PDA

View Full Version : Engine stall

joshpickworth
01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
O on my way to work this morning I was coasting to a stop light and my engine stalled out, wouldn't crank over the first time, finally did the second time, get down the road to an overpass, let off the gas at the top and coasted down and stalled again, popped it in Neutral and started right back up, didn't do it any other time except when I coasted

RhinoZ24
01-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Not to alarm you but my dad had a very similar problem a few months ago on his '05 Expedition. Would stall on him when he coasted and that was the only time. Turned out it was his throttle body and it had to be replaced because when coasting it would shut completely and kill the engine. Might want to get that checked out, not saying that this is your issue too, but it sounds similar.

Raptor05121
01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Also check IAC

RhinoZ24
01-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Also the check engine light didn't come on until it had done it a couple of times. But start with Alex's recommendation first, cheaper and easier to fix.

joshpickworth
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys, just did it again, but I feel like I'm on the right track now, was gonna check into the iac and my boss said check the throttle body position censor

alfie
01-03-2014, 07:29 PM
If it's that 06 there is no IAC as it's build into the throttle body. You can't cleaning the throttle body and see if that helps. If not. It will require replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

joshpickworth
01-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Yeah it's an 06, guess I'll check into it, just cleaning the tb would help?!? If not I'll spend the cash and get a new one

alfie
01-03-2014, 09:37 PM
You can get best deals on tousley ford parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

joshpickworth
01-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Another guy from this forum, who I just drank a beer with lol, told me to check the module thing above the spare tire, I've heard other people talk bout it but I thought the truck would not run at all

RhinoZ24
01-04-2014, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys, just did it again, but I feel like I'm on the right track now, was gonna check into the iac and my boss said check the throttle body position censor

Yup, it kept happening to my dad and I think that's what it was. Sometimes the electronics just go bad.

Papa_J
06-14-2016, 08:52 PM
Not to revive an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. It started happening at random times when coasting to a stop, but last night on the way home, it chugged, sputtered,and shut down at 65mph on the expressway. I tried to restart, and it did on the second try, but immediately went into Engine Failsafe Mode. After unpuckering, and getting off the expressway at the next exit, it shut down again. All fluids in the norm, oil pressure good, high test gas, engine temp normal. I limped it to the garage, and the can smelled of gas and oil. I have already pulled the TB and cleaned it, so grime isn't the issue. Shop ran the IDC on it, and said it was missing on cyl 2, 5, & 8, and that I needed a full set of coils for $900. And, it was throwing a PO320. Needless to say, I eased it home to find out more, since the PO320 indicates a possible bad crankshaft position sensor. Any thoughts?

2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCREW 4x4 5.4L

Papa_J
06-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Well, a little deeper digging, and I found chaffing on the left bank PCM wire harness where it is routed under the AC tube. In not sure why it was routed under, when there is plenty of room to route it over.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160616/24dfa94c38d0185d3bee4770fa1727d4.jpg
I am not sure this is the whole cause, but. A violet wire, with what appeared to be a pink or orange stripe (I can't recall which one) had a 1/2" section of insulation charged off, and some arcing on the AC tube. I've wrapped the wire and entire bundle in electric tape and isolated the harness from the AC line with some rubber, and drive it 20 miles mixed hwy and city, and didn't have the issue with stalling or shudder.
Will be replacing the plugs and crankshaft position sensor on Saturday. Plugs are originals, so they need done anyways. And at $25 for the CPS, replacing it won't hurt my 11 year old baby. Will be rerouting the harness bundle and isolating it with a section of heater hose to prevent future chaffing.

2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCREW 4x4 5.4L

Jersey_Joe
06-15-2016, 07:34 PM
Good for u bud. Glad your gettin a handle on it!!

lit up by F150leds.com & 5Star tuned....