PDA

View Full Version : Water spots

davekamm
12-16-2013, 07:20 PM
I have some insanely hard water where I live, and I have water spots all over my windows. I have tried glass scrubs, CLR, vinegar, almost everything! What would take hard water spots off?

masonic
12-16-2013, 07:55 PM
You really did all that and it didn't work? Apparently I don't know what's hard water really is. Have you tried a flame thrower? I use spray nine, vinegar, acetone, etc. then window cleaner to get the scum off, then wax to replace all that was stripped off.

davekamm
12-16-2013, 08:35 PM
You really did all that and it didn't work? Apparently I don't know what's hard water really is. Have you tried a flame thrower? I use spray nine, vinegar, acetone, etc. then window cleaner to get the scum off, then wax to replace all that was stripped off. you used wax on the window?

btoolguy1
12-16-2013, 08:37 PM
I used wax before, i hear some people use clay bar, i think i read on hear of a window clay bar.

Jersey_Joe
12-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Clay bar actually works pretty good

davekamm
12-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Clay bar actually works pretty good where could I find a clay bar?

Jersey_Joe
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Any auto parts store should have it

masonic
12-16-2013, 11:29 PM
you used wax on the window?

Well I guess I have.. It works but it is greasy for a while, then works. Actually I meant on the paint when I'm taking calcium off. Then rain x wipe on the windows so the water beads off. Wash with hard water rinse with soft. Rain water is perfect.

Cody Deisel
12-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Damn I've never had to do any of that!

RhinoZ24
12-17-2013, 01:56 AM
where could I find a clay bar?

Same clay bar you use for paint as well.

Porkchop122873
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Make sure when u use the clay bar to do it in the shade and use a lubricant ......(spray wax) any brand
If the panel is hot or no lube the clay will smear.
Then couple coats of quality wax.

Sent from my iPhone

davekamm
12-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Make sure when u use the clay bar to do it in the shade and use a lubricant ......(spray wax) any brand If the panel is hot or no lube the clay will smear. Then couple coats of quality wax. Sent from my iPhone Ok, so any clay bar would work?

Porkchop122873
12-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Parts store, auto body supply store has them. Even wal-mart has mcguires clay bar and I think it comes with the spray wax.....I think.

Sent from my iPhone

RhinoZ24
12-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Ok, so any clay bar would work?

Yeah any clay bar that you would use for auto paint will also work for the windows. Brand doesn't matter but I would recommend Meguires as they make great products.

blacked_out
02-04-2015, 05:20 AM
You can clay the windows but it will not remove all the waterspots. I also live in a area with hard water and there are 2 products that I have used that work. One is Ceriglass made by carpro that is a glass polish and the other is duragloss nuglass and that is a waterspot remover. I would try the nuglass and it is available at Napa. If they don't have then you can ask if they are able to order it for you. If not Amazon always works. If that don't work then you would have to use Ceriglass and that works best by machine application(dual action polisher or rotary polisher with rayon glass polishing pads). Sorry for going a little deep but I figure help you out with what I know works and I use. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jersey_Joe
02-04-2015, 07:40 AM
I used my dual action buffer on my windows. Compound then polish. And the window turned out looking new

RhinoZ24
02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
You can clay the windows but it will not remove all the waterspots. I also live in a area with hard water and there are 2 products that I have used that work. One is Ceriglass made by carpro that is a glass polish and the other is duragloss nuglass and that is a waterspot remover. I would try the nuglass and it is available at Napa. If they don't have then you can ask if they are able to order it for you. If not Amazon always works. If that don't work then you would have to use Ceriglass and that works best by machine application(dual action polisher or rotary polisher with rayon glass polishing pads). Sorry for going a little deep but I figure help you out with what I know works and I use. Good luck!

I'll have to give that a try, my rear windows could really go without the water spots lol

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows, Toyota's the Turd

jtsarby
03-04-2016, 07:28 PM
I used 0000 steel wool and now have a haze on my window. Everything I read said 0000 steel wool was safe. The good news is that it removed the water spots.

RhinoZ24
03-04-2016, 08:50 PM
I used 0000 steel wool and now have a haze on my window. Everything I read said 0000 steel wool was safe. The good news is that it removed the water spots.

The bad news is that you've now scratched your windows with steel...

duramaxin14
08-06-2016, 02:31 PM
porkchop the easiest way to remove water spots is elbow grease and paste wax i wax every window on my vehicle if you think rain x is awesome u should wax it. imho it works better then rain x

FX4Life
08-06-2016, 11:13 PM
porkchop the easiest way to remove water spots is elbow grease and paste wax i wax every window on my vehicle if you think rain x is awesome u should wax it. imho it works better then rain x
Than* rainex

Lol, Nazi here, but feeling generous with the grammar portion

But jokes aside,I have been told that as well, and I need to do it on my vehicles

silvercreek
01-23-2018, 09:17 AM
I have used Liquid Glass Polish (expensive) for many years. You can use it on painted surfaces as well as glass, chrome or anything else. It does a great job removing water spots. I would also recommend that you install a water softener in the water line where you wash your vehicles. It's not all that expensive but certainly worth it.