PDA

View Full Version : Straight pipe

slim
12-28-2013, 06:31 PM
I want straight pipes for my 2003 5.4. I'll keep my cats so any thoughts?

RhinoZ24
12-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Straight pipes are fine, gives you that untamed growl from the engine. Sounds great but keep in mind without the back-pressure from a muffler you will lose a little bit of torque. Not really noticeable, unless you race or tow heavy loads all the time.

slim
12-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Well I've heard the "back pressure " is controlled by the cats. Yes I race my buddy's often too

RhinoZ24
12-28-2013, 07:08 PM
The cats contribute to back pressure yes, but they don't control or regulate it. Most of the back pressure comes from the muffler.

slim
12-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Damn well I love the sound of straight pipes. I don't want any kind of muffler. Should I get dual straights or y pipe?

Jersey_Joe
12-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Your muffler regulates your back pressure. These modular engines need back pressure. Ur 5.4 will not be the same without back pressure

----------

And will slowly diminish

slim
12-28-2013, 08:48 PM
What do y'all recommend for a good loud setup then?

----------

Not saying I don't believe y'all but I've driven 2 f150s with straights with y pipe and both felt very responsive in throttle response. I'm having a hard time believing that the guts of a muffler are classified as back pressure for an engine.

RhinoZ24
12-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Well from what I understand these engines use headers versus an exhaust manifold, meaning less back pressure. It's up to the cats and mainly the muffler to provide the needed back-pressure. Too much is bad and so is too little. Taking away the muffler does have an effect on power, like I said though its probably not noticeable unless you race all the time or tow/haul heavy loads. Straight pipes do sound awesome, but it helps to have a muffler. For the loudest system with a muffler go Flowmaster. I have the American Thunder SI/DO exhaust system with the Series 40 muffler and it is pretty loud and I only have the 4.6L V8. If you ask Joe he'll say the Super 10 I'll bet, smallest and loudest muffler in the lineup (especially if you go true dual). But Flowmaster for loudness and it still has the needed back-pressure for the engine.

slim
12-28-2013, 10:58 PM
How bad would it effect racing? I thought straights would help top end. From a dead stop, I destroy my buddies 1500hd 6.0.

RhinoZ24
12-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Exactly like you just said lol, it helps top end, but it gains that top end power by taking it away from the low end power band. Low end is what gets your truck up and going, acceleration. That's where it will affect you, you'll accelerate a little bit slower, but probably minorly noticeable. And keep up the good work beating those Chevy's!!

----------

You'd probably only notice the effect on the dyno because they aren't noticeable while you're driving. However the low end power loss is there, an of you're in a serious race it could hurt you with the lessened take-off power.

slim
12-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Oh ok so I guess I'll have to get a flowmaster or 2 lol bc I definitely don't want to lose bottom end. So the super 10 is the loudest? 1 or 2 mufflers? I'm getting 5" tips too.

Jersey_Joe
12-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Oh ok so I guess I'll have to get a flowmaster or 2 lol bc I definitely don't want to lose bottom end. So the super 10 is the loudest? 1 or 2 mufflers? I'm getting 5" tips too.
First of all. U should kill that truck. U know how much heavier it is than u? R u kidding? No way that truck should pull away from u. A 5 inch tip isn't gonna do anything for u but make it look like u want a diesel u can run straight pipes if u wish. But it isn't gonna do anything for your valves in your engine but hurt them. Trust me. I had a 522 hp 5.4. Same truck u got. Don't u think I would have run them too? Not worth it in the long haul. If u want a race truck. Ditch the 4x4 truck and get a 4x2 with a smaller wheel base and mod the f out of it. Your gonna kill that truck. It's badder tha. The Chevys I can test to that. But she ain't no racer unless u drop some $$$ into it

