PDA

View Full Version : Vibration/shaking

slim
12-07-2013, 08:32 AM
My 03 5.4 has a rough,shaking idle. If it sits for a while like overnight, it starts up smooth. If I run it for a while, cut it off then turn it right back on, it feels rough and shakes slightly. Can feel it in the seats. Rpms stay still and don't fluctuate up and down.

lee reece
12-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Any engine lite come on ? Work on it recently?

2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

RhinoZ24
12-07-2013, 12:19 PM
My 03 5.4 has a rough,shaking idle. If it sits for a while like overnight, it starts up smooth. If I run it for a while, cut it off then turn it right back on, it feels rough and shakes slightly. Can feel it in the seats. Rpms stay still and don't fluctuate up and down.

It's hot starts that make it run rough? I'd say it's just the hot air from your engine bay that gets into your intake and when you start it up your engine sucks it in and runs rough for a while because hot air is less dense than cold air giving you less power and probably causing a slight drop in idle rpm, causing your shaking. Does it clear up after you drive it for a bit?

slim
12-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Engine light came on a few months back. Bank 1 and bank 2 lean. 90$ 02 sensor didn't fix it. It was a rubber elbow on a hose that had a burned hole in it. Replaced it and the light never came back on but still has that weird vibration in the interior!

Raptor05121
12-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I love it when people throw money at a problem. O2 sensors have nothing to do with lean codes.

slim
12-07-2013, 04:46 PM
It must, bc they printed out the causes of what it could be and 02sensors were on there. Plus the shop said it needs 02 sensors but evidently it didn't.

lee reece
12-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Have you cleanend throttle body? And map sensor ect..

RhinoZ24
12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
It must, bc they printed out the causes of what it could be and 02sensors were on there. Plus the shop said it needs 02 sensors but evidently it didn't.

Word of advice, for future reference never believe everything they tell you at a shop. They run a business and the goal of a business is to make money, they'll try and sell you anything they can if they think you know nothing of vehicles and are gullible enough. O2 sensors will not cause your engine to run rough, all they do is measure the oxygen in the exhaust gas to determine if the engine is running efficiently. This info is used by your ECU to adjust the a/f ratio to even it out. If the sensors go bad or if the readings are past acceptable variation levels then yes it will throw a CEL and code. But the O2 sensors wouldn't cause the rough idle.

Here's a list of possible causes if they haven't been checked or changed recently:
Fuel filter
Air filter
Fuel injectors could be clogged
Throttle body needs cleaned
Spark plugs and COP's

These are the most common causes of a rough idle, check them and clean/change what is necessary. For fuel injectors don't pay the shop to do it either, they'll bend you over the table with their prices, just go to an auto shop and pick up some fuel injector cleaner of which I recommend Lucas. Good luck and let us know what you find!

slim
12-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I haven't checked any of that guys. I appreciate the advice!

Jersey_Joe
12-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Engine light came on a few months back. Bank 1 and bank 2 lean. 90$ 02 sensor didn't fix it. It was a rubber elbow on a hose that had a burned hole in it. Replaced it and the light never came back on but still has that weird vibration in the interior!

Running lean? Is that what scanned? Coil pack sir! Worst thing about our beloved 5.4's. Coil packs suck ass. Mine go all the time. And I just rebuilt the hell out of my motor. Actually. That coda came up yesterday. To lean. Cyl 1. Put a brand new coil pack in and runs great. I'm tellin ya pal. That's it

slim
12-08-2013, 01:34 PM
How would I know which CP to change?

Jersey_Joe
12-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Is it triggering the check engine light?if so scan it. That will tell u what cyl is misfiring

slim
12-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Oh no man. Light went off when I replaced the rubber elbow on the hose. No more light for a while now.

