PDA

View Full Version : Differential on 1984 f150 4speed

judaspriest75
09-22-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm wanting to make my truck go a little bit faster, not too fast, but to an ok speed and have a little bit more horsepower. I just don't want my top speed to stay at 85 forever.. Honestly I've never made it to even 81 because it stops pulling at around 78 ish. What would I need to do to my truck to make it do so. Btw it's a 1984 f150 4speed with a 300 i6 and I'm wanting to be able to do it at home in my own shop to get the feel of working on vehicles a lot because I'm joining the army in 9 months. I'm wanting to be a mechanic in the army so I want as much experience as I can get..

RhinoZ24
09-22-2013, 12:38 PM
An exhaust system to get you a little bit extra flow because the stock setup is too restrictive. Replace your plugs if you haven't already to ensure you get the best combustion possible. I'm assuming it has a carburetor so you may want to think about cleaning it thoroughly or getting a new one. And the just other regular maintenance, fuel filter, air filter, oil changes, etc. also what octane level fuel do you run?

----------

Also, make sure your throttle cable is tight and not loose.

5.0Flareside
09-22-2013, 06:48 PM
On a 300, give up on the thought of making it faster..

Just do basic maintenance and enjoy the mileage

Smokin' Tires with my 5.0 on Tapatalk

judaspriest75
09-23-2013, 01:09 PM
What about gas mileage? Any cheap and easy way of improvement?

Jersey_Joe
09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Well I agree wit mr 5.0. 300 straight 6 right? Not gonna get much faster than she is pal. That's a torque motor. And not fer nothin. A good one at that. My uncle has one with 500k on it. Runs like a top. I mean u can put a duel exhaust on it. And maybe a better air filter. But your not gonna get hp out of her.

----------

Now. If u want power. I'd put in a 302. Speed and trq. Just sayin. Not Tryin to burst your bubble my friend. But that motor isn't designed for hp

5.0Flareside
09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
What about gas mileage? Any cheap and easy way of improvement?

Maintenance.. If no leaks and feel comfortable a synthetic option is always gonna improve wear protection and reduce friction. Which will improve fuel mileage

Smokin' Tires with my 5.0 on Tapatalk