PDA

View Full Version : Mods to help me want to stick with an F150

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
So I'm kind of getting bored with my stock 04 non heritage fiddy. I'm seriously thinking about a Diesel Super Duty. However, if I could do a few things to my truck to help me like it a little better I might keep it. Mainly the thing is that even with diesel price being 30 cents more than gas, I can still drive one for cheaper than my fiddy cause I get 14 mpg TOPS, usually 13-13.5. So if I could kick the mpgs up to about 16-17 I'd be happier with keeping it. I'm thinking about an intake, exhaust System, and probably a tuner. With all o those, or a combination of them, is it really possible to get 3 mpg better mileage? I also may put a leveling kit on, and I know that will knock it back down a tiny bit probably. Thoughts people?!?

RhinoZ24
10-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Move to CA diesel is like $.25 cheaper than gas right now lol. And they will help a little, maybe not 3 mpg. The leveling kit will bring it down again because you gain wind resistance. What kind and size of tires do you have on your truck currently?

Raptor05121
10-22-2012, 11:18 PM
A programmer and electric fan will help the most with MPGs and power. You'd probably gain a MPG. But if your into saving gas, spending $500 is going to take a while to offset that gain...

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
10-23-2012, 07:07 AM
I've got 17 inch like 265 BFG rugged trail TAs on it right now. Not the best, but that's what it came with.....pretty well it's totally stock right now. How will the intake and exhaust help out if I do that? Can I expect a mpg better if I do an intake? Or is that totally unrealistic? I guess I'm okay with spending a little money up front if in the long run, my operating costs will go down.

djfllmn
10-23-2012, 07:56 AM
CAI and exhaust systems dont do a damn thing besides sound cool

RhinoZ24
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Depends on the intake you get actually. And you have AT's then, try and find some street tires unless you go offroading in your truck.

dixie_boysles
10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
A programmer and electric fan will help the most with MPGs and power. You'd probably gain a MPG. But if your into saving gas, spending $500 is going to take a while to offset that gain...

I have both with no gas savings

Raptor05121
10-24-2012, 08:52 AM
I have both with no gas savings

I agree. I don't have a noticeable difference, either. With all the mods in my sig, I'm probably seeing 1mpg gain over stock

Intakes will give you about 0.5-1.0 rwhp gain and they dont do jack squat for mileage

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
10-26-2012, 03:40 AM
Depends on the intake you get actually. And you have AT's then, try and find some street tires unless you go offroading in your truck.
I live in Oregon....I also work for a farmer and run my own farm so it does get some offroad, ohh and I'm a hunter too lol I'm thinking about getting a set of Michellins on another set of wheels for when I don't want to run ATs....

Sounds like I just need to eat it and do whatever the hell I want with my truck to make it more fun lol!

----------

I live in Oregon....I also work for a farmer and run my own farm so it does get some offroad, ohh and I'm a hunter too lol I'm thinking about getting a set of Michellins on another set of wheels for when I don't want to run ATs....

Sounds like I just need to eat it and do whatever the hell I want with my truck to make it more fun lol!

Jersey_Joe
10-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Yes!!! Just spend the money and get good tires. U get what u pay for. Toyo open country's mts. Good year dura track. Check these two brands out. These r prob the only two tire I will buy. But that's just me bro. But treat yourself. Get a good tire ya know. You'll appriciate it in the wi yet fo sho. Lol

----------

Winter

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Just found some 2007 20" tires and wheels on CL for $600, they're the nicer 6 spoke ones...tempting....:) I might run down to the local offroad shop this afternoon and sell what they'll get me an intake for and maybe an exhaust....I might just have to make this thing really mine!! I've been watching for a toolbox on CL too....might have to do that...275s are fine with no rubbing on a stock 04.... 285s? Too big?

Jersey_Joe
10-26-2012, 01:38 PM
305's should fit with no rubbing

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
10-27-2012, 03:28 AM
That big will fit? Really, wow!

Jersey_Joe
10-27-2012, 06:39 AM
But keep in mind If u have a stock wheel it may not be the safest thing In the world. Lol. 295-85 r expensive enough. Lol

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
10-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah I'll probably go with the 275s or 285s.

So programmers.....I have always like what I saw with the Banks Automind, but I don't see a lot of people using them on here. I know a lot of guys like the Edge Evolution. I am looking at that, and I like the fact that they mount right into the dash with the plastic piece, what are you guy's opinions on the best programmer/chip? I'm mostly looking for fuel savings, but I also want the ability to throw it in tow mode because I do a decent amount of towing with it. As well as a Sport mode would be nice too:)=D The Automind is about $300-370 depending on where you get it, and the Edge Evolution is $419 from Edge.....thoughts? The Edge has hp gains up to 35hp and torque gains up to 50ftlb, the Banks has....it's hard to find stats on the Banks....from what I'm seeing, the Edge Evolution probably monitors more things....as would seem right since the Banks is a plug in and cost less and the Edge is a mounted one with a small monitor....