Jersey_Joe
12-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Word of advice, for future reference never believe everything they tell you at a shop. They run a business and the goal of a business is to make money, they'll try and sell you anything they can if they think you know nothing of vehicles and are gullible enough. O2 sensors will not cause your engine to run rough, all they do is measure the oxygen in the exhaust gas to determine if the engine is running efficiently. This info is used by your ECU to adjust the a/f ratio to even it out. If the sensors go bad or if the readings are past acceptable variation levels then yes it will throw a CEL and code. But the O2 sensors wouldn't cause the rough idle. Here's a list of possible causes if they haven't been checked or changed recently: Fuel filter Air filter Fuel injectors could be clogged Throttle body needs cleaned Spark plugs and COP's These are the most common causes of a rough idle, check them and clean/change what is necessary. For fuel injectors don't pay the shop to do it either, they'll bend you over the table with their prices, just go to an auto shop and pick up some fuel injector cleaner of which I recommend Lucas. Good luck and let us know what you find!
Very nice write kid

----------

Man I'll tell ya. The kid nailed it. Check all that. Clean all of that. When was the last time it's had plugs?

slim
12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
I honestly don't know when the last time it had plugs. I bought it at 145k miles. Has 174k now and I've never done anything to it.

Jersey_Joe
12-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I honestly don't know when the last time it had plugs. I bought it at 145k miles. Has 174k now and I've never done anything to it.
Would prob b a good idea lol. Start there motorcraft

slim
12-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Will do

RhinoZ24
12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Very nice write kid

----------

Man I'll tell ya. The kid nailed it. Check all that. Clean all of that. When was the last time it's had plugs?

Thank you sir, just trying to be as helpful as everyone else lol.

----------

I agree with Joe, and with that many miles it would be a good idea to change the spark plugs anyways. Plus since you've put around 30k miles on it, it is also time for a new fuel filter (change every 30k miles). And I'd highly recommend cleaning your throttle body as its probably gummed up. The fuel filter and throttle body are 2 quick, easy, and cheap things you can do yourself without the shop. And for the fuel filter just like most replacement parts, go Motorcraft because these engines are very picky.

slim
12-08-2013, 09:42 PM
10-4 already changed the filter.

----------

And I'll clean my TB soon as possibly.

RhinoZ24
12-08-2013, 09:43 PM
10-4 already changed the filter.

Well that's one thing to check off. Next if the rough idle is still present, check the air filter and throttle body. Good luck again!

slim
12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Even the mechanic said he didn't feel anything but my friend did. He could tell by just sitting in it. RPM needle barely moves at all if any. I have a K&N air filter in. Can't remember if the truck has always done this.

lee reece
12-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Start with the plugs first if you have no history on truck then can't hurt to change them. And to check cop unplug one at a time till you find one that doesn't change rpm. That one would be bad!

slim
12-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Cool thanks

RhinoZ24
12-09-2013, 01:41 AM
Even the mechanic said he didn't feel anything but my friend did. He could tell by just sitting in it. RPM needle barely moves at all if any. I have a K&N air filter in. Can't remember if the truck has always done this.

You can still have a rough idle even if your RPM's stay constant on the tachometer. For instance I've had a slight rough idle since I got my '05 2 years ago. Since I have the 4.6L V8 my idle RPM when warmed up is around 700-750, when I noticed the rough idle my tachometer displays in the 600 range but it stays constant down there. The engine still shakes though. And just for some encouragement for you, I used to have the rough idle almost all the time but I did everything on the list I told you short of spark plugs (which I'll be doing over Christmas break) and it got to where it is now where it only occurs very seldom and usually on very hot days.

slim
12-12-2013, 12:31 PM
You can still have a rough idle even if your RPM's stay constant on the tachometer. For instance I've had a slight rough idle since I got my '05 2 years ago. Since I have the 4.6L V8 my idle RPM when warmed up is around 700-750, when I noticed the rough idle my tachometer displays in the 600 range but it stays constant down there. The engine still shakes though. And just for some encouragement for you, I used to have the rough idle almost all the time but I did everything on the list I told you short of spark plugs (which I'll be doing over Christmas break) and it got to where it is now where it only occurs very seldom and usually on very hot days.

