PDA

View Full Version : Faint Spinning Noise Under Truck. Low Power!!

maclegend43
07-31-2013, 11:32 PM
For roughly the past 4 months I have noticed that my truck has been lacking power. It's like it went from a v8 to a v6 over night. I no longer could spin the tires from a stop or do a simple brake stand. Not that I sit around all day doing these things, at 300 dollars a tire they rarely happen at all. Just trying to give an example as too the major power I am lacking.
Well last Tuesday on my way to work I blew out my transmission as well as the transfer case. 3500 dollars and a week later they are both now fixed and the truck is up and running.
However there is a new problem, there is now a faint whining noise whenever I put the truck under light pressure, for example, going up a hill at 25mph and at 1600rpms it makes the noise.
To me it's sounds like some gears are spinning. Also seems to be coming from the transfer case. Other than that the truck runs perfectly fine and will shift smoothly.
But even after all the work and money spent, I still have very low power output.
Any insight on either topic would be much appreciated!!

RhinoZ24
07-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Any CEL's? And what year and engine do you have? How many miles? Have you done all the scheduled maintanence?

maclegend43
08-01-2013, 12:12 AM
No cel, 5.4L, just broke 160xxx, been having power problems since about 150xxx

----------

Also 2001, and yes oil is changed every 3 thousand miles and just changed the fuel filter and air filter two weeks ago. All spark plugs and coils replaced last summer.

RhinoZ24
08-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Have you cleaned your throttle body or serviced your injectors?

maclegend43
08-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Haven't done either. I was just thinking that cleaning the throttle body might help, not sure how to service the injectors?

RhinoZ24
08-01-2013, 01:11 AM
It will a little, at least better the throttle response. And there's chemicals you can dump in your tank like Lucas or ZMax. To be honest I'd recommend having a mechanic do an injection cleaning if you don't know how to do it properly. It'll ensure the best clean. Those are the only other things I can think of if your not throwing codes and have changed the oil regularly, the filters recently, and the plugs as well. Well your cats could also be clogged on your exhaust creating excess back pressure. Have your MPG's decreased drastically where you've noticed? As for the whining, someone else will probably answer tomorrow to help you with that.

maclegend43
08-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Before it went into the shop I was getting 11 mpg, now that I have it back I'm getting about 5 mpg, not sure if that has anything to do with my transfer case though.

rynbrdnr
08-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Not 100% sure if a misfire will blink the CEL on our trucks but if your injectors are clogged or not spitting the way they should it could cause a misfire which in turn could be a reason you've experienced a power loss.

RhinoZ24
08-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Not 100% sure if a misfire will blink the CEL on our trucks but if your injectors are clogged or not spitting the way they should it could cause a misfire which in turn could be a reason you've experienced a power loss.

Misfire causes the CEL to blink. And I'd say injectors are clogged