PDA

View Full Version : Adding Oil Treatment

branrm66
08-24-2013, 05:02 PM
I have a 2004 F150 Fx4- I've had to add oil a couple times. I was told by someone I should put an additive oil treatment in but was told by someone else it's not recommended for newer F150's. Does anyone know??

Jersey_Joe
08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
If its burnin oil. An oil treatment isn't gonna help it stop that. Does it smoke? When it starts? When u hit it? Addin that stuff isn't gonna fix ur prob ya know? Miles? 5.4?4.6?

branrm66
08-28-2013, 12:41 PM
No smoke or any other problems starting. Its a 5.4 liter triton. Oil change every 3-4 thousand miles.

branrm66
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Doesn't smoke at anytime. 5.4 liter. I have 128,334.9 miles on it. Oil change every 3-4,000 miles.

Jersey_Joe
08-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Any oil around your heads? Everything dry?

branrm66
08-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Everything is dry. Just been having to add more oil. So like I said, my dad suggested an oil treatment but ive seen and been told by some ppl its not recommended

lee reece
08-28-2013, 05:35 PM
I have had some engines that do burn oil. Between changes it would be a court low? I never seen it smoke? Also never had any leaks? Thus leads me to believe that some engines just burn oil! I never had any issues with the motor and when I sold it had 225,xxx! Run good for along time after then lost contact with the guy!

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Raptor05121
08-28-2013, 05:47 PM
How much oil is it burning? Modulars burn about a quart every 5,000 miles as they roll off the assembly line. If it has blow-by (blue exhaust or oily smell, 2+ qts every 3K, tapping sound during cold startup, etc) its time for new piston rings. No magic fluid (despite a companies best marketing) will magically stop oil from being burnt. You can switch to a thicker oil, but thats a temporary band-aid

My 4.2L V6 just turned 325k miles and it burns about 1.5qts every 5K

Jersey_Joe
08-28-2013, 06:23 PM
How much oil is it burning? Modulars burn about a quart every 5,000 miles as they roll off the assembly line. If it has blow-by (blue exhaust or oily smell, 2+ qts every 3K, tapping sound during cold startup, etc) its time for new piston rings. No magic fluid (despite a companies best marketing) will magically stop oil from being burnt. You can switch to a thicker oil, but thats a temporary band-aid

My 4.2L V6 just turned 325k miles and it burns about 1.5qts every 5K

Nice write Alex

5.0Flareside
08-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Ford specs 1qt every 5k is acceptable for a modular as I've posted in the past it runs 5w2" to be able to adequately lube the cam. As there are no cam bearings, and that's where most of the burn off comes from.

At work is see modulars come in all the time 2-4 qts low no leaks etc and been Doing 3k mile changes...

The key is what level oil you use..

Conventional is not good enough for most modern engines.. They don't have a good enough additive pack, nor the resistance to heat burnoff...

Most conventionals have they're additives (soon after the actual oil) burn off around 250*

Syn blends 450ish

Full synthetics, 700 or so..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Jersey_Joe
08-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Ford specs 1qt every 5k is acceptable for a modular as I've posted in the past it runs 5w2" to be able to adequately lube the cam. As there are no cam bearings, and that's where most of the burn off comes from.

At work is see modulars come in all the time 2-4 qts low no leaks etc and been Doing 3k mile changes...

The key is what level oil you use..

Conventional is not good enough for most modern engines.. They don't have a good enough additive pack, nor the resistance to heat burnoff...

Most conventionals have they're additives (soon after the actual oil) burn off around 250*

Syn blends 450ish

Full synthetics, 700 or so..

