PDA

View Full Version : Clifford the truck :: 1999 Ford F-150

Bosanski
10-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Clifford the truck :: 1999 Ford F-150 (2013-10-07 14:05:02)

----------

Not mouch done to it so far, doing some basic maintanence on it over the next few days to get it running smooth(er).
Plan to pull the seats from a 01 XLT (cloth) to replace my worn and torn leather seats.

Also gonna take its fender (a spare to cut up) so i can possibly do a snorkel intake (ideas still bouncing around)

Not looking to jack up it huge or off road it really. only a 2wd w/ a 42v6 so its just a work/daily truck, and gas mileage is my aim for it haha. Granted i still want that aggressive look haha

Also gonna swap out the chrome and chrome surround on the front end for the black surround and updated grill of the 01.

After that its basically cleaning and saving up to fix and replace anything needed.

Bosanski
10-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Would it be worth my time/effort to pull the front bumper from my parts truck and swap it into mine? Its less dinged up and has fog lights. If i do take it, how hard is it to wire in the fogs?

Bosanski
10-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Well I didn't get to finish what I wanted today, gonna hopfully finish it tomorrow (day off).
Also noticed my windshield wipers act weird? They only work on the very last 2 settings, that's it. So its either off, fast, or faster?
Also when I turn my truck off and walk to the front, it smells strong of gas, a buddy said that's normal for these gen f150s but I have a engin light for bank 1 lean (ill get the code tomorrow). Could they be related?

lee reece
10-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Would it be worth my time/effort to pull the front bumper from my parts truck and swap it into mine? Its less dinged up and has fog lights. If i do take it, how hard is it to wire in the fogs?

Is there already wiring in the dash? If so a matter of puttin in a switch and plugin them in ? If not you would have to wire them in a circut with protection and switch!

2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

Bosanski
10-08-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't know if there is already the wiring, Ill check and find out. If I have to wire them in seperately, what kinda fuse would I need? A 10A should be fine right? Its only the fectory fogs from an 01 xlt

lee reece
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
We'll check the circut on the doner truck to see fuse size and rate the switch to that amperage.

Bosanski
10-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Good idea haha, ill just pull the lights and wiring and all, might have to find a wa to make the switch work but should be simple enough

RhinoZ24
10-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Good idea haha, ill just pull the lights and wiring and all, might have to find a wa to make the switch work but should be simple enough

If its the same as the '04-'08 model years, the head lamp switch should also control the fog lights. Just swap the in-dash switches an that should work. No drilling for new switches required.

Bosanski
10-08-2013, 11:24 PM
My truck is a 99 and parts truck is 01, but mines an XL and parts is a XLT

RhinoZ24
10-08-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm saying that in the '04-'08 model years the headlamp switch also controlled the fog lights. So if it's the same way in the '97-'03 model years then you can just swap the two dash switches and fuses. And the XL and XLT's weren't much different, XLT is just a more luxurious work truck. Headlamp switches would be all the same for any trim level. These trucks are all the same, only difference is trim level and how many goodies you get with each level. But frame, body, engine, and the bigger stuff is all the same.

Bosanski
10-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Ahh ok, sorry for the misunderstanding haha ill stop by the shop tomorrow and check the prts truck and see how I could go about it. Hopefully it'll be as simple as swapping the switches

RhinoZ24
10-09-2013, 12:10 AM
It's all good and you should be able to do the swap. Let us know what you find!

Bosanski
10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Can you guys point me in the right direction to find the camshaft sensor? I got a code for it and wana replace it as soon as I can.
Can't seem to find much online but I guess I'm not searching right

Jersey_Joe
10-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Can you guys point me in the right direction to find the camshaft sensor? I got a code for it and wana replace it as soon as I can.
Can't seem to find much online but I guess I'm not searching right

Autoanything.com. Lmctruck.com. Or call your local ford dealer

Bosanski
10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I have the new part, but can't find the old one on the engine. Its sensor 1 is what it said, so I take that's the driver side camshaft. Some say the sensor is behind the AC compressor and to just move it out of the way, others say its on the other side nar the firewall?