Cool man thanks I'll try spark plugs

slim
12-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Ok truck is starting to "buck"now. Like jerk when I'm driving down the road.

Jersey_Joe
12-12-2013, 05:29 PM
No check engine light?

slim
12-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Not yet

RhinoZ24
12-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Cool man thanks I'll try spark plugs

No problem and good luck!

----------

Ok truck is starting to "buck"now. Like jerk when I'm driving down the road.

That might not be all spark plug issues then, is it like a sudden loss of power for a second where the tachometer registers and RPM drop and it feels like the engine is going to die? Or more like the transmission loses the gear for a second kind of jerking?

slim
12-12-2013, 06:47 PM
More like it's running out of fuel kind of feeling

Jersey_Joe
12-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Slim. That was my next question. Have u ever had to change the fuel pump? I had a similar problem. Changed my fuel pump and haven't had a prob since. Now. I'm not tellin u to throw money at your problem. But. When u turn on your key. Listen to see if u can hear it prime. If there is something wrong. U might here it flutter. Then you'll know.
Btw. U don't smell fuel do u?

slim
12-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Hmm well when I lay in the throttle, it won't act up. I'm at work on a night shift right now so I'll turn the key over in the morning and see if I can hear it. If I hear nothing, is that a bad thing?

slim
12-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Ok didn't hear anything when I turned the key over and I don't think I ever have. Truck jerks bucks stumbles, when cruising in OD at 50 mph say 1400 RPM

Jersey_Joe
12-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Ok didn't hear anything when I turned the key over and I don't think I ever have. Truck jerks bucks stumbles, when cruising in OD at 50 mph say 1400 RPM

Slim. I'm tellin u bud. Sounds like a coil pack. They r notorious

4x4lariatendicott
12-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I have a 04 3v that does the same thing took it to ford and they told me I have a cracked or broke vaccume line behind the engine block and fire wall don't know if that's your problem but it sounds like the same issue I'm having

slim
12-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys

----------

Ok it has a rough shaky idle and Rpms are slightly moving

----------

Headed to get a diagnostics test ran. Engine light is on

----------

Cylinder #4 misfire!

Jersey_Joe
12-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Coil pack!!!!!!!!

----------

Told u homie. Lol. All good. She'll b runnin good soon. Easy fix and cheep

----------

#4? U may have the same prob that I had. Water drips down from the tray located right above it. Ford has a fix for that.

slim
12-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Now I have ppl telling me I need to change the spark plug first before the coil pack.

lee reece
12-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Check fuel pressure !!

Jersey_Joe
12-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Here's the deal slim. U said u don't know when the last plug job was. It prob wouldn't hurt to change all your plugs. U can't just change one. Well u can of course. But why. Change em all. As far as the coil? Trust me when I say this. I am a master at this 5.4. U only and I mean only have to change the coil pack. To fix your problem.

Now. Ford recommends changing all of them at 100k. If u have the scratch? By all means. Not gonna hurt. But for right now. One will do the job for u.
But no. U do not have to change the coil and the plug to fix your problem. Only the coil.
If your pushin mileage on your beast. Do yourself a fave and get 8 new motorcraft plugs. Plus it will run more efficient. Motorcraft is the best for your truck. My Shelby has over a 1000 hp and it still has motorcraft in it.

slim
12-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Lee I'm hoping fuel pressure doesn't have anything to do with #4 cylinder misfire. And Joe, so basically change all 8 plugs only?

RhinoZ24
12-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Lee I'm hoping fuel pressure doesn't have anything to do with #4 cylinder misfire. And Joe, so basically change all 8 plugs only?

All 8 plugs and the coil pack on cylinder #4 is what he is getting at.

slim
12-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Ok is it true that I need to let my truck sit for like 24hours before changing plugs?

