PDA

View Full Version : New for me '91 f150 v8 302

Nicu7
10-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I just picked up an f150 today. It's a '91 lariat v8 5.0 302. I was looking at getting an engine rebuild kit to give this thing a overhaul before I start using it. Can anyone suggest where and what kit to buy? The truck has 145k miles on it. There is a slight tick coming from upper portion of engine when started. Is a Hayes manual a good guide or is there something better out there? Thanks, Jeremy.

Jersey_Joe
10-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Plenty of options for that motor my freind. JEGS or Summit racing has those kits. I'm sure there cheaper kits and plenty of other engine options out there. U just have to search. U can get a long block from ford for 1200$. And just dress it as u wish. All depends on what I've looking to do. Conservative driving. Or aggressive driving. Plenty of ways to go sir.

Nicu7
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks, I saw some kits on summit. Do you know a good place to find technical engine specs? Many of those rebuild kits have different bore sizes. I want to learn as much about this motor as possible. I checked out some ford engine rebuild books but people are tearing those things up. Mostly 1star ratings. Thanks for any help you can shoot my way. I'm pretty much just using this truck to putter around town, no pulling trailers or big loads.

Jersey_Joe
10-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Well. If it was me? Here is what I would do. I'd put a descent 5.0 in it. Plenty of mustang kits out there if ur gonna drive her around town every day. It would b nice to have a little ass and a good rumble to ya. Know? Ill see what I can dig up for ya though

Nicu7
10-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Ha my second car is a '08 mustang gt with full Mac exhaust, eibach coil-overs, steeda intake, gt500 throttle body, bama 93 race tune and soon to be cammed. Shes loud and fast enough for me. I'm just looking for something to drive when it's raining or snowing out. I would love to chuck a bunch of money into this truck but I would rather just try and fix her up a bit. Thanks for the advice, Jeremy.

Jersey_Joe
10-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Yeah my second is also a mustang. Lol. Well we r in the same boat. My truck is around fer the same reasons. Lol. But I did go for power when I rebuilt my 03. Good luck bro. Keep me updated

Nicu7
12-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Pulling the motor this weekend. Bought a master rebuild kit online. Hopefully I can get this thing running like new.

5.0Flareside
03-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Pulling the motor this weekend. Bought a master rebuild kit online. Hopefully I can get this thing running like new.

You didn't... Ya have to have it machined first before ya buy a rebuild kit.. Ya don't know if you need to go .030 or .040 overbore as well as if the crank needed to be ground .010-.010 to be smooth again...

Sent from my iPhone using Ford Power