Also I replaced my oil and plugs, good thing I haven't drove it much since I got it, was very low on oil, little over 2 quarts!
Ill keep an eye out for any leaks or burning oil signs.

also my plugs were very bad, #2 & #3 (passenger side middle and rear) weren't even tightened in all the way, seemed threaded in a little only.
I had no misfires though, could that contribute to bad mileage?

Bosanski
10-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Is there a way to aim my healights up more?
I went to pull the bumper off the parts truck but I had a friend help and he managed to strip all the screws holding it on so its seemingly stuck on haha.
I've got a cheap set of aftermarket fogs, could I use em to fill in the gap a bit and even out the light?
Also my driver bulb seems brighter than my passenger side as driver lights up more.
Wana get some nice, bright, new bulbs and install the fogs to get better light output

RhinoZ24
10-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Is there a way to aim my healights up more?
I went to pull the bumper off the parts truck but I had a friend help and he managed to strip all the screws holding it on so its seemingly stuck on haha.
I've got a cheap set of aftermarket fogs, could I use em to fill in the gap a bit and even out the light?
Also my driver bulb seems brighter than my passenger side as driver lights up more.
Wana get some nice, bright, new bulbs and install the fogs to get better light output

Alex aka Raptor05121 is the light man lol. If he doesn't respond to this, send him a private message.

Jersey_Joe
10-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Alex aka raptor. Aka the professor!

Bosanski
10-15-2013, 12:33 AM
So I got it all cleaned up (inside mostly)
Outside got a rinse
Rims are caked with brake dust, any good tips on getting it off?
Didn't clean the engine bay too much
And got everything replaced except the cam shaft sensor (day off tomorrow so doing it then)
I also got new brakes and rotors to replace the fronts (drums in rear).
I thought they needed changin as brakes are soft and pedal goes down almost half way before I feel it stopping. Took the tires off, rotors and brakes look good? Brake fluid is full.
I'm thinking air in the system? I'm gonna bleed em tomorrow and see if it gets better.

Still contemplating about the off road lights where to put em

Bosanski
10-15-2013, 04:53 PM
got a Flowmaster 40 series and some piping. gonna try and get all that on there tomorrow maybe?
and then toss on my off road lights another time this week if i get the chance.
and again i notice the gas smell when the truck is running and shortly after shutting off?
anyone know what it could be? gas mileage isnt too terrible so i dont think its leaking (but still a possibility)
any tips or advice as to where to check/look for this problem?

RhinoZ24
10-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Great muffler the 40 Series, that's what I have on my '05 4.6L. And you said you changed your plugs right? Did the gas smell start occurring after you changed them? If so then your plugs aren't tightened all the way.

Bosanski
10-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Ill go out right now and check my plugs. What's. Good baseline to tighten em? (No tq wrench)

Jersey_Joe
10-15-2013, 05:58 PM
TIGHT! Lol ive always gone with a solid snug I've nver had a prob

Bosanski
10-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Well I made sure they were all nice and tight, back of the motor drivers side seemed the loosest and back engine passenger side also slightly loose. They seem to kinda be partially stripped? As I can tighten em for a good few 1/8 turns so I got em tight to a point I feel safe with. Ill have to check if it is stripped tomorrow as the old ones where the same way when tightening but come out no problem

But tightened em up all the way tht I could, ran it for a minute or so and no gas smell so far, tomorrow morning will be the real test

----------

Also noticed a small knocking sound (since I've had the truck)
Previous owner said its been there for years and some say its no problem.
I took a video (too dark to see anything but it was me explaining where the sound is from and you can hopefully hear it as well, ill upload it shortly

RhinoZ24
10-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Good to hear and unfortunately the early years of these motors the genius engineers at Ford only put like 4 threads on the spark plug holes, it wasn't until 2003 I think when they fixed it and put 8 threads on them. The V8's had issues with blowing plugs quite commonly. And if the tick is what I think it is, it's normal but I'll wait for the video. Keep us updated on the gas smell though.

