PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Jfuhr83
12-08-2013, 10:01 PM
So my 91 ranger is about dead (almost didn't make it back from menards) and I'm buying a 97 f150 off a coworkers dad for a very reasonable price. Problem is they say it has blown head gasket. It's a 4.6L when I called the local dealership they said 2g to do head gaskets but the guy said he highly doubts the head gasket is blown. Guy I'm buying it from recommended getting a remanufactured engine and having it swapped out.
I mean its just some head gaskets, if I had not just bought a foreclosure house and have all my free time for the next year filled up I've done head gaskets before. But I don't have time so I'm asking what you guys who have experience with these motors and these trucks. 160,000 on the motor if everything sounds good but they say head gasket is blown would you just fix gasket or get a $1500 remanufactured engine off eBay and have someone put that in...

lee reece
12-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Might do a compression check to confirm that it does! Maybe a burnt valve!

2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

Jfuhr83
12-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Most of what I've read about this truck/engine they are pretty good. I need a super cab 4x4 and that's what this one is. And for 1750 it's a good price, has a new heater core and some break lines that seem not uncommon of a problem with these trucks replaced. I'll just cross my fingers and hope I'm not buying a basket case of a motor I guess. But that's what you hope any time you buy a used vehicle.

RhinoZ24
12-09-2013, 01:43 AM
I'd have a trusted mechanic check to see if it is really the head gasket and then go from there. If it is and it's cheaper for the reman motor, then I would go that route.

Raptor05121
12-09-2013, 07:50 AM
or get a $1500 remanufactured engine off eBay

No. Just....no

Never get anything off eBay and expect it to last.

Jfuhr83
12-09-2013, 08:12 AM
No. Just....no

Never get anything off eBay and expect it to last.

Yea, there's something about that scenario that don't sit right with my gut. It makes having a brand new engine too easy.

I'm picking the truck up next Friday, I'll bring it home and check the compression, oil, coolant, plugs. Anything else that someone who knows these engines recommends I check when I first get it? Thanks for all previous and any future help.

Jersey_Joe
12-09-2013, 10:30 AM
No. Just....no Never get anything off eBay and expect it to last.

X2-x3-x4^^^^^^^

----------

Yea, there's something about that scenario that don't sit right with my gut. It makes having a brand new engine too easy. I'm picking the truck up next Friday, I'll bring it home and check the compression, oil, coolant, plugs. Anything else that someone who knows these engines recommends I check when I first get it? Thanks for all previous and any future help.
When u get us and do the run down. We'll b here

RhinoZ24
12-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Yea, there's something about that scenario that don't sit right with my gut. It makes having a brand new engine too easy.

I'm picking the truck up next Friday, I'll bring it home and check the compression, oil, coolant, plugs. Anything else that someone who knows these engines recommends I check when I first get it? Thanks for all previous and any future help.

With the mileage you listed I would automatically change the fuel filter and clean the throttle body too. And definitely check the transmission fluid to see if it needs to be flushed.

Jfuhr83
12-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Talked to the kid at work who's dad I'm buying it from today to try to get a better handle on a timeline of what has happened. All ford recall stuff has been done except fuel tank straps.(ie cruise control fix, something on the front end and maybe others) break lines replaced. Heater core replaced probably a little less than a year ago (this combined with head gasket throws minor red flag but could be unrelated, I've done a few and some were due to other issues and some just sucked) head gasket blew not that long ago. Apparently burning a decent amount of oil and maybe some coolant leakage. They put Lucas head gasket treatment in the oil and seems like problems have gone away. I've never dealt with that additive. I won't touch **** that has had stop leak put in the coolant (learned that stuff will destroy a vehicle when I was 17 and dumb). I will try to check everything you guys have mentioned. Probably start a new thread when I get it home next weekend and get to checking it out.

Jfuhr83
12-09-2013, 11:56 PM
From the best I could figure this is what the owner is recommending I buy and have put in, but you guys are saying these are junk? They are all over eBay for 1500 bucks