Jersey_Joe
12-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Ok is it true that I need to let my truck sit for like 24hours before changing plugs?
Absolutely not

----------

Change all 8 plugs and the #4 coil pack.
#4 is passenger side. All the way in the back

joshpickworth
12-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Joe do you suggest motorcraft coils too or are there any better after market ones

Jersey_Joe
12-14-2013, 11:26 AM
To b honest josh. They r all the same. They r all gonna fail at some point. You can go to your local parts store and and save half the cost of ford. To b honest. All ford does is have them delivered with fmc ford motor company on it. I've done my research and the only set that I think could possibly give u a small minuet edge is msd.

RhinoZ24
12-14-2013, 01:41 PM

No, just until it's cold, usually 3-4 hours after its been fully warmed up.

----------

To b honest josh. They r all the same. They r all gonna fail at some point. You can go to your local parts store and and save half the cost of ford. To b honest. All ford does is have them delivered with fmc ford motor company on it. I've done my research and the only set that I think could possibly give u a small minuet edge is msd.

So Motorcraft for plugs and it doesn't matter about COP's then?

Jersey_Joe
12-14-2013, 03:01 PM
No, just until it's cold, usually 3-4 hours after its been fully warmed up. ---------- So Motorcraft for plugs and it doesn't matter about COP's then?
Nope

slim
12-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks everyone

RhinoZ24
12-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Nope

Sweet, I can save a few bucks then lol.

slim
12-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Sweet, I can save a few bucks then lol.
That's right. Me too!

Jersey_Joe
12-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone
Most welcome

slim
12-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Ok guys I put a new coil pack on. The old one fell apart when I put a socket on it! Anyways it runs way better but still has that vibration/shaking inside.

Jersey_Joe
12-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Ok guys I put a new coil pack on. The old one fell apart when I put a socket on it! Anyways it runs way better but still has that vibration/shaking inside.

Def do a plug job slim. Will run waaaaaay better

slim
12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Ok man

willLHP
01-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Slim. That was my next question. Have u ever had to change the fuel pump? I had a similar problem. Changed my fuel pump and haven't had a prob since. Now. I'm not tellin u to throw money at your problem. But. When u turn on your key. Listen to see if u can hear it prime. If there is something wrong. U might here it flutter. Then you'll know.
Btw. U don't smell fuel do u?

I have this problem I did the plugs and coils oil change air filter. I keep hearing o2 sensors but do u think its a fuel pump sometime I do smell gas. I did everything myself just want to know what it could be so I can hop on it

Jersey_Joe
01-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Man I'll tell ya. I replaced my coils. All of em. And 2 were bad. Changed them. After that I had no probs. I know u said u changed em. But that shaking no power bucking your talking about just screams coil pack to me

willLHP
01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Man I'll tell ya. I replaced my coils. All of em. And 2 were bad. Changed them. After that I had no probs. I know u said u changed em. But that shaking no power bucking your talking about just screams coil pack to me

So your saying change them again. I went and bought acel coils. And got it check no code came up but it said it was runnin lean and the acceleration isn't there at all

----------

I got accel coils u saying change them again. The codes I got didnt say it was a misfire it just said I was running lean.

Jersey_Joe
01-23-2014, 10:30 AM
I used the accel's before. Never had any luck to b honest. They were the worst I used.
Now. I don't mean change them. One could b getting weak and forcing the lean code. The way I would do it was. I have the truck running. And pull a coil one at a time. And I would narrow down where the ruff idel was coming from. I wouldn't throw money at it ya know? Or. U can take it to a certified Ford mechanic and let them tell u what it is

willLHP
01-24-2014, 12:26 AM
I used the accel's before. Never had any luck to b honest. They were the worst I used.
Now. I don't mean change them. One could b getting weak and forcing the lean code. The way I would do it was. I have the truck running. And pull a coil one at a time. And I would narrow down where the ruff idel was coming from. I wouldn't throw money at it ya know? Or. U can take it to a certified Ford mechanic and let them tell u what it is

If I took them off one at a time while it was running how would u find out where it's coming from

RhinoZ24
01-24-2014, 03:41 AM
The bad one will be the one that causes no change in idle speed or what not. The good packs should each cause it to idle really roughly when removed one at a time.

willLHP
01-25-2014, 11:03 AM
The bad one will be the one that causes no change in idle speed or what not. The good packs should each cause it to idle really roughly when removed one at a time.