Bosanski
10-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Sorry for waiting so long to upload the video, forgot about it (netflix took me haha)
http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1124.photobucket.com/albums/l566/zerosniffer/video-2013-10-15-20-00-11_zps61782ed8.mp4

Hahaha sorry I sound weird, videos make me sound 14 (I'm 19) ha but seems u can hear the knocking best towards the end when I have the phone right under the driver door sill on the outside

Bosanski
10-17-2013, 12:37 PM
so any updates as to what you guys think the sound could be? i have one of those automotive stethoscopes and i used it to hear around, sound isnt in the top end, i wana say it seems a low end noise? cant be that bad as prev owner said its been there for years

RhinoZ24
10-17-2013, 05:50 PM
For some reason I can't view the video. I'd love to give some input if my phone or iPod would allow me too. Can you describe what it sounds like?

Bosanski
10-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Almost like a diesel sound? Ill upload it to youtube tonight as well and link it so others can view it easier

RhinoZ24
10-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Almost like a diesel sound? Ill upload it to youtube tonight as well and link it so others can view it easier

Alright, I'll be sure to watch it and see if I can help identify it.

Bosanski
10-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I uploaded it but phone won't link it. On youtube search my username SuperStooges3 and it'll be on my uploads

RhinoZ24
10-17-2013, 07:31 PM
It's sounds like a diesel conversion lol. And you said its at the bottom end of the engine? I can't tell because the video is too dark. If it was the top end it would probably be the cam or super bad valves, but if it's the bottom end of the engine I have no idea unless its really noisy pistons or a crankshaft. Time to call in the professor.

----------

Alex! Your services are requested.

Bosanski
10-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Haha let's hope he chimes in, ill get a better video in the morning so you can see better (howevr that may help haha)

----------

Is there a way to temporarily diable my fan? It creates a lot of wind noise and makes it hard to pinpoint the sound on video? I could take the belt off right? It wouldn't do any harm if it ran without the fan on for a minute? (It'll be the first start of tomorrow in the parking lot)

RhinoZ24
10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Unfortunately unless you take the fan blade off completely I don't think so. I'm not 100% certain but I think even your model year uses a serpentine belt instead of a bunch of individual belts. So if you take that off your engine won't run for long and your battery will die in no time since the alternator won't be able to generate a charge.

Bosanski
10-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Hmm, dang, ill have to find a way around my phone picking up so much wind noise from the fan then since I dnt wana go tht far into taking the fan off (at least not until I go e fan)

RhinoZ24
10-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Hmm, dang, ill have to find a way around my phone picking up so much wind noise from the fan then since I dnt wana go tht far into taking the fan off (at least not until I go e fan)

Good choice lol and I'll send Alex a pm to see if he'll have some input for you.

Bosanski
10-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Alright thanks, for the meantime I guess ill continue to drive it since the sounds been there since I got it (and a while before allegedly) and I have no CEL and it drives smooth so far. You guys think its something I should worry about or not? Only CEL I get is bank 1 or bank 2 lean once in a while pop up and go away on its own

Bosanski
10-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Well I uploaded another video on youtube of the knocking sound. Again, sorry for the bad sound/video quality but the best I can do without being in person. Its under the username SuperStooges3.
Took the taillights off the parts truck onto mine as mine were cracked and chipped.
Also changed brakes and rotors, greased the bearings like a mofo haha not taking any chances. NEVER seen a rotor setup like that, very interesting.
Also changed my camshaft sensor, CEL is off now. Idled funny a bit then smoothed out again.
The old cam sensor was cracked inside and out, and the magnet/metal inside the sensor was broke into 3 pieces, was fighting to get it off and get the new one on nd in position haha
But so far all I got left to do is fix my driver door speaker, install flowmaster 40 series and the offroad/fog lights.
MIGHT change bumpers to the one from my parts truck but my brother said they bolt on differently so ill have to see wat I can do about that.

