PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

jared05F150
08-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Just bought a 2005 f150 5.4 triton. Love the truck but has developed a sound in motor. Sounds like a tick. any ideas on what it is and what I can do to fix it would be awesome! Thank you truck has 116k miles and well maintained oil changed every 3k. Can post video just not sure if its possible from iPhone app. Thanks again

RhinoZ24
08-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the forum!! And that tick is normal. It's very common for the 5.4 to make a ticking noise at high mileage, it's notorious for it. It's the valve tick they are known for. As long as there aren't any other issues, then that's most likely what it is. Just run the recommended weight oil and keep up on maintenance and it'll stay at a minimum.

Tzahner
08-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm sure rhino or someone who knows more about this stuff will post soon but from my experience with ticking noises, its probably a lifter stuck in your engine.

----------

I guess we posted the same time..lol

RhinoZ24
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm sure rhino or someone who knows more about this stuff will post soon but from my experience with ticking noises, its probably a lifter stuck in your engine.

----------

I guess we posted the same time..lol

Yeah lol.

joshpickworth
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't say it's normal, but they are known for the infamous ticking, I've heard it's the manifolds or the cam phaser sensor, I'm planning on changing mine over to shorty headers and see what it does, if not hopefully the exhaust is loud enough you won't here it lol

RhinoZ24
08-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Also OP, there's another thread here in the 4.6/5.4 section if you scroll down a bit. It's titled Small "tick", it'll offer a few more explanations to your ticking sound. But once again it's normal in these engines, and as long as you keep them maintained they won't get worse or cause problems.

----------

I wouldn't say it's normal, but they are known for the infamous ticking, I've heard it's the manifolds or the cam phaser sensor, I'm planning on changing mine over to shorty headers and see what it does, if not hopefully the exhaust is loud enough you won't here it lol

If all else fails drown it out lmao.

jared05F150
08-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! It said it could also be dirty injectors? Would the cam sensor set off the CEL? Also should I clean my injectors and change the sensor to see if that is the reason why?

joshpickworth
08-20-2013, 12:35 PM
I had mine look at by the dealership since it was under warranty and they said my left sensor was bad, they changed it and it didn't take care of it