PDA

View Full Version : Improving Performance

RhinoZ24
10-15-2012, 11:08 PM
I know it's probably been discussed before, but I'm looking for ways to tune up my truck. I have a 2005 F-150 4.6L 2V and I love it. The only thing is that it definitely lacks power and the gas mileage is a little low (about 13 combined city and highway, but I did put on 18" all terrain tires which brought it down a good 1 mpg). I'm going to be ordering a Volant Powercore Cold Air Intake soon which is supposed to boost it up by 18 HP from the original 231 HP, and hopefully help the acceleration. I also plan on eventually getting a Flowmaster American Thunder true dual exhaust system to make it sound better and hopefully increase the performance a bit. I don't tow much so I'm not worried too much about increasing the torque, I just want more HP, mpg, and better throttle response because let's face it the 4.6L lags compared to the 5.4L. Any suggestions would help (I'm not planning on super/turbo charging it as its a little too pricey) also any good programming chips to help the engine breath better?

Raptor05121
10-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Don't waste your money. There is no way in hell you will get 18rwhp out of an intake. You'd be lucky to get 1-2hp. Instead, check this out: http://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos/368044-do-yourself-intake-modification-2004-2008-a.html

Spend your money on an SCT Xcal3 or the like. That will give you about 10-15 ponies and also lighten up on the fuel a bit. The exhaust theoretically should help, but Ford's exhaust from the factory are pretty-free flowing as it is, so you're only gain would be sound.

RhinoZ24
10-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Alirght I'll check it out thanks, and yeah the muffler is so damn big it makes it too quiet.

----------

Ok on that site it says its already a cold air intake, just with a small inlet, where is it sucking in air from because I assumed it was coming from the engine compartment through the holes in the fenderwall right next to the inlet?

codwel09
10-17-2012, 05:02 AM
I believe the only thing covering the bottom of the inside of the fender wall is your fender well, which is not completely enclosed throughout your fender wall so you will have plenty of airflow, without all the dirt and grime from your wheels.

2005 XLT 5.4L V8, flow master catback duals

RhinoZ24
10-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Alright thanks

RhinoZ24
10-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Don't waste your money. There is no way in hell you will get 18rwhp out of an intake. You'd be lucky to get 1-2hp. Instead, check this out: http://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos/368044-do-yourself-intake-modification-2004-2008-a.html

Spend your money on an SCT Xcal3 or the like. That will give you about 10-15 ponies and also lighten up on the fuel a bit. The exhaust theoretically should help, but Ford's exhaust from the factory are pretty-free flowing as it is, so you're only gain would be sound.

Yeah, I forgot to post this, but it probably won't work. I have the 4.6L and the intake is completely different, the part that hooks into the fenderwall is all one part until where the air filter is. The pipe won't do.

Raptor05121
10-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I forgot to post this, but it probably won't work. I have the 4.6L and the intake is completely different, the part that hooks into the fenderwall is all one part until where the air filter is. The pipe won't do.

If you search that site, they have a write-up for 4.6Ls as well.

RhinoZ24
10-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh alright lol, will do. Thanks.