RhinoZ24
10-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Sounds good man! I tried pm'ing Alex but I guess no luck. If you have no codes and it runs fine and the previous owner said its been there for awhile I wouldn't worry unless it suddenly gets worse. And the rotor setup? You mean how the hub bearing and brake rotor are all one part? Yup, it sucks when the bearing goes bad and you have to replace the whole thing. Had to do that on my '05.

Bosanski
10-19-2013, 05:39 PM
The only codes I have are bank 1 and bank 2 lean. I haven't found any cracked or worn hoses yet. Ill keep looking though, any other ideas?
And thanks! It'll sound nicer in a few days when the new muffler is on

RhinoZ24
10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't think the engine running lean would make that noticeable of a sound. But I still have no idea as to what it could be.

Bosanski
10-19-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't think so either, and they're not constant, on and off kinda deal from wat I've noticed. And on my code scanner it shows they're also in pending mode as well

Bosanski
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Anyone know some good e fan kits? Dnt wana break the bank and wana get some MPG an a few horsies back.
Would you trust and kits on ebay? I dnt buy there much and aren't sure of what to look for in these kits?

RhinoZ24
10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Autoanything.com will give you a good selection with some feedback. Plus it'll ensure it fits your truck and you get everything you need. I recommend taking a look at the Flex-A-Lite lineup, they have a lot of options.

----------

Best prices too. And free shipping within the U.S.

Bosanski
10-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Alright awesome, thanks for the recommendation!

RhinoZ24
10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
You're welcome, and I recommend everyone to that site. Best auto site ever. Period.

----------

Just letting you know you probably won't see much of an mpg increase but probably a little bit extra power is about all.

Bosanski
10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
So this morning I went to start the truck, and nothing. Didn't even crank. All the electronics work though. I left my phone charger plugged in last night and it seems it had constant power, did tht drain my battery enough not to start? Or is the problem elsewhere.
Any help is great as I dnt want this to happen again.
The sooner the better (still won't start and I'm in it waiting for a friend from the next town to give me a ride)

Bosanski
10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
ok so i tried getting someone to jump start me, nothing.
tried tapping the starter, nothing.
tried jumping the starter, no sparks (nothing).
wires from battery to starter seem fine
i have all power but when i turn the key, only sounds you can hear are relays clicking.
ive tried putting it in neutral and still nothing.
tried putting in every gear to see in case the selector was off, and nothing.

i need to figure this out as soon as possible and as cheap as i can because i have no actual money to spend on this as i just bought new appliances and put a deposit on a new place im moving to soon.

any help guys?

fordrules
10-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Sounds like the starter selonoid On the right fender i think . Cost around 7 bucks

Bosanski
10-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Could you post a pic of it? And would one work from a 2001 4.6 v8 4x4 (my parts trucks)
So far I replaced 2 blown fuses (blown long ago) they were #3 and #6 under the dash, also went through and noticed a lot of fuses were incorrect size so used the online owners manual and replaced all with the correct size.
Still have the same problem though?
Also cleaned up all grounds and power wires from the battery to the solenoid. Couldn't get to the ground and power wires for the starter though.
Almost seems as if starter has no power as it didn't spark or do anything when I tried to jump it?

joshpickworth
10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
If your solenoid is burnt up it wouldn't jump the starter, I had one go out on my honda three wheeler, smaller set up but same principle

Bosanski
10-23-2013, 08:20 PM
So could I use the solenoid and/or starter from an 02 4.6? Thts my parts truck as mine is a 99 4.2?

I miss my old Subaru, anything 93-07 mechanical was swappable with ease haha

----------

so i went out and jumper the solenoid. started right up. so now to get a new one (unless i can use the one from my parts truck) any input on compatability yet?