Is this safe lol

RhinoZ24
01-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Ask Joe on that lol, he's done it before, but I never have. I've just seen him post it for a bunch of people with the same problem. I'm pretty certain it is, but ask him the proper way to do it to ensure nothing gets messed up.

willLHP
01-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Ask Joe on that lol, he's done it before, but I never have. I've just seen him post it for a bunch of people with the same problem. I'm pretty certain it is, but ask him the proper way to do it to ensure nothing gets messed up.

I did it abd found out I have a dead cylinder any advice

Jersey_Joe
01-26-2014, 12:37 AM
A dead cylinder is a cylinder that is not firing. No power being made by that cylinder.

There could be any number of reasons why a cylinder will not fire. So no good estimate for repairs can be given without not knowing the exact cause.

It could be an ignition problem. It could be something as simple as a bad spark plug or a bad spark plug wire. It could be a bad coil.

Gota find out the root of the problem

It could be fuel related. It could be a bad fuel injector or wiring to the fuel injector.

It could be an internal problem. A blown head gasket. A bad valve. A blown piston. etc.

As it could be so many things, there is no way of knowing the repair cost until the exact cause of the dead cylinder is diagnosed.

----------

Sorry I can't b of much help. Dead cyl could b anything. But did u get a lean code? Could b injectors. Could b a plug, coil? Run a pressure test to fig kit if it's a head gasket.

willLHP
02-01-2014, 09:43 PM
A dead cylinder is a cylinder that is not firing. No power being made by that cylinder.

There could be any number of reasons why a cylinder will not fire. So no good estimate for repairs can be given without not knowing the exact cause.

It could be an ignition problem. It could be something as simple as a bad spark plug or a bad spark plug wire. It could be a bad coil.

Gota find out the root of the problem

It could be fuel related. It could be a bad fuel injector or wiring to the fuel injector.

It could be an internal problem. A blown head gasket. A bad valve. A blown piston. etc.

As it could be so many things, there is no way of knowing the repair cost until the exact cause of the dead cylinder is diagnosed.

----------

Sorry I can't b of much help. Dead cyl could b anything. But did u get a lean code? Could b injectors. Could b a plug, coil? Run a pressure test to fig kit if it's a head gasket.

Found the problem it's my fuel injectors but will that cause it to die on me when I come to a complete stop

RhinoZ24
02-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Found the problem it's my fuel injectors but will that cause it to die on me when I come to a complete stop

It could if the injector is so clogged to where when you're at idle when that cylinder fails to fire it causes the truck to lose enough power to die, yes. Because at idle the cylinders aren't firing that fast, an one complete dead cylinder could be enough to cause it to die, and especially if its the same problem in multiple cylinders. It could also be a clogged IAC (Idle Air Control) valve that kills the engine at idle. Might want to get that checked out too.

Jersey_Joe
02-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Man. I thought about that. Could b an injector. But a veared away from that fer reasons I have nonidea. It's just always been a coil. So I've gone with that. Sorry I was no help

----------

Man. I thought about that. Could b an injector. But a veared away from that fer reasons I have nonidea. It's just always been a coil. So I've gone with that. Sorry I was no help

Die when u come to a complete stop? Or die when u try to go after your stop? Sounds goofy I know but which one?