----------

Well from what I understand these engines use headers versus an exhaust manifold, meaning less back pressure. It's up to the cats and mainly the muffler to provide the needed back-pressure. Too much is bad and so is too little. Taking away the muffler does have an effect on power, like I said though its probably not noticeable unless you race all the time or tow/haul heavy loads. Straight pipes do sound awesome, but it helps to have a muffler. For the loudest system with a muffler go Flowmaster. I have the American Thunder SI/DO exhaust system with the Series 40 muffler and it is pretty loud and I only have the 4.6L V8. If you ask Joe he'll say the Super 10 I'll bet, smallest and loudest muffler in the lineup (especially if you go true dual). But Flowmaster for loudness and it still has the needed back-pressure for the engine.
Ryno. They all pretty much come with manafolds. Not headers. And to b honest. I haven't even looked at mine yet to give u a correct answer. Manafolds can restrict your exiting airflow. Remember. Company's try there best to cork it up to give u the most power and also giving the best fuel mileage. Thus the manafolds. Headers make it breath better fer sure

----------

Also u bet correct. Super 10 if u want flow and sound. A three inch tip will suffice. 5 inch is just gonna cost u more money for absolutely nothing. Trust me. I've had this truck and this engine. And was the fastest naturally aspirated truck around here for a very long time. I wouldn't blow smoke up ur ass. I'll give u the facts cause I want u to stomp Chevys and dodges fo sho

slim
12-29-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah your right. Everyone swears my truck isn't stock. It's not that fast but I call it the chevy slayer lol pisses them off. He has the 1500hd 6.0. I smoke him every time. You have to keep in mind that I'm in Tuscaloosa Alabama... Rednecks galore. I'm not wanting a full "race truck" I just occasionally whoop on the z71s around here get what I'm saying? Not trying to build a full race truck. I wanna keep my 4x4 fx4! Lol.

RhinoZ24
12-29-2013, 02:44 AM
First of all. U should kill that truck. U know how much heavier it is than u? R u kidding? No way that truck should pull away from u. A 5 inch tip isn't gonna do anything for u but make it look like u want a diesel u can run straight pipes if u wish. But it isn't gonna do anything for your valves in your engine but hurt them. Trust me. I had a 522 hp 5.4. Same truck u got. Don't u think I would have run them too? Not worth it in the long haul. If u want a race truck. Ditch the 4x4 truck and get a 4x2 with a smaller wheel base and mod the f out of it. Your gonna kill that truck. It's badder tha. The Chevys I can test to that. But she ain't no racer unless u drop some $$$ into it

----------

Ryno. They all pretty much come with manafolds. Not headers. And to b honest. I haven't even looked at mine yet to give u a correct answer. Manafolds can restrict your exiting airflow. Remember. Company's try there best to cork it up to give u the most power and also giving the best fuel mileage. Thus the manafolds. Headers make it breath better fer sure

----------

Also u bet correct. Super 10 if u want flow and sound. A three inch tip will suffice. 5 inch is just gonna cost u more money for absolutely nothing. Trust me. I've had this truck and this engine. And was the fastest naturally aspirated truck around here for a very long time. I wouldn't blow smoke up ur ass. I'll give u the facts cause I want u to stomp Chevys and dodges fo sho

I stand semi-corrected then lol. Thanks Joe!

----------

Yeah your right. Everyone swears my truck isn't stock. It's not that fast but I call it the chevy slayer lol pisses them off. He has the 1500hd 6.0. I smoke him every time. You have to keep in mind that I'm in Tuscaloosa Alabama... Rednecks galore. I'm not wanting a full "race truck" I just occasionally whoop on the z71s around here get what I'm saying? Not trying to build a full race truck. I wanna keep my 4x4 fx4! Lol.

You can do that, get an exhaust system, a programmer/tuner, and maybe think about some electric fans. Won't break the bank (well depending on what brands or what you go with lol), you can keep your truck, and you can beat everything else. And don't go with a 5" tip, like Joe said it doesn't do anything and just costs more $$$.

slim
12-29-2013, 02:52 AM
Sounds good. Yeah the 5-6" tip is just for looks around here

RhinoZ24
12-29-2013, 03:06 AM
And that's all it'll do for you lol.