RhinoZ24
10-23-2013, 09:41 PM
To be honest Idk, just compare the two and see if they're identical in specs. If not, it'd probably be better to get a new one anyways. They're cheap as FordRules said above.

Bosanski
10-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Yeah ill check it out, I just wana get as much as I can from my parts truck as I'm considering to scrap the whole thing. Might do a small/quick part out for interested people. Idk about the motor though, its good but seems the 5.4 is more wanted than a 4.6

RhinoZ24
10-23-2013, 09:56 PM
The 4.6 is a great engine, I have no problem with my '05. The 5.4 just has more power, but IMO more problems as well. Mainly the terribly designed spark plugs because of the 3V engines. Break off all the time in the cylinder heads if you're not extremely delicate in to moving them.

Bosanski
10-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Well I'm stranded. Need some help.
All I know is the starter works, solenoid works, its NOT getting spark and the engine scanner doesn't link? My cig lighter works though.
Any help/advice? Need it as soon as possible!

lee reece
10-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Look and see if yours has a single circut for strarting like main fuse in box under hood? Even tho solinoid sounds like it's clicking May not be letting owner thru? Check and see... Also you can take jumper cables and jump + on battery to lug on start. If it turns over there's your problem. In starting circut. Also theirs a ignition switch on colum? Might of went out. Let us no?? Have you scanned it to see if theirs a code set? Computer might have went out? Good luck ! 2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

Bosanski
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
So an update:
*jumped the starter solenoid 2 times, and now, its fine, starts with key no problem?
*got stranded yesterday on the highway, fuel pump went out.
*took to a well known shop and its gonna be 660 for new fuel pump assembly and labor, done in 1 day. But there's a catch..
*my gas tank is rusted. Badly. Especially on the top, rust holes going right through. Emptied gas tank, rust on inside as well..
*ordered a new aftermarket (same just made by diff company as ford discontinued the tanks) $250
*also gotta get a new strap as the middle one rusted off
*now the truck is gonna be at the shop till Monday evening and total is gonna be around $950

So that's all the new updates for now.
Feel free to comment thoughts.

RhinoZ24
10-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Sorry to hear that man, but at least you're gunna have your rig all fixed up. Just sucks it costs so much.

Jersey_Joe
10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
So an update:
*jumped the starter solenoid 2 times, and now, its fine, starts with key no problem?
*got stranded yesterday on the highway, fuel pump went out.
*took to a well known shop and its gonna be 660 for new fuel pump assembly and labor, done in 1 day. But there's a catch..
*my gas tank is rusted. Badly. Especially on the top, rust holes going right through. Emptied gas tank, rust on inside as well..
*ordered a new aftermarket (same just made by diff company as ford discontinued the tanks) $250
*also gotta get a new strap as the middle one rusted off
*now the truck is gonna be at the shop till Monday evening and total is gonna be around $950

So that's all the new updates for now.
Feel free to comment thoughts.

Man ill tell ya. They break. They smoke and they bleed. But she'll b all fixed up for ya soon. Good luck

Bosanski
10-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Also another thing I noticed, when first checking my starter I checked all fuses, 2 were blown, #3 and #6, also noticed those and a few other under the dash were incorrect. Got the owners manual online and replaced all with correct ones.
Later tht day after replacing blown/incorrect fuses I went to check my CEL. But my scanner wouldn't link/connect? Tried multiple ones and still nothing. Cig lighter works and fuse is good, other options?

RhinoZ24
10-25-2013, 07:46 PM
When you scanned it you did have either your truck running or the key in the full ignition position correct? Otherwise there's no power to the OBD-II port. Just checking first off, and if you did then the next most common thing would be a bad grounding wire.

Bosanski
10-25-2013, 09:38 PM
I tried scanning it with the truck on and with the key in every position. I got a multimeter yesterday, would I be able to check with it if its got 12v? Wat wires would I need to test?
And wen I get the truck back ill check all my grounds to make sure theyre good. Are there any I should keep an eye out for tht tend to cause problems?

