o these motors can very .. Seen small things and as big as a short block for ticking noises.. Take to dealer soon as you can since I still have power train ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk