PDA

View Full Version : 2002 f150 wont crank at all

truckGuy07
09-02-2013, 08:25 PM
I have a 2002 f150 and it won't crank. All lights And electronics work and when I turn the key it just clicks. The battery is great and I changed my starter and it cranked once and made a loud grinding noise and now it won't crank at all. I've replaced the battery solenoid and checked my cables and relays and fuses. Everything looks good. Anyone know what could cause this problem? I'm thinking ignition switch or fuel pump? Please give me inputs

Raptor05121
09-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Now when you say it "clicks", does it repeatedly go "click click click" as long as you hold the starter? if so, that is a sign of low amperage to the starter. I would start by checking your connections to the starter. I've had to go under my truck and "jump" it with a flat blade screwdriver to get my truck to start.

can you get into more detail about your install? did it grind as the engine caught? did the engine stop running? did the second try yield the clicking sound?

truckGuy07
09-02-2013, 09:05 PM
I know what your saying ab the click click click an it doesn't even do that. It just clicks in the firewall. And the grinding noise came like it was the teeth on the starter and flywheel grinding against each other. As soon as I installed the new starter am cranked it, it grinded so I immediately shut it off and ever since, it won't crank. So what exactly should I do with the flathead screw driver?

----------

I really need help with this

Raptor05121
09-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Sounds like you may have done a boo-boo. My first step if I were you would be to remove the starter and check the bendix for damage. When you start the truck, there will always be a "click" as the starter solenoid draws power to the starter, you usually just can't hear it over the starter/engine spinning. But if the starter is jammed (such as the problem you may have) you will just hear the single click as the solenoid delivers power to the starter. Are you sure you installed the right model and you installed it correctly? Those mounting bolts are a PITA.

truckGuy07
09-03-2013, 02:25 AM
That actually sounds pretty equal to my problem. And when I remember I didn't tighten down the top mounting bolt all the way I do not believe. Is there anyway to fix the starter from being jammed? And what exactly does PITA mean?

----------

And also, what is the "bendix"?

RhinoZ24
09-03-2013, 07:18 AM
That actually sounds pretty equal to my problem. And when I remember I didn't tighten down the top mounting bolt all the way I do not believe. Is there anyway to fix the starter from being jammed? And what exactly does PITA mean?

----------

And also, what is the "bendix"?

PITA=Pain In The Ass

Raptor05121
09-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Well I would first go under there and see if there is anything out of the ordinary. Then take it off. It could be jammed or you could have broken the bendix, the helical drive spring, stripped teeth, etc. Either way, you won't know unless you take it off.

truckGuy07
09-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Ok sounds pretty legit. Thanks alot

truckGuy07
09-04-2013, 03:54 PM
How would I jump the starter with a flathead screwdriver?

Raptor05121
09-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Can you post a picture of the starter? I haven't been under there in a while. I think you touch the terminal with the body

truckGuy07
09-06-2013, 12:01 AM
I will try to tomorrow.

truckGuy07
09-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Where would the ground be that's grounded to the frame?