RhinoZ24
10-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Use the multimeter to check the actual port. And not really any notorious wires, but after so many years and miles it is possible for wires and stuff to burn out.

Bosanski
10-27-2013, 04:11 PM
But would it die just like that? Work one day not the next?
Would I be able to take the port from my parts truck?
What all would I need with it?
I wana get this fixed as I have emission soon and its an auto fail if OBD2 can't connect.
And I REALLY don't wana take it to a shop for this. Seems quite a few people experience this problem and I know how quickly prices sky rocket for electric work.

RhinoZ24
10-27-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm not all that electrically inclined so to be honest I can't give you an honest answer about it. Try private messaging Alex, his Screenname is Raptor05121, he should be able to help you with this as long as you ask nicely lol.

Bosanski
10-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I sure will thanks

RhinoZ24
10-27-2013, 05:18 PM
No problem, I wish I could help more, but like I said I have no idea when it comes to wiring and such.

Bosanski
10-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Oh you've been a huge help so far, thanks a lot! Haha id be VERY lost and confused without this forum, I haven't even had to join any other f150 forums as this one has plenty info and a great community!

----------

Alright so I messaged the Professor, hopefully he can help.

Also I haven't put on my new flowmaster 44 muffler as I'm wondering if it will fail me in emissions?
The rest of the system is factory, just the muffler and about 18" of flewible tubing for advanced auto will be added on.

Would that give me problems passing emissions?

RhinoZ24
10-27-2013, 09:56 PM
The muffler? No. I have the Flowmaster American Thunder system with the Series 40 muffler and if I can pass emissions in the most regulated state in America when it comes to the environment, California, so can you lol. As for the flexible pipes I'm not so sure as all mine are aluminum tubing. And glad to hear you find this forum so helpful and enjoy it. It's the only one I'm on too and it's pretty great.

Bosanski
10-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Well got the truck back today, total was $1090.
Truck seems to idle slightly different? Not quite as smooth as I remember (then again I've been driving a 99 altima so I got adjusted to driving a small nimble car haha)

Gonna try to figure out my OBD2 port problem this weekend to check my CEL.

Also since I'm moving and have a garage now I wana get my mercedes in there to start working on it.
Wats the best way for me to tow it? I dnt have a trailer or anything. I figure best option is rent a car dolly from uhaul?
Would the truck be able to tow the benz on the bumper or would I have to get a ball (reciever?) For the hitch thts installed to the frame?

Jersey_Joe
10-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Yes def get a hitch and don't haul a Benz on ur bumper. Could prob do it. But kinda risky ya know. Very unsafe lol. U can get u haul to install your hitch for u

Bosanski
10-29-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a hitch already installed, just need the ball for it. Only have a ball for the bumper

Bosanski
11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
So I have inspection on Monday and I know ill fail. My problem, CEL and OBD2 port won't link to anything. I need a temp fix, as long as it can last 2 hours I'm fine.
I know its a bad and unsafe idea but I was thinking to try wat the prev owner did and put in a fuse with wire across the prongs. Will this work as a very temp fix?

RhinoZ24
11-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Idk man, using some bang up fix just doesn't seem like a great idea. If its a fuse and wiring problem you can probably go it yourself. If the fuse thing your buddy did worked then it means it's a fuse problem. I'd fix it the right way.

----------

I know you're on a budget but shouldn't be too bad.

Bosanski
11-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Well I tried relacing the fuse and that's when it quit worki.g I talked to Alex and he gave me some things to try so I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend

RhinoZ24
11-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Alright, I'm glad he responded to you. Good luck!

Bosanski
11-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I'm gonna spend the morning tracing wires and checking grounds, hopefully its as simple as tht

RhinoZ24
11-01-2013, 11:08 PM
I hope so too.