Jersey_Joe
12-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Right on slim. I get it. I'd just hate to see u spend money and just not get what u r wanting. Remember. I want u smokin those trucks too lol

slim
12-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys and right on I'm gonna continue making y'all proud! Lol. anyway I can post vids on here? I'll have to make some runs vs 6.0s, 5.3s, toyotas, dodges... Lol

Jersey_Joe
12-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Right on slim. I pride myself on being the hemi/tundra killer. Cause ya know. Them Chevys don't even have a shot. My new 5.0 is smokin em now and I haven't even touched it yet. Lol

slim
12-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Lol yeah I think maybe those Chevys had their day... In the past. I love how everyone else is sinking huge money and cubic inch into there trucks while Ford is dominating with the five O.

Jersey_Joe
12-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Dude. I ain't even kiddin. It's smokin fast. I have a plan. But eager to do just a few small things just to see what kind of change it has. It is f'n nasty cuz. But. I'll b pushin 800 hp no doubt. Boss kit with a hellion twin turbo kit. Gonna b a beast

----------

My buddy at hellion loves me. He's dyin to do a truck. Well I'm gonna b the first to break that wall down too.

btoolguy1
12-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Twin turbo!!! Sweet gotta see that! Glad i an only a half hour from atco. Come in warm weather.

Jersey_Joe
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Yeah man. My Shelby has the twin kit on it too. Along with the supercharger. She's a monster. But looks like a tt kit fer the 5.0

btoolguy1
12-29-2013, 06:26 PM
U have to fit it up for the truck? It even a package for the f150 yet?

RhinoZ24
12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
I hate being on the other side of the country. I want to go for a ride in your Shelby Joe lol.

slim
12-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Would an x pipe and dual straights be ok?

Jersey_Joe
12-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Yes!!!

slim
12-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Ok cool so the x pipe brings back the "back pressure"?

Jersey_Joe
12-29-2013, 10:44 PM
X evens your back pressure. Makes it louder. They don't REALY sell a kit. Ur gonna have to have that made. But will sound awesome

slim
12-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Sweet. I have a friend who builds race engines and he does just about everyone's "pipes" around town. He said he could but would charge a lil extra more than just dual straight pipes

Jersey_Joe
12-30-2013, 04:49 AM
U can do it yourself. Not that hard. But yeah man. Will do the trick

slim
02-21-2014, 12:06 PM
I got my straight pipe put on today. Single straight pipe to Y and 5 inch tips. Sounds so good!

RhinoZ24
02-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Awesome man!!

slim
02-21-2014, 10:14 PM

Yeah I tucked the tips in and turned them down a lil. Sounds real deep.

slim
02-21-2014, 10:15 PM

RhinoZ24
02-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Awesome look!

slim
02-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks man!

Jersey_Joe
02-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Dude. Looks good. Probably sound wicked. Congrats

slim
02-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks man it's really unique around here even tho a lot of guys have the same size tip, mine is angled different. It doesn't pop or anything. Sounds like a beast at idle too!

Jersey_Joe
02-22-2014, 01:14 PM
I'll bet. That's how they did it back in the day. An angle just like that. Big fan. Well show all the gm's up brother. Stay on top out there. And if u need any help let us know. Nationwide rally! Lol

slim
02-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Lol that's right! Guess what... Ironically it's funny you mention staying on top of GMs! This morning headed to work a newer model white Yukon called me out over a bridge. I pulled on him at the end of the race and he slammed on the breaks haa :P

Jersey_Joe
02-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Hahahaha. He didn't want none. He knew it was over lol. Good boy. Keep at em!

slim
02-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Lol yeah man it seems like I got better top end now