Our resident oil man. Lol. Also a great write. Between both Alex and Chris's posts. There's the answers right there. Great job guys

RhinoZ24
08-28-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm gunna speak up and ask a question here. Alex and Chris, Joe recommends ZMax highly and I trust him, I picked up some, both a gas and engine treatment combo and used the gas one already. I'm waiting another 900 or so miles till I'm due for an oil change to add the engine treatment to the oil. Do you guys recommend using it or no? Any harm or negatives? Any advantages? (Engine: 2005 4.6L 2V V8 ) I know the owners manual advises against it, but it also advises against a lot of other things we all add/mod to our trucks. Just want dome extra input, Joe I still trust your word and no hard feelings brother, just want to be safe and sure before I f*** up my engine lol.

Jersey_Joe
08-29-2013, 04:04 AM
Zmax just. Lubricates and cleans. And it penitrates metal. The only lube I know that does.

5.0Flareside
08-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Just like Joe said its pretty much the only additive I'd use.. But it is really just an extra additive pack.. But that's why I run full synthetic.. There's pretty much no more additives you can add..

Most oil additives like Lucas simply thicken up the oil to prevent burnoff/leaks that way.. Some people swear by it.. I've seen it kill more cars than save...

Jersey_Joe
08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Only plus to zmax is it has lincite in it. Only petroleum that can penetrate metal it came in my car when I bought it

----------

I'm gunna speak up and ask a question here. Alex and Chris, Joe recommends ZMax highly and I trust him, I picked up some, both a gas and engine treatment combo and used the gas one already. I'm waiting another 900 or so miles till I'm due for an oil change to add the engine treatment to the oil. Do you guys recommend using it or no? Any harm or negatives? Any advantages? (Engine: 2005 4.6L 2V V8 ) I know the owners manual advises against it, but it also advises against a lot of other things we all add/mod to our trucks. Just want dome extra input, Joe I still trust your word and no hard feelings brother, just want to be safe and sure before I f*** up my engine lol.

It ain't no sorry thing brosuph. It's all good. How u think I learned all this useless knowledge lol. I asked questions. I always ask a million. Lol. I use it every 6000 miles with out fail. In all my vehicles. But yes. Wait for a fresh oil change to add it. I was actually scared to death to put it in my truck when I first started to pour it in. Looks like water lol. I checked again to make sure it said engine and not gas on the bottle. Lol. It's a fantastic brand company exc... If Carroll Shelby endorsed it. Ill use it. He didn't put his name on any junk that's fer sure. Except fer a few dodges in the 80's but who keepin track lol

RhinoZ24
08-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Alright, I'll use it then. Thanks guys! Like I said, just checking since the owners manual said no to oil additives lol.

branrm66
09-02-2013, 09:14 AM
This is the one my dad picked up. So its not going to hurt anything? It burns about a quart or two between almost every oil change

branrm66
09-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Forgot to attach it to my post

5.0Flareside
09-02-2013, 11:28 AM
No reason to use it if your using a quality brand oil and semi-synthetic or greater with correct weight on a modular..

RhinoZ24
09-02-2013, 11:31 AM
That STP stuff is like honey with its viscosity. I use that in my '71 Buick because it leaks and burns oil. Works though, stops the leaking and reduces the burning. Idk about for these Ford engines though.

5.0Flareside
09-02-2013, 11:34 AM
That STP stuff is like honey with its viscosity. I use that in my '71 Buick because it leaks and burns oil. Works though, stops the leaking and reduces the burning. Idk about for these Ford engines though.

Older pushrod engines especially 80's ad older that's fine. Cause the clearances were wide and with wear and tear they're even wider.. Thicker oil won't hurt or additive..

But modulars, have very very tight clearances and once again,

NO CAM BEARINGS.. So if the oil is to thick, won't get in between head and cam to lubricate em and will burn cam up and have head noise..

Jersey_Joe
09-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Right. Thus the 5-(w20!). And not thirty!!! Not a good fix. Good in older stuff. But not the newer engines

branrm66
09-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I use the ford motocraft synthetic blend it says to in the manual.

Jersey_Joe
09-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I use the ford motocraft synthetic blend it says to in the manual.

Sorry. The start of the thread was using 20w and 30w. My b

----------

Nope diff thread. Lol