Bosanski
11-09-2013, 12:27 PM
well its been a while since i last posted an update.
so far the truck still has a CEL and still cant get the scanner to connect (havent put much effort to fix it with the freezing weather)
but i did fix my driver door speaker and replaced all of them while i was at it.
someone cut the wires to the driver door, why, idk. but i soldered and electric taped in new wire and some speakers i had in the garage. also me and my brother went ghetto and made some 6.5 speakers fit, we had to cut the mesh though for the speaker to poke through (had to put them in reverse, base was too wide)
sounds great!

next up ill be looking into fixing the OBD2 port on the next warmish day, hopefully its simple

and something else i was wondering, i love Reggae music, and theres only 1 radio station that plays it (103.3 [New england states]) but the reception is terrible, in any vehicle, in any spot..
is there any cheap way i can boost my antenna signal to hopefully pick up that station better?
im using a aftermarket headunit that ive had for a while, and its never gave me any reception problems, i already checked and made sure antenna was in the radio ass the way.

any help?

Bosanski
11-09-2013, 05:29 PM
I was wondering if u guys would be able to help me troubleshoot why my truck won't start?

Here's what I've done to it in the last week:
*cleaned out the bed and inside
*wired in some new speakers (all joints soldered and electric taped and shrink wrap as precausion)

Here's what I noticed since it won't start:
*it cranks over but won't start up
*I sometimes here a knocking sound coming from the engine bay, almost near the firewall?
*I haven't checked for spark/fuel yet as its pitch black and freezing outside

Any help is great, and not as big of a rush as I'm on vacation for the week and can use my gfs car if needed

RhinoZ24
11-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Bump.

Also think about creating a new thread in possibly the Technical section of the forum, that way you'll probably get more of a response from the rest of the forum users. Many don't seem to comment on the Garages section. Just a suggestion to possibly get you more help than just myself.

Bosanski
11-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Aright thanks, I will. So far narrowed it down to a fuel problem, seems my brand new pump isn't getting and power? Gonn a get in touch with the shop that replaced it all a couple weeks ago

RhinoZ24
11-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Aright thanks, I will. So far narrowed it down to a fuel problem, seems my brand new pump isn't getting and power? Gonn a get in touch with the shop that replaced it all a couple weeks ago

Good, glad you have narrowed it down. And they should have some sort of warranty or something since they just replaced it and it cost so much. But that also leads me back to thinking it has something to do with the speaker wiring, but see what the shop says first.

Bosanski
11-10-2013, 03:08 PM
took a wild swing, replaced the fuse for fuel pump (even though it looked good i wanted to make sure)
still no start.
i checked and had no fuel pressure..
bring out the multimeter. traced the problem down to the relay. a trip to Napa and $12 later, problem solved :)

also put on my flowmaster muffler. not much louder. deeper at idle and low RPM, little to no difference in mid RPM, and a decent deeper tone in higher RPM
ill try to take a sound vid to show comparison when i can find my good camera

RhinoZ24
11-10-2013, 04:53 PM
That's good to hear man, glad you found the issue an it was a cheap fix too. And sounds good!

Bosanski
11-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks! Im gonna be kinda busy from now on though working on a recent project i started up again. Ive been kinda restoring/rebuilding a 1992 Mercedes 300E 4MATIC but for the last year i havent touched it. Well my sister found out about it and wants it. So i made her a deal, if she gets her licence first try then its hers, but i gotta finish it for her.
So now i have a old project im gonna start up again and it sucks because i was never a good MB mechanic, never got too into it, but hopefully it wont take too long. After i finish up hers im gonna start finishing my MB (1992 300ce) [ive got a thing for early 90s MB's haha)

But back to the truck. Weather has been very cold and light sprinkle, the kinda weather where it sounds fine to work in but is a royal pain to be out in for more than a few min. And its supposed to get in inch or so of snow soon..
I just need 1 warmish day so i can go out and find and fix the problem with the dang OBD2 port. Once i fix that i can read my CEL and get to work on solving all the little things