01f150viseman
02-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Try the idle air control valve

willLHP
02-12-2014, 08:56 PM

----------

Die when u come to a complete stop? Or die when u try to go after your stop? Sounds goofy I know but which one?

When I stop. I got it tested it was one if the injectors were bad. It was goin in the shop this week but it shut down on me Friday n would start then kill unless I held the gas. So I decided while she in the shop change the injectors o2 sensors and fuel filter and see if that solves it

dchawk81
06-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Is this safe lol

You can just unplug the wire going into the coil. Don't have to remove the coil completely.

RexReid
06-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Word of advice, for future reference never believe everything they tell you at a shop. They run a business and the goal of a business is to make money, they'll try and sell you anything they can if they think you know nothing of vehicles and are gullible enough. O2 sensors will not cause your engine to run rough, all they do is measure the oxygen in the exhaust gas to determine if the engine is running efficiently. This info is used by your ECU to adjust the a/f ratio to even it out. If the sensors go bad or if the readings are past acceptable variation levels then yes it will throw a CEL and code. But the O2 sensors wouldn't cause the rough idle.

Here's a list of possible causes if they haven't been checked or changed recently:
Fuel filter
Air filter
Fuel injectors could be clogged
Throttle body needs cleaned
Spark plugs and COP's

These are the most common causes of a rough idle, check them and clean/change what is necessary. For fuel injectors don't pay the shop to do it either, they'll bend you over the table with their prices, just go to an auto shop and pick up some fuel injector cleaner of which I recommend Lucas. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Rhino,

There is some truth to that. My shop says "No. You don't need to do that; I would just drive it." The guys dumpy looking shop is always backed up and when I stop in, they always make time for me. The owner gets there a half-hour before everyone else to move care so they can work. The owner works too. That is the shop you want. They work hard, they are good and they are honest. You might even consider driving to San Diego for these guys--B and B auto

RhinoZ24
06-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Rhino,

There is some truth to that. My shop says "No. You don't need to do that; I would just drive it." The guys dumpy looking shop is always backed up and when I stop in, they always make time for me. The owner gets there a half-hour before everyone else to move care so they can work. The owner works too. That is the shop you want. They work hard, they are good and they are honest. You might even consider driving to San Diego for these guys--B and B auto

Oh I have one shop I trust completely and even one Ford dealership. The rest are all scam-artists lol.

RexReid
06-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Oh I have one shop I trust completely and even one Ford dealership. The rest are all scam-artists lol.

That's what you want...a good one. I don't want to lump any repair shops and I get that everyone needs to eat, but there are many looking to take short cuts to wealth. You should look up B and B auto here in San Diego on yelp.

RhinoZ24
06-03-2014, 03:00 AM
That's what you want...a good one. I don't want to lump any repair shops and I get that everyone needs to eat, but there are many looking to take short cuts to wealth. You should look up B and B auto here in San Diego on yelp.

Quality Firestone in Garden Grove. The owner and his son are Chevy guys but they do good work and since we've known them for so long they give us good deals and do some stuff for free. Any major work I need I go to them.

RexReid
06-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Quality Firestone in Garden Grove. The owner and his son are Chevy guys but they do good work and since we've known them for so long they give us good deals and do some stuff for free. Any major work I need I go to them.

Are you sure? I've heard the chevy guys at Firestone sabotage Fords????????????????????

dchawk81
06-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Any major work I need, I bust out the tow dolly and put the highest paying scrap yard in the GPS. :P

Porkchop122873
06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Any major work I need, I bust out the tow dolly and put the highest paying scrap yard in the GPS. :P

Haha I feel like doing that sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone

dchawk81
06-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Just kidding. I get major satisfaction out of "resurrecting" a vehicle most people would abandon and making it better than it's been in years.

But only if I get it dirt cheap.

RhinoZ24
06-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Are you sure? I've heard the chevy guys at Firestone sabotage Fords????????????????????

Not this one, they do great work.

----------

Lmao