RhinoZ24
11-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks! Im gonna be kinda busy from now on though working on a recent project i started up again. Ive been kinda restoring/rebuilding a 1992 Mercedes 300E 4MATIC but for the last year i havent touched it. Well my sister found out about it and wants it. So i made her a deal, if she gets her licence first try then its hers, but i gotta finish it for her.
So now i have a old project im gonna start up again and it sucks because i was never a good MB mechanic, never got too into it, but hopefully it wont take too long. After i finish up hers im gonna start finishing my MB (1992 300ce) [ive got a thing for early 90s MB's haha)

But back to the truck. Weather has been very cold and light sprinkle, the kinda weather where it sounds fine to work in but is a royal pain to be out in for more than a few min. And its supposed to get in inch or so of snow soon..
I just need 1 warmish day so i can go out and find and fix the problem with the dang OBD2 port. Once i fix that i can read my CEL and get to work on solving all the little things

Move to SoCal lol, plenty of warm days and no snow here lol.

Bosanski
11-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Haha id love to! Got a couple friends down there. But I heard emissions laws suck and rally regulations are tough

RhinoZ24
11-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Haha id love to! Got a couple friends down there. But I heard emissions laws suck and rally regulations are tough

It is probably the worst in the country lol, too many environmentalists.

Bosanski
11-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Its not bad up her in CT, emission laws aren't too strict, and they're no problem if you know the right shop to g to ;)
And rally regulations aren't too bad up in NE. I'm not too sure how my rally car would do with SoCal regulations haha

RhinoZ24
11-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Not too well probably haha.

Bosanski
11-18-2013, 09:00 PM
well forgot about this forum for a week haha oops, just recently bought my old mercedes back from a buddy i sold it to. needless to say its in a lot worse condition than when i had it. so im in the process of slowly rebuilding it ground up and giving it to my sister for her birthday.

onto the truck though, a little issue its had since i got it tht never seemed to big of a deal until yesterday, my windshield wiper stalk acts weird?
long story short when i turn the wiper setting it doesnt do anything to the wipers, if i press it in quickly i can get it to wipe a few times but i have to keep pressing it if its raining hard (which is obviously not safe)

i can get the last 2 speeds to work but on rare occasions, about 2/10 times can i get the last 2 to work, but every speed before them doesnt work at all.
how can i go about testing to see the problem?

and i wont be able to take anything off my parts truck as i pulled the motor, harness, ECU, and rear diff and had the rest scrapped

any help with my wiper problem would be great

lee reece
11-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Sounds like a switch problem? Have you done something to wiring?

Bosanski
11-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Only wiring I messed with was fixing wiring for drivers door speaker, nothing else

Bosanski
11-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Well its been a while since I updated this and I got quite a lot done on the truck lately.
-Replaced the motor with another 4.2v6 (old one started burning a bit too much oil and I got the new motor fo cheap)
-replaced transmission (came with new motor, had less miles on it)
-replaced front calipers with rebuilt ones
-new bushings and mounts for 70% of truck (OEM)
-replaced all relays and fuses (precautionary)
-newish tires all around
-replaced ebrake cable (old one seemed a bit too worn for my comfort)
-flushed and replaced every fluid I could think of at dealership
-new spark plugs, wires, distributor
-new air filter
-had throttle body and intake mani off and cleaned at a buddies shop

So as you can tell I got a lot done lately haha
Decided to put wat little I had left of my parts truck and some buddis connections to get this thing running like new and ready for the winter

Things left to do:
-fix OBD2 port
-check problem with windshield wiper stalk
-get new headliner (mines sagging/coming off in the very front and rear)
-replace seats (drivers seat is torn up)

RhinoZ24
11-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Sounds like you have been very busy! I'm glad to hear you have gotten so much fixed up and hopefully have it running all smooth by now.